SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
may_flowers

Bakers, is this a good lemon cake recipe?

Gracie
10 years ago

I'd really appreciate it if you'd look over this recipe and tell me if it's a good one. It's from a blog and I know they can be hit or miss. I haven't made a layer cake in years and don't want to be disappointed after all that work. She also suggested cutting back the sugar, so I'm wondering if the ratio is correct. I know sour cream makes a moist cake, so I prefer it in baking.

Also, if you have a lemon cake recipe you love, please share!

Sour Cream Lemon Cake with Lemon Buttercream Icing

2 cups All-Purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 cup Butter, room temperature
2 cups Granulated Sugar
3 eggs
Zest from one lemon
1 cup Sour Cream

Lemon Buttercream Icing

1/2 cup Butter, room temperature
1/2 cup Shortening
2 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
1 tsp Lemon Zest
3-4 cups Confectioners Sugar, sifted

Preheat oven for 325�F. Grease and flour two cake pans.

In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl or a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Beat at high speed until the mixture is very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the side frequently. Blend in the lemon zest. Add flour mixture to the cream mixture, alternating with the sour cream, until well mixed.

Pour batter into the prepared cake pans and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean. You can also use a bundt pan, baking it for 55-65 minutes.

Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a baking rack to completely cool.

To make the icing:
In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream together butter and shortening until light and fluffy. Mix in lemon juice and zest.

Gradually add in confectioners sugar, one cup at a time, beating well. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. If the icing is dry, add more juice or milk until light and fluffy.

Once the cake is completely cool, place the first layer on a cake plate. Spread a thick layer of icing on the top. Take the other cake layer and place directly on top. Spread icing on the top and sides of the cake. Sprinkle additional lemon zest onto the top, if desired.

Cake Recipe Adapted from Diana Rattray, About.com Southern Food
Icing Recipe Adapted from Wilton's

� Copyright 2013 Small Home Big Start
http://smallhomebigstart.blogspot.com/2013/03/sour-cream-lemon-cake-with-lemon-easter-dessert.html

Comments (22)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES