SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmaki

Pumpkin Layer Cake

Teresa_MN
13 years ago

I was reading the local paper online and right in the middle of a story on the flooding going on here a picture popped up.

As I've said before, I don't like sweets, but this Lucious Four-Layer Pumpking Cake did catch my attention.

I might have to try making this for my niece's two boys.

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Layer Pumpking Cake

Comments (26)

• lindac
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A friend made this one last fall....and it's heaven! I need to get some elusive pumpkin and whipping cream and make one this weekend. I already have the cream cheese!
    Pumpkin Cheesecake Bonnie Benesh

Prep time: 30 minutes Serves: 10-12
    Cooking time: 65-75 minutes

Crust:
    1 1/2 cups graham cracker or ginger snaps (I like 1/2 of each)
    5 T. butter, melted
    1 T. sugar

Filling:
    3-8oz. pkgs. cream cheese, softened
    1 C. canned pumpkin
    3 eggs
    1/2 t. cinnamon
    1/4 t. nutmeg
    1/4 t. allspice

Topping;
    1 C. heavy cream
    1/2 C. sugar
    1 t. white vanilla
    1/2 C. chopped pecans

Mix crust ingredients together, just until coated and crumbly. Press onto the bottom and two-thirds of the way up the sides of an 8" spring form pan. Bake for 5 minutes at 350F. Set aside.

Combine cheese, sugar and vanilla in large bowl, mix until smooth with an electric mixer. Add pumpkin, eggs, and spices and beat until smooth and creamy. Pour into the crust. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until the top turns a bit darker. Remove from oven and allow to come to room temperature, then refrigerate.

Just before serving, whip the cream, sugar and white vanilla.

After cake has thoroughly chilled, add the whipped cream topping and sprinkle nuts over the cream. Remove the pan sides and cut.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

I was just thinking about making a pumpkin cake a few days ago. I've already bought my canned pumpkin.

Here's the recipe I was looking at, it's from Joy of Baking and even has maple syrup in the frosting....

Pumpkin Spice Cake

1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 1/4 cups (270 grams) light brown sugar

2 large eggs

1 cup (240 ml) fresh or canned pure pumpkin (about 1/2 of a 15 ounce can)

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

2 cups (200 grams) sifted cake flour

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 cup (120 ml) buttermilk, room temperature

Cream Cheese Frosting:

8 ounces (228 grams) cream cheese, room temperature

1/4 cup (56 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature

2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (preferably Grade A Dark Amber)

3 - 3 1/2 cups (345-410 grams) confectioners' (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Butter and flour (or spray with Baker's Joy) two - 8 inch (20 cm) cake pans.

Cake: In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the pumpkin puree and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to the pumpkin batter, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Divide the batter in half and then pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake for approximately 25 - 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then invert and remove the cakes from their pans. Cool completely before frosting.

Frosting: Place the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of your food processor (or use a hand mixer) and pulse until smooth. Add the maple syrup and confectioners' sugar and process just to combine. (Do not over process or the frosting will be too thin.) Adjust syrup or sugar until you have the right consistency.

Assemble: Place one of the cake layers, top side down, on a serving plate. Frost with a layer of icing. Place the second cake, top side down, onto the first layer and frost the top and sides of the cake. Garnish with toasted nuts, if desired. Refrigerate but bring to room temperature before serving.

For Garnish:

1/2 cup (50 grams) toasted and chopped walnuts or pecans

Teresa, your's sounds good but I'm not much on using cake mixes or Cool Whip. Funny how cream cheese and pumpkin go together so well though. Linda, the cheesecake sounds wonderful too. Nancy Here is a link that might be useful: [Pumpkin Spice Cake](http://www.joyofbaking.com/printpages/PumpkinSpiceCakeprint.html)
  • Related Discussions

Gelled coffee glaze on layer cake....

Q

Comments (10)
    When you say "gelatin", do you mean like jell-o in clarity and texture? Do you just mean translucent? Or just mean gel texture but not clear? Could it be a coffee chocolate ganache? Those are quite popular. You could make strong coffee flavored gelatin with plain (unflavored and unsugared) gelatin, substituting strong coffee for the water, and perhaps using less liquid than directions say for more body. Flavor with sugar, cream, etc., as it pleases you. Make it in a thin layer on parchment in a jellyroll pan if you want to cut out a shape, or on parchment in your cake pan if you want it the exact size and shape of your cake. Then, just demold, and invert carefully. But I have a feeling it's more like a ganache. Or a classic icing made with piping gel. Here's a blog with a good description of how to make piping gel. I've only ever used the bought kind as is for small decorations, and I'm more of a bundt cake than frosting person, so I can't advise further on that. I suppose you could make a whole sheet of piping gel to top a cake, though, and it does kind of sound like what you ate. Coffee flavor is a standard bakery product, as is commercially made piping gel. You can also get the strong coffee flavor, as I said above, by reducing coffee, though you'd have to go a far way down to use in piping gel. An alternative would be to dissolve espresso powder to taste in the required amount of liquid.
    ...See More

LOOKING for: 4 layer cake, help with frosting and filling !!!!

