SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldgirl_gw

Any T&T recipes for caramel anything?

goldgirl
11 years ago

I'm probably in the minority, but have always preferred caramel over chocolate when it comes to desserts, ice cream topping, etc. Don't get me wrong, I like chocolate, but salted caramels and toffee are heaven to me.

With fall approaching, anyone care to share a favorite recipe involving caramel?

Sue

Comments (28)

• ann_t
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sue, as much as I love chocolate, I am with you on caramel.

I have a caramel sauce that I've made for years. I use it on everything - topping for bread and butter pudding, gingerbread cake, ice cream, etc.

Caramel Sauce
    =============

1 cup butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup cream
    Pinch of salt
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    . Mix all the ingredients together and simmer for about 5 or 6 minutes.

Serve over Bread and butter pudding, apple pie and icecream, warm
    gingerbread, Brownies and ice cream etc..

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Here are a couple of more recipes for confirmed caramel lovers.

This recipe takes Rice Krispie Squares to a whole new level.

Decadent Caramel Rice Krispies Squares
    Regular Rice Krispie Squares
    (thicker version)

1/2 cup butter
    400 g Marshmallows
    Pinch of salt (optional)
    1 tablespoon vanilla extra
    9 to 10 cups Rice Krispies

Melt butter and stir in marshmallows and pinch of salt. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and rice krispies. stir until well coated.

Pour into buttered 9 X 13 inch . (I use a pyrex glass) cake pan.

The idea for these squares comes from another blog - Pots and Pins.
    Nan, makes the rice krispies squares the normal thickness and pours her
    caramel over the top. Because her squares are not as thick, some of
    the caramel sits on top of the square forming a separate caramel layer.

In my version, I used my caramel sauce which does not contain corn
    syrup and because my squares are thicker, the caramel funnels it way
    through the whole square.

Prepare rice krispies squares. Set aside.

Caramel Sauce

1 cup butter
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup white sugar
    pinch of salt
    vanilla
    Coarse Sea Salt ( I use Maldon Salt Flakes)

Place butter, cream, sugars and pinch of salt in a heavy sauce pan.
    Simmer until caramel reaches the soft ball stage.

Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour caramel over rice krispies squares. Caramel sauce will slowly seep down through squares.
    Sprinkle with sea salt and refrigerate until cold.

Homemade Caramels

Caramels are very easy to make.

1 1/2 cups brown sugar
    1/2 cup white
    1/2 cup white corn syrup
    1 cup butter
    1 cup cream
    pinch of salt
    vanilla

Add all the ingredients to a large heavy sauce pan. Bring to a boil and cook to almost hard ball stage. (about 250� to 255�F on a candy thermometer). I prefer to test for soft ball and hard ball stage by using the cold water method.

Remove from heat and let the mixture cool slightly, stir and then pour into buttered pan or mini muffin tins. Refrigerate until firm enough to cut. Optional: Sprinkle with a little sea salt. I like to use the Maldon Sea Salt flakes.

These are the soft chewy caramels. Not hard toffee

• Related Discussions

T&T Enchilada Sauce Recipe

Q

Comments (16)
    I freeze Ann's Green Chili Sauce all the time. It's super easy and makes quite a bit. I was watching to see if Teresa would post her recipe but since she hasn't I hope she doesn't mind if I do. It also freezes well. Texas Red Enchilada Sauce Posted by TeresaNC 2 TB butter or margarine 2 TB flour 5 t. red chili powder - plain ground red chile, not a blend with garlic, oregano, etc. 1 1/2 t. ground cumin 2 t. garlic powder 6 oz. tomato paste 2 1/4 cups water salt and pepper Teresa's note: instead of the tomato paste and water, I used about 3 cups of crushed tomatoes because I was making pizza sauce at the same time and had opened a huge can of crushed tomatoes Melt butter/margarine in a sauce pan. Make a roux by browning flour in melted butter. Add spices and paste; stir until well blended into roux. Add water gradually, stirring constantly. Heat until boiling. Simmer and stir until desired thickness is achieved. Taste often and adjust spices as needed. Use immediately for a pan of enchiladas or cool, package, label and freeze. Linda
    ...See More

