Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter squash varieties

Posted by sleevendog (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 10:16

Did not expect such a variety of squash/pumpkin harvest. Used a back area that was resting this season.
(i use a very passive, easy, no till method of gardening. Rotate crops, compost and cover for year.)
Researching how to use them i found they have different shelf lives.
Not just for halloween anymore. I want to cook with these puppies.
This guy has a good video...

I had no idea they store so well at room temp.

Here is a link that might be useful: storing pumpkins and squash

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter squash varieties

A bit odd though. As i was cleaning off my counter of a big fennel bouquet that was spitting seed everywhere, a smallish white pumpkin, though very heavy, seems a bit soft-ish. Probably not a long keeper and needs to be used? All the rest i just left in the garden or barn to decide and research what to do.

o

sleevendog, I usually grow butternut, acorn, some pumpkins. This year they did not do well, but other years I've had butternut squash keep in the garage until Thanksgiving, so that's about 2 months. They would keep longer except they freeze. I've had them in the root cellar well into January, which is about 3 months and about the limit. Acorn squash will last a couple of months, but the pumpkins do not seem to store as well, although I'm told they should be able to be kept "until Christmas" for holiday pies.

I don't wash them, and I store them in the root cellar on pallets full of sand. I use the ones that have marks or blemishes or have the stems broken off. You have to make sure the squash is pretty ripe too, immature ones don't have a tough enough skin to keep well.

Not all pumpkins keep well, either, so your white pumpkin might be one of those varieties.

Lovely bunch of squash, though!

Annie

Annie

o

Thanks Annie. My basement level is half into bedrock and stays cool all winter without a freeze so i'll store and keep an eye on them. Looking forward to some new winter flavors. Did not realize they might explode in the oven if not cut open, lol.
-a legendary family story when my dad roasted chestnuts in an open fire...pow, pow!

o

Very nice garden, Sleevendog.

My favorite squash is Kobocha. Too bad I don't have the room in my garden to grow them.

dcarch

o

LOL, sleevendog, I've never had a squash explode, and only once did a baked potato go "boom". Heckuva mess....

I usually take a fork and poke holes in the squash if I'm cooking them whole, like the acorns but I usually cut them in half, scoop out the seeds and bake, cut side down or I peel and cube them, then roast them with a mixture of other vegetables. Very yummy...

Any leftover mashed squash can be used like pumpkin in pies or custard and I make a yeast bread that contains pureed squash and honey, the kids like that a lot, especially rolled up with cinnamon filling and made into cinnamon rolls.

You definitely have a bounty there, although I've tried nearly all varieties I still like butternut the best. Plus they are resistant to the squash vine borers, so that's a benefit.

Annie

o

Squash vine borers, 3 of the worst words in my garden, and why I've given up growing squash. sigh.

Annie, that bread you make, can you post the recipe? It sound like a wonderful way to get a vegetable into my grandson.

Sally

o

Here's how I get butternut to keep into the following summer: Cut stems at least 1 1/2 inches long. Handle squash as if they were new born babies so there is no hidden bruising. Wipe squash with a weak bleach/ water solution. Place in cool, dry place. I use the pantry off my kitchen.

o

Oops, too late for the newborn rule. Between the dropsies, the ones that grew stuck in a fallen trellis, and the bumpy ride behind my tractor 'hog' to the barn...and did some mowing on the way....then a detour to pick some sunflower heads for drying...bumpity bump. (and full throttle, haha).
I'll take some of those squash vine borers for next year. Too much harvest. Still picking blueberries! Unheard of in these parts. Freezer is full. Another crate of Asian pears still on tree. Ran down before sunset and stuffed some more basil in my vest pockets...need to go find vest and harvest pockets. Off to do my 'hurry up and frost already' dance.
The nice thing about living in a four season climate is that i'll get a break soon!

-check your soil around your squash plants. The cocoons will be there and waiting and rather shallow for next year. I use the white row cover cloth early when plants are getting established. I plant a dozen seeds per hill and let the four strong ones survive and watch them. You can even wrap a bit of cloth strips around the stems and tuck into the soil.

o

Sally, everyone seems to like this recipe. It's more soft and squishy and kind of sweet, instead of crusty. I brush the tops with melted butter when they are done. I use the bread machine to make the dough, just put in the wet ingredients, then the dry, be sure to check after it starts kneading to make sure you don't need to add flour. Sometimes the squash is "jucier" than other times. I've used canned pumpkin chunks, mashed with a fork, and frozen squash puree, they work fine too. When the machine finishes the "dough" cycle I remove the dough, shape it, let it rise and bake in the oven. I usually roll the dough out and cut it with a biscuit cutter. You can also make these with sugar, white or brown, but I like local honey in them and I often use the dough to make cinnamon rolls, then drizzle them with maple or apple cider glaze.

Butternut Squash Dinner Rolls

1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
1 teaspoon sugar
2/3 cup warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°)
1 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup honey
•1 teaspoon salt
•2 cups whole wheat flour
•2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes Stir in the milk, squash, butter, brown sugar and salt. Add whole wheat flour. beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; divide into 20 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. With a sharp knife, make shallow slashes on top of rolls. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Bake at 375 for 15-17 minutes.

photo IMG_6294.jpg

Annie

o

Thanks, Annie! They look really good. The picture helps, too, as a guide to what they should look like.

Sally

o

You're welcome, Sally. As you can see, they have a lovely golden color. The very picky Princess and her Bruvver eat them up, although they know there is squash in there.

Annie

o

OK so please don't roll your eyes at how uninformed I am, but I grow Delicata, my absolute favorite squash. Not a huge harvest this year because, I assume, of the late start to summer weather. I have maybe 6-8 squash on the vines now and still plenty of blossoms that will not have time to mature. So I will savor the few that I get and hope for better luck next season.

Here is my question:

Is Delicata a summer or winter squash, and what is the difference between the two?

Linda

o

Delicata actually falls between the two categories.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here