Q

Comments (1)
    When you mix meringues with whipped cream they will turn into blobs of tough goo. Hope the rest of the cake turned out well.
    ...See More

Can I use this puff pastry tart filling as layer cake filling?

Q

Comments (4)
    I wouldn't make this with cream cheese without adjusting the recipe. It should need more cream and sugar, or less cheese. Cream cheese would be more stable and keep better than mascarpone, though. I remember you didn't like the sugariness of the cake, though, so cream cheese might be a good option. It has a little acid bite to it, and would counter the sugar some. And if you wanted to accentuate the bite, you wouldn't have to add more sugar. :) My mother has made many versions of this for Passover. Pesach sponge is tougher than flour sponge, and it's still pretty awful after a night in the fridge. It holds fine between 3 p.m. and dessert, but not much longer. The cream melts and goes icky if it sits out or the sponge, besides soaking up the liquid, starts to take on the flavors of the fridge, even when well covered. Further caution, it's even worse with berries in the filling. You might have better success. Really you might! I'm just having some bad memories (and my mother is an awesome cook and housekeeper). Still, I'd plan to make and serve the same day.
    ...See More

Pepperidge Farm Frozen Layer Cake are really good!

Q

Comments (29)
    Cindy, I'm not as WonderWoman as I used to be, since I am retired. It's much less busy than it was back when I was a single Mom with a full time job and still trying to help Dad farm. Just as well, I'm not sure I want to do it all any more, it's someone else's turn. Now I just want to do what I like, which is cooking and canning and farming! Thanks, AKgirl, but as you can see from my "failed bread" thread, I come here for expert instruction myself. I can tell you how to can venison or pluck a chicken or grow tomatoes, but darned if I can get that 100% whole wheat bread right. That's fine, I like a challenge sometimes. Angelaid, my husband and kids are spoiled so they'd eat it but they'd ask if I felt OK or if the oven was broke. (grin) Elery never baked much so I'm sure his kids would eat it without question, as would all of the grandkids on both sides of our blended family. I just like to bake, so I do. Annie
    ...See More
  • Nancy
    13 years ago

Yum, I may have to try that cake too, Teresa. I've made that pumpkin cheesecake, just something I didn't care for, although many people rave about it.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

I made a pumpkin cheesecake with gingersnap crust a couple of years ago for thanksgiving and everyone loved it, but I like just pumpkin pie better. Oh yeah, probably because I don't really care about cheesecake, LOL. I did really like the sugared cranberries I made for decoration, though.

I do love pumpkin roll, though and Elery is still talking about Nancy's pumpkin strudel she made the last time we came and had dinner with her, so I agree, pumpkin and cream cheese just go together.

I keep threatening to make Paula Deen's pumpkin gooey cake, but I never have a cake mix on hand when I think about making it and I never remember when I'm at the store to buy one.

Somehow I'm just sure I'd like all those pumpkin desserts, I'll have a piece of each, please.

Annie

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Annie - I am not familiar with Paula Deans, Gooey Pumpking cake - did I miss the recipe? I have been known to make cake mix recipes once in a while if they are irrestible. Remember the Cake Balls from a few years ago? I am now thinking of using the pumpkin whoopie pie cookie part for the cake and cinnamon cream cheese frosting for the frosting part. Maybe dip them in white chocolate? Anyway, I am typing stream of consciousness here....

There can't be a pumpkin dessert thread that doesn;t include the world famous pumpkin whoopie pies. These have gotten rave reviews from everyone who has made them or eaten them. And yes, they call for Fluff.... but what are a few chemicals between friends LOLOLOL!

Alexa

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
    Cookie Cake Ingredients:
    2 egg yolks
    2c brown sugar
    1c vegetable oil
    2c cooked pumpkin (or 1-15 oz can)
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. ginger
    1 tsp cloves
    1 tsp cinnamon
    3c flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    Beat egg yolks, brown sugar and oil together, add pumpkin and vanilla and beat until smooth.
    Mix in dry ingredients.
    Drop heaping tablespoons of batter on lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Cool on cookie rack. Mix filling ingredients and fill cookies like a sandwich. Makes about 18 pies.
    Filling Ingredients:
    1/2c butter
    4 oz. marshmallow fluff
    8 oz. cream cheese
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    2 1/2c powdered sugar
    1/2 tsp nutmeg

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alexa - I remember you posting pictures of your pumpkin whoopie pies at the hosta forum! I'm trying to remember how you tied it into the subject of hostas......did you garnish it with a hosta leaf? Or maybe you said you were going to name one of your hosta seedlings "Whoopie Pie?"
    (wink)

T

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Alexa, someone posted that gooey cake recipe here, or some gooey cake recipe and it kind of melted into the pumpkin discussion, LOL.

Here it is, any way;

Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cakes
    Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Serves: 6 to 8 servings

Cake:
    1 (18 1/4-ounce) package yellow cake mix
    1 egg
    8 tablespoons butter, melted
    Filling:
    1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
    3 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    8 tablespoons butter, melted
    1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan.

To make the filling: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter, and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix well. Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to overbake as the center should be a little gooey.

Serve with fresh whipped cream.

Variations: For a Pineapple Gooey Cake: Instead of the pumpkin, add a drained 20-ounce can of crushed pineapple to the cream cheese filling. Proceed as directed above.

For a Banana Gooey Cake: Prepare cream cheese filling as directed, beating in 2 ripe bananas instead of the pumpkin. Proceed as directed above.

For a Peanut Butter Gooey Cake: Use a chocolate cake mix. Add 1 cup creamy peanut butter to the cream cheese filling instead of the pumpkin. Proceed as directed above.

Annie

• lindac
    13 years ago

Annie....pumpkin roll?? Like a jelly roll? using pumpkin cake and filled with whipped cream maybe? Do you have such a T and T recipe?

• chase_gw
    13 years ago

Great thread Teresa and very timely given our Canadian Thanksgiving is just two weeks away!

I saw this recipe in this months Fine Cooking and it is calling my name for T-Day dessert but I'd be shot if there was no pumpkin pie. Are two pumpkin desserts one too many?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin Layer Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Yes, LindaC, like a pumpkin cake, rolled like a jelly roll, but with a cream cheese filling. It's easy, fast, yummy. I love it.

I know Ann T has a recipe for it too, but this is the one I use, from the Libby's Pumpkin Company:

Pumpkin Roll

CAKE

1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 large eggs
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2/3 cup LIBBY'S� 100% Pure Pumpkin
    1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

FILLING

1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
    1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
    6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Powdered sugar (optional for decoration)

FOR CAKE:

PREHEAT oven to 375� F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.

COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with nuts.

BAKE for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. (If using a dark-colored pan, begin checking for doneness at 11 minutes.) Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.

FOR FILLING:

BEAT cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.

COOKING TIP:
    Be sure to put enough powdered sugar on the towel when rolling up the cake so it will not stick.

Oh yeah, it's moist and spicy and cream cheese-y. Yes, that's a word, LOL.

Annie

• lindac
    13 years ago

Yum....and I'll bet it would be good with lemon curd inside and frosted on top with the cream cheese frosting...
    And easy!! That's a snap to make...like that famous Burrows summer tort.
    Linda C

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Teresa, the recipe came from the Hosta Forum, I just relayed my experiences back to the OP. It is definitely a keeper though.
    And I can vouch for the Libby's Pumpkin Roll. One of my neighbors makes it quite often and it is killer.

Alexa

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Did you mean it came from the CF? Oh well - wherever it came from I forwarded the recipe and picture onto some family members who loved it. And I thought of it today when I started this thread!

Teresa

• ann_t
    13 years ago

Annie,

The recipes are pretty much the same except for the spices.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Pumpkin Roll
    ============
    3 Eggs
    1 cup sugar
    2/3 cup pumpkin
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    3/4 cup flour
    2 teaspoons cinnamom
    1 teaspoon ginger
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 cup chopped nuts
    Filling
    1 cup powdered sugar
    8 ounces cream cheese
    4 tablespoons Butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    . Beat eggs 5 minutes at high speed, adding the sugar, until foamy. Fold
    in pumpkin and lemon juice. Sift together flour, cinnamon, ginger,
    baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg. Fold into egg mixture. Spread onto
    well greased and floured 15 X 10 X 1 inch jellyroll pan. Top with nuts.
    Bake at 375 degree for 15 minutes.

While hot , turn cake onto a pastry cloth sprinkled with powdered
    sugar. Roll in pastry cloth and let cool.

Beat together filling ingredients. Unroll cake, remove cloth and spread
    filling on cake.

Roll filling inside cake. Let stand until cold. Slices better when
    frozen, freeze, then remove for several minutes before cutting.

• caliloo
    13 years ago

LOL! Earth to Teresa!

"Teresa, the recipe came from the Hosta Forum, I just relayed my experiences back to the OP."

I got the recipe from Hostabuff on the Hosta Forum several years ago.