T&T holiday recipes

Q

Comments (34)
    So, lindac, you think what I said is "very odd", and you are determined to make sure everyone knows how you feel by posting your objection more than once. Not that you care, but Christmas means a lot to me, including recipes, so I quickly tuned in without ever checking a date. While your intelligence is surely appreciated, these forums are also full of your bark and bite replies which in mho could/should be tempered. As for Jasdip, who does not play by rules and apparently walks on water, I'm harshly chastised by her for not avoiding use of my blue pencil in games she'll be pleased to learn I shall no longer join. Although neither of you know me or anything about my life, it is not open to grouchy rudeness and unnecessary criticism, so I shall temporarily bring myself down to your levels by saying, with good humor, you can both KMA in Bloomingdale's window. No need to reply. Thanks to you I will no longer be here. Ta-ta.
    ...See More

Ok, send me your very best T&T Bread pudding recipes

Q

Comments (8)
    I must have missed something. Are you teaching cooking classes or something? Anyway, I just made Ann T's bread pudding and it is fabulous. I also made the caramel sauce to go with it. We ate it for three days. Yummy. 5-6 slices of bread 1/2 cup butter 1 to 1-1/2 cups sugar 5 eggs 2 cups cream (or milk)(I use half and half) i tsp.vanilla pinch of salt ( I actually used 8 slices of sliced Italian loaf, which is smaller than standard bread. When I use more than 8 slices, it soaks up too much sauce and is rather dry) Cut crusts from bread and spread eachslice with butter. Then quarter the bread. Place bread buttered side up in oven proof dish. Beat the sugar and eggs together and thena add the cream, vanilla and salt. Pour over the bread and allow the bread to absorb. (May be refrigerated at this point and baked later). Sprinkle withsome white sugar and place dish into a pan of hot water. Bake in a 350 oven for 45 min to i hour until pudding is set and golden. Caramel Sauce 1 cup butter 1 cup sugar 1 cup brown sugar 1 cup cream pinch of salt 2 tsp vanilla Bring butter, white and brown sugars, and salt to boil and then simmer 3-4 minutes (I actually simmer close to 10 minutes). Remove from heat and add the vanilla. I serve all of this warm. It is very rich and very delicious. I never liked bread pudding until I tasted this recipe.
    ...See More

Make Ahead Meals--T&T Recipes or Cookbooks?

Q

Comments (30)
    Lars' Algerian Chicken is easy, delicious and just as good cold or at room temperature as it is hot. It's good reheated or made into sandwiches or chicken salad too. I like it a lot. However, here in the sticks I can't often pick up the more unusual ingredients, and I never have fenugreek so I leave it out. You pretty much HAVE to have the sumac, though, so I got some from Penzey's and it lasts for several chickens. I don't always have whole chickens either, and I've just used chicken pieces successfully. And, of course, I never grill, so I do mine in the oven at 350F, works just fine although it would probably be much better on the grill. Algerian Roasted Chicken Lars--based on recipe by Chef Farid Zadi 1 whole chicken 4 cloves of garlic 1-1/2 tbsp Kosher salt 1 teaspoon of sumac 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds 1/2 tsp coriander seeds 1/2 tsp fenugreek 3/4 tsp cumin 3 tablespoons of butter, room temperature 1 tbsp minced Thai basil (or 1/2 tsp fennel) 2 lemons 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Freshly ground black pepper extra herbs, 1 tsp each minced fresh oregano and basil, optional 4-5 sprigs of thyme Start charcoal for outdoor barbeque, using large chunks of mesquite wood and charcoal. Place the chicken in a roasting pan with a rack. Slide your fingers under the breasts to separate the skin from the meat, turn the chicken over and do the same with the thighs. Mash the garlic with 1-1/2 tablespoons of salt in a mortar and pestle or finely chop the garlic and incorporate the salt into it with the side of your knife or back of a spoon. Add the sumac, sesame seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, and cumin and mix to pulverize the seeds. Add butter and basil and combine to mix. Tuck pieces of the butter into the "pockets" under the skin. Squeeze the juice of one lemon all over the chicken, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle freshly ground black pepper. Season the cavity with pepper, tuck in the lemon halves and more herbs into the cavity if desired. Place the chicken on the barbeque and cover, leaving vents fully open to maintain heat. Baste the chicken every 15 minutes alternating water and pan drippings. Midway through cooking turn the chicken 90 degrees. Continue frequent basting. The cooking time for a 3-1/2 pound bird is about 1-1/2 hours, depending on how hot your fire is. Cook to an internal temperature of 160°, measured in the thigh. Let rest covered about 30 minutes before carving. Squeeze fresh lemon juice into the roasting juices, and pour into a gravy boat. Add salt, if needed. Annie
    ...See More
  • ruthanna_gw
    11 years ago

CARAMEL ICING

1/4 lb (1 stick) butter
    1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup evaporated milk
    Pinch of salt
    2 cups confectioners sugar
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan, add the brown sugar, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low for two minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and add the milk and salt. Return to the stove and bring to a full boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and let cool until lukewarm. Gradually beat in the confectioners sugar and vanilla, beating until icing is thick enough to spread.

NOTE: I don't use a mixer for this, just a big wooden spoon.

Yield: enough for a 13 X 9 inch cake or a 2-layer cake. Recipe should be doubled for a 3-layer 8-inch cake.

• caliloo
    11 years ago

I m making this for a Baby Shower Brunch next weekend. The hostess had it at a gathering at my house and loved it so much she wants it again this coming weekend LOL!

Caramel Pecan French Toast Casserole
    Yield: 8
    Ingredients
    � 1 cup packed brown sugar
    � 1/2 cup butter
    � 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
    � 1 cup chopped pecans
    � 2 loaves French bread, sliced 1/2 inch thick
    � 6 eggs, beaten
    � 1/2 cup milk
    � 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    � 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    � 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    � 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmet
    Instructions
    1. In a medium saucepan, stir together brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup. Heat and stir until the butter melts and the brown sugar dissolves. Pour into a rectangular 3-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with half the pecans.
    2. Arrange half the bread slices in a single layer in the baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining pecans, and top with the remaining bread slices.
    3. In a medium bowl, stir together eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. Pour slowly over bread. Press lightly with the back of a large spoon to moisten all bread.
    4. Stir together granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg; sprinkle over bread. Cover and chill in refrigerator overnight.
    5. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand ten minutes.
    6. To serve, remove individual servings with a wide spatula and invert onto decorative Christmas plates.

This one is incredible - salty sweet deliciousness!

Bacon and Cashew Caramel Corn
    Makes about 15 cups
    PREP: 1 hour 20 minutes TOTAL: 3 hours (includes cooling time) Recipe by Colt & Gray, Denver, Colorado

Ingredients
    1/2 cup popcorn kernels
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    6 ounces bacon, chopped
    1/2 cup unsalted raw cashews (one 2.5-ounce package)
    1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt or coarse sea salt
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
    1 oolong tea bag
    Nonstick vegetable oil spray
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/4 cup water
    2 tablespoons light corn syrup

Preparation
    Preheat oven to 300�F. Heat popcorn and oil in covered heavy large pot over medium-high heat until kernels begin to pop. Using oven mitts, hold lid on pot and shake pot until popping stops. Pour popcorn into very large bowl. Cook bacon in heavy large skillet over medium heat until almost crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain; cool. Add bacon and cashews to bowl with popcorn. Sprinkle with coarse salt and cayenne; toss to coat.
    Bring cream and tea bag just to boil over medium heat. Remove from heat; let steep 15 minutes, occasionally pressing on tea bag with back of spoon to release flavor. Discard tea bag.
    Line rimmed baking sheet with foil; coat with nonstick spray. Coat 2 wooden spoons or heat-resistant spatulas with nonstick spray; set aside. Stir sugar, 1/4 cup water, and corn syrup in large saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high; boil without stirring until syrup turns deep amber, occasionally swirling pan and brushing down sides with wet pastry brush, about 13 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately add cream (mixture will bubble up). Stir until blended. Immediately drizzle caramel over popcorn mixture; toss with sprayed spoons until evenly coated. Transfer to sheet.
    Place caramel corn in oven and bake until caramel is shiny and coats popcorn, tossing mixture occasionally, about 20 minutes. Cool completely on sheet on rack, tossing occasionally to break up large clumps. DO AHEAD Can be made 2 days ahead. Store airtight in refrigerator.

• olyharris
    11 years ago

Sue, I think you will like these...

Caramel Crumb Bars

Dough
    8oz (2 sticks/225 grams) butter, softened
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 1/4 cups flour

1/4 cup flour (added in to reserved dough)

Filling
    4 Tbsp butter (2oz)
    1 Tbsp light corn syrup
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar
    1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare 9 x 13 pan. (butter and line with parchment)

For the dough, beat the butter, sugar and salt on medium speed of a electric mixer (paddle attachment) until soft and light, 2-3 minutes. Add the vanilla.

On the lowest speed, add 2 1/4 cup flour, and mix just until smooth. Press 3/4 of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Chill the dough lined pan while you make the filling. Work the 1/4 cup flour into the remaining dough with your fingertips. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan bring the filling ingredients to a boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring. Pour into a bowl and let cool for 5 minutes.

Pour the cooled filling into the dough lined pan and sprinkle the crumb mixture over the filling.

Bake about 30 minutes. Cool on rack. (Can be frozen) Store at room temp.

Baker's note: Recently, I've started to prebake the crust(similar to making lemon bars) before adding the filling and returning to the oven.

Oly

• Lars
    11 years ago

I use Ann's caramel recipe, but omit the pinch of salt. I do not like any salt at all in caramel, but since you like salted caramels, you have much different taste from me. What makes her recipe better is that she uses all cream instead of milk, and this makes a big difference.

Lars

• pat_t
    11 years ago

I much prefer caramel to chocolate any day!

CARAMEL PECAN BARS

3-1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
    3/4 cup butter, cubed
    1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup honey
    2/3 cup butter
    3 Tblsp. whipping cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 13x9 pan with heavy duty foil, allowing 2-3 inches to extend over sides. Lightly grease foil.
    Bake pecans in a single layer in shallow pan 8-10 min. or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
    Pulse flour, powdered sugar and 3/4 cup butter in a food processor 5-6 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press mixture on bottom and 3/4 inch up sides of pan.
    Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.
    Bring brown sugar and next 3 ingredients to a boil in a 3 qt. saucepan over medium high heat. Stir in toasted pecans and spoon hot filling into prepared crust.
    Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25-30 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Cool completely on a wire rack about 30 minutes.

From Southern Living Best Holiday Recipes.

CREME CARAMEL

2/3 cup sugar
    1/3 cup water
    1 cup milk
    1 cup heavy cream
    4 egg yolks
    1/2 cup caster or fine sugar
    1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Special equipment: a pastry brush, 6 (4 oz.) ramekins

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Place the sugar and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat. Let the sugar dissolve. Carefully brush the walls of the pot with a little water to prevent the sugar from crystallizing on the sides. Increase the heat to medium-high and boil until the syrup turns golden brown. Remove from the heat promptly and carefully divide the hot caramel among the 6 ramekins. Let cool for at least 2 minutes.

In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and cream to just below a boil over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, mix together the egg yolks, caster sugar, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Place the mixing bowl on top of a towel to keep it from wobbling while mixing in the hot liquid. Gently whisk 2 Tablespoons of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture. Slowly whisk in the remaining hot milk mixture 1/3 at a time, trying to prevent excess bubbles. Strain through a sieve.

Place 6 ramekins evenly spaced in a paper towel-lined baking dish to prevent the ramekins from sliding. Pour 6 oz. into each caramel-coated ramekin. Place on the extended middle rack of the oven. Carefully pour boiling water into the baking dish until 2/3 of the way up the sides of the ramekins. (Be careful not to get any water on the custard mixture). Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and very gently slide it towards the center of the rack. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the custards are almost fully set. Remove from the oven. Use tongs to remove the ramekins from the hot water. Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes, then refrigerate until well chilled.

To serve, dip the ramekin in very hot water for 15 to 20 seconds. Run a sharp knife around the sides of the ramekin. Invert the custards onto serving plates. The caramel will pool around the inverted custards. Serve immediately.

CARAMEL APPLE PUDDING CAKE

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
    2 tsp. apple pie spice*
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1 large egg
    1 cup dark corn syrup
    1 cup water
    2 medium (2 cups) apples, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
    1/2 cup chopped pecans
    3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1-1/2 cups hot water
    1/3 cup butter, melted
    Heavy whipping cream, whipped & sweetened

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine flour, baking soda, apple pie spice and salt in small bowl. Set aside. Combine 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add egg; continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; gradually add flour mixture alternately with corn syrup and 1 cup water, beating well after each addition. Place apples and pecans into ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan. Pour batter over top; sprinkle with 3/4 cup brown sugar. Combine 1-1/2 cups hot water and 1/3 cup melted butter in medium bowl; carefully pour over top of batter. Bake for 35 to 50 minutes or until cake is cracked on top and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired. Makes 15 servings.