Alexa

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alexa - I don't recall any recipes or recipe thread mentioned at the hosta forum. I do remember hostabuff quite well though.

As I said I don't think it mattered where the recipe came from. Your photos and your comments on the end product were memorable. And I passed it along to several family members that enjoyed it.

Teresa on Mars back @ Alexa on Earth! (grin)

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Ann, I knew yours was very similar. Funny how I could find the Libby's recipe on line but I couldn't find yours, you're blocked by the county's "sonic wall". LOLOL I didn't know you were that racy at Thibeault's Table.....

Oh, and as for the pumpkin shortage, I bought two cans of Libby's tonight at the grocery store. $1.89 for a 15 ounce can, I was appalled!

Annie

• lindac
    13 years ago

I found it....not very hard....On the hosta forum, recieved very good reviews.
    And Theresa you even posted to it.
    Pumpkin Whoopie pies....sounds like a good thing!!Thanks Alexa!
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta recipes.

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lindac - is there any particular reason you continually spell my incorrectly?

And yes I remember Alexa's post at the HF and remember posting to it. That is why I mentioned it above.

Teresa

• lindac
    13 years ago

Sorry...I forget there might be a different way of spelling it.
    My grandmother's name was Theresa and my mother's given name was Theresa, my daughter's best friend in high school was Theresa and my father had a certain reverence for Saint Theresa, the Little Flower.
    I'll try to remember that you prefer a different spelling.
    Linda C

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I do know the way of spelling Teresa is more common with an "H" than without the "H". :-)

• caliloo
    13 years ago

I know the Libby's site has a ton of recipes for pumpkin and I'm sure many of them are wonderful, but when I had called their customer service a couple of weeks ago to inquire when they would be shipping again, the CSA sent me an envelope with several additional pumpkin recipes. Rather than scanning all of them (some are pretty lame) I am going to list them and if anyone is interested I can scan or type the particular recipe. One that I know I will be trying soon is the pumpking oatmeal.

Pumpkin Oatmeal - make oatmeal according to directions. For each bowl add 2 tbsp canned pumpkin and 1 tbsp maple syrup.

The others are:
    Pumpkin Peanut Butter Sandwich
    Pumpkin Mousse
    Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies
    Pumpkin Spice Muffins
    Pumpkin Latte
    Pumpkin Corn Muffins
    Pumpkin Cranberry Bread
    Pumpkin Nut Loaf
    Pumpkin Cream Pie
    Pumpkin Cookies

Then they have a list of several ideas where you can add pumpkin to "boost fiber and nutrition" in regular recipes:

Pasta Sauce
    Mashed Potatoes
    Hot Cocoa (I'm not trying this LOL)
    Brown Rice
    Chili
    Hummus

Anyway, if anyone wants any of those recipes I can scan or type them since I did not bother to check if they are on the Libby's web site.

Alexa

• lindac
    13 years ago

i am not a fan of pumpkin except in baked things with sugar and spice....but for a southwest style pumpkin soup.
    That pumpkin cranberry bread sounds like it might be interesting.
    Linda C

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Actually, I did find that one on the Libby's site....

LIBBY'S® Pumpkin Cranberry Bread

Estimated Times:
    Preparation - 10 min : Cooking - 1 hrs : Cooling Time - 30 min cooling : Yields - 24 slices (12 slices per loaf)
    Enjoy this irresistibly moist and flavorful bread. Delicious for breakfast or snack. One batch makes two large loaves; one for now and one for later. Or bake into mini loaves. They make great gifts for teachers, neighbors and friends!
    Source:
    Ingredients:

3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    3 cups granulated sugar
    1 can (15 ounces) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
    4 large eggs
    1 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup orange juice or water
    1 cup sweetened dried, fresh or frozen cranberries
    Directions:

PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease and flour two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.

COMBINE flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Combine sugar, pumpkin, eggs, oil and juice in large mixer bowl; beat until just blended. Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in cranberries. Spoon batter into prepared loaf pans.

BAKE for 60 to 65 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Recipe makes two loaves.

FOR THREE 8 x 4-INCH LOAF PANS:
    PREPARE as above. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes.

FOR FIVE OR SIX 5 x 3-INCH MINI-LOAF PANS:
    PREPARE as above. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes.
    Remember to follow baking instructions before consuming.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

The last line in that recipe for cranberry bread....

"Remember to follow baking instructions before consuming."

Is this some new warning law?

I realize it's because of the eggs, but if I want to taste my dough I will. I have been a taster my entire life. (grin)
    They didn't develop cookie dough ice cream because no one likes the dough. (double grin)

Nancy

• lorijean44
    13 years ago

We live in a litigious society, unfortunately. Disclaimers abound!

Lori :-/