*Substitute 1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg, 1/4 tsp. ground cloves and 1/8 tsp. ground allspice.

Tip: We recommend using a sweet-tart apple that retains its shape during cooking such as Granny Smith, Jonathan or Braeburn. When shopping for apples, look for fruit that feels firm, with no soft spots or dark bruises.

Recipe provided courtesy of Land O' Lakes, Inc.

• jakkom
    11 years ago

I've never transcribed the recipe, sorry, but I use the baked custard recipe from the Fannie Farmer cookbook. I make a caramel syrup by melting 1 cup of sugar over moderate heat in a non-stick saute pan until a deep golden brown. Pour it into the baking dish before adding the custard; it should harden immediately, but will soften into a delicious sauce for the custard upon baking.

This custard is NOT the stiff kind that can be unmolded. It is soft, smooth, unctuous, and barely spoonable. My family and friends call this the best custard they've ever had, and often request it for potlucks.

• Islay_Corbel
    11 years ago

A crisp crepe drizzled with caramel.

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Here is another caramel and salt combination you might like.

Caramel Popcorn with Sea Salt
    source: Fare to Remember

* 1/2 cup butter
    * 1 cup packed brown sugar
    * 1 cup corn syrup
    * 1 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
    * sea salt (I used Murray River Flake Salt)

Combine all caramel ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring to melt and blend all ingredients together. Reduce heat to low and continue a slow boil; stir constantly to avoid the caramel from burning. Caramel is done when it reaches the soft ball candy stage (approximately 10 minutes at slow boil). While still hot, pour caramel over a big bowl of popcorn, mixing well to coat. Sprinkle liberally with the sea salt, again, mixing well for even coverage throughout the batch.

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

This is my new favorite thread! I love caramel too.
    Thanks for the recipes.

• olyharris
    11 years ago

If you want, sprinkle some sea salt over the filling of the Caramel Crumb Bars before adding the reserved crumb mixture and baking - I've made them both ways.

For the shop I usually make the bars without the salt, and make the salted version in a 4 inch tart.

Oly

• thatchairlady
    11 years ago

Maybe not exactly caramel... dulche de leche from canned, sweetened, condensed milk. Take paper label off can, put can (UN-opened) in a pot large enough to cover by a good inch or so. Bring GENTLY up to a boil and reduce to slow simmer. After an hour or so, you'll end up with a yummy, amber colored, THICK liquid that's fabulous drizzled over about any dessert. Have made it with regular and non-fat SCM and really couldn't taste any big difference. IF I have any left over, I store it in a glass jar. If I want a warm, gooey drizzle over something, just sit mason jar in a small pot of simmering water till it loosens up.

Have seen it done several times on different TV cooking shows. It will not explode, but do NOT attempt to remove top until can is cool enough to handle. Probably would not use cans with pop tops... thinking they'd HAVE to be a little less strong than ones that need a can opener.

• pat_t
    11 years ago

Found this on Pinterest today and will be trying it soon. Maybe adding it to my Christmas cookie repertoire.

SALTED CARAMEL SHORTBREAD

For the shortbread layer:
    10 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 egg yolk
    1-2/3 cups flour

For the caramel:
    1 cup unsalted butter
    1 cup light brown sugar
    3/4 cup light corn syrup
    2 tsp sea salt, plus more for sprinkling on top
    4 tbsp sugar
    4 tbsp heavy cream
    1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract

- Line an 8x8" pan with parchment paper, leaving some hanging over the sides to make removal easier.
    - In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, and salt with a pastry cutter or fork. Add the egg yolk and continue mixing.
    - Add the flour and use your hands to combine the dough until coarse crumbs form. Transfer the dough into the prepared pan and press it down into one even layer.
    - Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 25 minutes, until slightly golden brown. Set aside to cool.
    - For the caramel, combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, salt, sugar, and heavy cream. Bring to a boil and stir for about 5-10 minutes until caramel reaches the "soft ball stage" at around 230 degrees.
    - Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and pour caramel over the shortbread.
    - Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, then sprinkle with sea salt and cut into squares. Store caramels in the fridge until you're ready to eat them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Erica's Sweet Tooth

• goldgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm swooning over all the recipes posted! Thank you!

Sue

• wizardnm
    11 years ago

I made Ann's Decadent Caramel Rice Krispie Treats last night. They are wonderful. So wonderful in fact, they could be dangerous. It's a good thing I want to take them to the farmers market otherwise I'd eat them all.

Nancy

• beachlily z9a
    11 years ago

Does anyone have a great recipe for Pecan Turtles? I'm thinking Ann's caramel would be wonderful in this treat.

• gardengrl
    11 years ago

OMG, this is my new, favorite thread too! I LOVE caramel!

I've not made this, but got the recipe here. Sorry, I can't remember who posted it:

Caramel Apple Cheesecake

I made this recipe for Thanksgiving and everyone said it was a KEEPER!! The whole thing disappeared!
    1 cup graham cracker crumbs
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
    2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans

Filling
    3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
    3/4 cup sugar
    3 eggs
    3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping
    2 1/2 cups chopped peeled apples
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    6 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping, divided
    sweetened whipped cream
    2 tablespoons chopped pecans

Directions:
    Combine the first five ingredients; press onto the bottom of a lightly greased 9-inch spring form pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes; cool.

In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low just until combined. Stir in vanilla. Pour over crust. Toss apples with lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon; spoon over filling. Place cheesecake/pan in a large rectangular baking pan filled with 2 inches of hot water; place in 350 degree oven and bake for 55-60 minutes or until center is almost set.

Remove cheesecake from oven and water-filled pan and cool on a wire rack to 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Drizzle with 4 tablespoons caramel topping. Cool for 1 hour. Refrigerate overnight. Remove sides of pan.

Just before serving, garnish with whipped cream. Drizzle with remaining caramel; sprinkle with pecans. Store in refrigerator.

• gardengrl
    11 years ago

I almost forgot this amazing recipe!

Caramel Cheetos�
    2 cups light brown sugar
    1 cup margarine - yes, for this one you must use margarine
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1 - 21 oz. pkg. Cheetos� - crunchy kind

Mix sugar, margarine and corn syrup in pan. Bring to a boil. Boil 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and add soda. Stir until light in color and foamy.

Spray a roasting pan (deep 10 x 14) with Pam. Put Cheetos� in pan. Pour the mixture over Cheetos� and stir, coating each piece. Place in oven at 250 degrees. Bake for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes. Immediately, pour onto wax paper, or cookie sheets, sprayed with Pam.

(This is the hard part.) VERY QUICKLY spread out as thin as possible. If not quick and spread out as thin as possible, you will get a big hard glob. After about 5 minutes, pull/break these apart even more and loosen them from the wax paper. If you don't, you'll have wax paper stuck to them when you go to eat them.

You will regret it if you don't double the batch as guests are going to demand MORE! You can bake batches together and add an extra 20 minutes to bake time. I do them separately because of having to work so quickly to keep them apart at the end. The one batch can almost get too hard while working with the other batch.

• gardengrl
    11 years ago

O.k., one more... (hee-hee)

Gingerbread Caramels

Vegetable oil or cooking spray
    4 cups heavy cream
    2 cups light corn syrup
    4 cups sugar
    12 T unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
    � cup unsulfured molasses
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    � tsp salt
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    � tsp ground ginger
    � tsp nutmeg
    � tsp ground cloves

Coat an 18 x 13 inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Line with parchment, leaving a 2 inch overhang on the short sides. Coat parchment.

Bring cream, corn syrup, sugar, butter, and molasses to a boil in a large pot over high heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Clip a candy thermometer to side of pan, and continue to cook over med-high heat , stirring frequently, until mixture reaches 248 degrees (firm-ball stage), about 20 minutes.

Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla, salt, and spices. Immediately pour onto prepared sheet, without scraping pot. Let stand uncovered at room temperature for 24 hours without moving.

Coat a large cutting board generously with cooking spray. Pull up parchment to unmold caramel, and invert onto the cutting board. Remove parchment. Cut into 1 x 1 � inch pieces. Wrap each in cellophane wrappers or waxed paper. Caramels can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 month.

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Here is another favourite.

Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Praline Cheesecake
    ==================
    (Toronto Star Newspaper: 1981)

1-1/4 cups crushed graham crackers
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup finely chopped pecans toasted
    1/4 cup butter melted
    3 - 8 oz packages cream cheese
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2/3 cup evaporated milk Note: I used coffee cream
    2 tablespoons all purpose flour
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    3 eggs
    1 cup pecan halves toasted.

Caramel Sauce topping

1 cup corn syrup - dark
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    2 tablespoons Brown sugar
    1 tablespoon vanilla

Combine graham crackers, sugar, pecans and stir in melted butter. Press mixture over the bottom and 1 1/2 inches up sides of a 9" inch spring pan.

Bake at 350�F for 10 minutes.

Beat cream cheese, 1 cup brown sugar, evaporated milk, flour and vanilla. Add eggs and beat until just blended. pour into crust. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until set.

Cool in pan for 30 minutes. Loosen sides and remove rim. Cool completely. Arrange toasted pecans on top of cake decoratively.

Make Topping by combining corn syrup, cornstarch and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened. Remove from heat and add vanilla.

To serve cake, Pour sauce over top and serve remaining sauce in a pitcher at the table.

NOTE: I baked the cake in a Baine Marie. I wrapped foil around the outside of the springform pan to prevent any water from seeping in to the cake.

Nnte: I use my regular caramel sauce instead of the one mentioned
    above:

Caramel Sauce

1 cup butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup cream
    pinch of salt
    2 teaspoons vanilla

Mix all the ingredients together and simmer for about 5 or 6 minutes.

Serve over Bread and butter pudding, apple pie and ice-cream, warm gingerbread, etc..

• doucanoe
    11 years ago

Yum, I love caramel, too! Don't get me wrong, I like chocolate, but LOVE caramel!

If you can stand a couple more....

Chocolate Turtle Torte
    Source: St Paul Hotel

Crust:
    3-2/3 c pecans
    1-1/4 c sugar
    7T unsalted butter

In food processor blend pecans and sugar, add melted butter in steady stream until combined well. Turn out mixture into a 12" tart pan with removable bottom. Press to 1/8" thickness on bottom and 3/8" on sides. Bake at 350F for approximately 20-25 minutes or until lightly toasted. Cool.

Filling:
    1lb semi sweet chocolate
    2 c heavy whipping cream

Bring cream to a boil and pour over coarsely chopped chocolate. Mix until chocolate is melted and mixture is combined well. Pour into cooled crust and refrigerate for 3 hours or up to overnite.

Caramel Sauce:
    4oz unsalted butter
    1 c sugar
    1 c heavy whipping cream
    3/4 c crushed pecans (for garnish)

In heavy saucepan melt butter, add sugar and cook until dark brown (not burnt). Add cream and remove from heat. Mix thoroughly until mixture turns a rich golden color.
    Drizzle over slices of torte and serve.

Sandies by the Sea

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
    2/3 cup firmly-packed light brown sugar
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1 cup pecans, lightly toasted and very finely ground*
    20 caramel candies
    3 tablespoons cream or whole milk
    2 to 3 tablespoons large crystal sea salt or fleur de sel, as needed**
    1 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate or semisweet chocolate morsels

1.Combine flour and salt in bowl; set aside.

2.In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat to blend. Add dry ingredients in batches, mixing between each. Stir in ground pecans. Cover and chill dough until firm.

3.Preheat oven to 350�F (175�C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper or butter the sheets.

4.Roll dough into 1-inch balls with floured hands. Place on baking sheet at least one inch apart, and form a cavity in center of each ball with thumb. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until bottoms are brown and set.

5.Remove cookies from oven; cool briefly on baking sheet. Transfer with a metal spatula to a wire cooling rack set over a piece of parchment paper.

6.Melt caramel candies and cream together in a saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Fill center of each cookie with approximately 1/2 teaspoons of caramel. Sprinkle warm centers evenly with sea salt, and let sit until firm.

7.Place chocolate in plastic bag in a bowl, heat on medium at 30-second intervals in microwave. Massage between each interval until melted. Cut a small hole in bottom corner of bag, drizzle chocolate across each cookie; add additional salt if desired and allow cookies to sit until chocolate has become firm.

Makes about 4 dozen.

*To toast pecans, place nuts in a single layer in an ungreased shallow pan. Bake at 350�F (175�C) for 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool. Finely chop cooled nuts in a food processor or blender.

Linda

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Gardengirl, You beat me to it, I was just coming back to this thread to add the Cheetos recipe...can't forget that.

• goldgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for all the wonderful suggestions! Of course, I'm going to try every last one of them, but am starting with Ann's Rice Krispie Squares this weekend. I started a new job a few weeks ago and want to bring in some treats for a few of the offices. I think they'll be a big hit :)

Sue

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

I make this Pillsbury recipe for my daughter for her birthday. She has requested these instead of a cake for years now... -Grainlady

KRISPY CHOCOLATE CARAMEL BARS

Crust
    1-1/4 c. all-purpose flour
    1/2 c. powdered sugar
    1/2 c. margarine or butter

Filling
    14-oz. pkg. vanilla caramels (I use Kraft Caramels)
    1/3 c. half-and-half or evaporated milk (double-strength powdered milk will also work)
    1/4 c. margarine or butter

Topping
    6-oz. pkg. (1-cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
    3 T. shortening (I use coconut oil)
    3/4 c. crisp rice cereal

Heat oven to 350-degrees F. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In medium bowl, combine flour and powdered sugar. Using pastry blender or fork, cut in 1/2 c. margarine/butter until crumbly. Lightly press mixture in ungreased 13x9-inch pan. Bake at 350-degrees for 10-12 minutes or until light brown.

Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan melt caramels, half-and-half and 1/4 c. margarine over low heat, stirring constantly. Spread over baked crust.

In medium saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips and shortening, stirring constantly. Stir in cereal. Carefully spread over filling. Cool completely; cut into bars. 36 bars.

MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS:
    Prepare crust as directed above. In 4-cup microwave-safe measuring cup, combine caramels, half-and-half and 1/4 c. margarine/butter. Microwave on HIGH for 3-4 minutes or until mixture is smooth, stirring twice during cooking. Spread over baked crust.

In 2-cup microwave-safe measuring cup, combine chocolate chips with shortening. Microwave on HIGH for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 minutes or until melted, stirring once halfway through cooking. Stir until smooth. Stir in cereal. Carefully spread over filling.

• ann_t
    11 years ago

These are always a big hit.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Silly Toffee Squares
    ====================
    Source Patty

Base

1/2 cup flour
    3/4 cup rice krispies cereal
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    Pinch salt
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/3 cup butter melted

Toffee Layer

1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup chocolate chips semi sweet
    1-1/4 cups Rice Krispies cereal .
    Combine all the ingredients for the base and press into an 8 inch
    square pan. Bake in a 350�F oven for 10 minutes.

While base is baking make the toffee layer.

In a heavy saucepan combine the condensed milk with the 1/2 cup of
    butter and 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and
    simmer for 5 minutes. Keep stirring as this mixture burns easily.

Pour toffee over the base.

Melt chocolate chips and stir in the 1 1/4 cups of rice Krispies.
    Stir to coat well. Use two forks to spread evenly over the toffee
    layer. Chill and cut into squares.

• angelaid
    9 years ago

Well, I just ran across this thread searching for a recipe for suzieque. Yum!
    Here's my favorite recipe for Turltes, beachlilly

Turtles

2 1/4 cups brown sugar
    1 cup margarine
    1 cup light corn syrup
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 1/2# pecans
    1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 cup milk chocolate chocolate chips
    2 TB shortening

Combine the first 4 ingredients. Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Add milk and mix well. Cook until 248 degrees. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Fold in
    pecans. Drop by TB on lightly greased cookie sheet--Chill. Melt chips and shortening--drizzle over turtles. Let set until firm.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

There are really easy and really rich -- and they cover the caramel and chocolate lovers.
    ngredients:

Caramel Morsel Bars (Kraft ad recipe fro long ago)

1 (14 ounce) bag caramels
    3 tablespoons water
    5 cups crisp rice cereal or 5 cups toasted oat cereal
    1 cup peanuts
    1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 cup butterscotch chips

Directions:

Melt caramels with water in a saucepan over low heat. Stir frequently till caramels are melted and sauce is smooth.
    Toss cereal and peanuts together in a bowl. Pour the melted caramel sauce over the mixture and toss until well coated (or melt the caramels over low heat in the bottom of a Dutch oven and add the cereal to the pot to mix -- works easier for me)

ith buttered fingers, press the mixture into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Sprinkle chocolate and butterscotch chips on top and place in a 200F oven for about 5 minutes or until chips are softened. Spread the softened chips to blend slightly and form a frosting over the top. Cool and cut into bars. Cut into 30 bars or in sizes as desired.