SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

Getting started on food storage

sally2_gw
11 years ago

I've been intrigued by Grainlady's and Tricia's food storage systems, and would like to know more about how to get started. Grainlady, I'm sure you have books to recommend. Can you remind me which ones you like the best? I still haven't figured out where to put the food I store, but I figure I could start small.

Thanks.

Sally

Comments (67)

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

shambo -

-"MIX-A-MEAL" Cookbook - Mixes and Recipes - Deanna Bean & Lorna Shute
    This book uses lots of dry ingredients for mixes, including powdered vanilla, powdered margarine/butter/shortening, powdered whole eggs and egg whites....

-"I Can't Believe It's Food Storage" - Crystal Godfrey
    This book includes a recipe for "Magic Mix" which was developed by the Utah State Extension Service, and you will find different versions of the recipe on-line. This base mix recipe is used as a gravy mix, fudgsicles, pudding, white sauce, Pesto Alfedo Sauce, Condensed Cream of _________ Soup (chicken, mushroom, broccoli, celery, tomato). Detailed information about using food storage basics like powdered eggs, powdered milk... A great food storage cookbook.

-"Dinner Is In The Jar" - Quick and Easy Dinner Mixes in Mason Jars or Mylar Bags - Kathy Clark
    Premix your dinners and store them in canning jars.

-"Make-A-Mix Cookery" and "MORE Make-A-Mix Cookery" - Karine Eliason, Nevada Harward & Madeline Westover.
    These two books have been "friends" seemingly forever. Great mixes that are time and money savers.

-"Natural Meals in Minutes" and "Country Beans - Rita Bingham (a personal favorite author)

-"Cookin' with Powdered Milk" and "Cookin'with Dried Eggs" - Peggy Layton (food storage expert).

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Saving Money with Homemade Convenience Mixes

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Y'all are providing so much information, it's going to take me a while to soak it all in. I'm excited to start reading and learning and putting to use all this information. Thanks for the help.

Annie, Jerry wants one of those hand pumps for our well up there. You've made some great points about the benefits of having one.

Dcarch, you make a good point. It would be an excellent idea to have a way to store extra fuel.

Sally

• Related Discussions

Food Storage Tips?

Q

Comments (4)
    I do store things like sour cream, cottage cheese, applesauce, yogurt, salsa, etc. upside down in the refrigerator. Do make sure the lids are on tight! (Don't ask me how I know.) I don't wash any fruits/vegetables until I'm ready to use them. If you buy spices in bulk, keep the majority of your stock in the refrigerator and have small containers out for everyday use. Heat, light, and moisture really speed the loss of flavor and color. I never use a whole can of tomato paste or chipotle peppers at once. Put tablespoon size dollops on a flat pan and freeze. Pack frozen dollops in a freezer bag or a freezer container. I keep sweet onions in the refrigerator. They are loaded with sugar and donÂt keep well on a pantry shelf. Store romaine or leaf lettuce head down (let the stem end stick up into the air) in a container of water in the fridge. A 2 quart Rubbermaid pitcher works well. My lettuce will stay crispy for weeks this way (and if your lettuce gets a bit wilted, this will crisp it back up again, too). I store potatoes, winter squash, and root vegetables in a cardboard box or a crate separated with styrofoam packing peanuts (keeps the vegetables off the box surface and air can circulate). We keep them in our back bedroom, which is cool and dark. And definitely cruise the veggie/meat keeper drawers for menu planning. I get so mad at myself for finding something that I left in the fridge too long without using it, and ending up throwing it into the compost bucket.
    ...See More

Is the fridge part of food prep or storage?

Q

Comments (6)
    As you use your kitchen over the next several days make mental notes about how often you use the fridge for various purposes. Do you open it a lot during food prep.? How many items do you take out of it during prep? How often do you open it during non-prep times--i.e. breakfast, snacks, sandwich making, beverages? How many items go straight from fridge to table and back again? I don't use my fridge during prep as often as I thought. If I'm making a salad, I go over and grab all the salad ingredients at once. When I'm making a meal I have a pretty good idea about what I'm going to be using and I try to cut my trips down by taking several things out at once. Most of the items I improvise with (seasonings, oils, etc.) aren't refrigerated and are stored in the cooking/prep zone. Sometimes I have to walk to it for butter or milk or eggs, but not as often as I thought. I prefer to have our fridge near the table and out of the prep zone. It's accessible for non cooking/prepping activities all day long--which is how it is most heavily used. To me, keeping others out of my cooking/prep zone is worth the trade off of not having the fridge right at my fingertips. We tend to use a lot of items from the fridge while we are eating. Having the fridge close by makes meal times a lot more relaxing and setting and clearing the table becomes less of a chore. Our plates and silverware are near the table so others can set the table and get items out of the fridge without crossing paths with me. Also, I wanted to maximize window space in our prep area and there wasn't a good spot for the fridge. I like having lots of storage in my cooking/prep area for the tools I use. This is more important to me than having fridge drawers (plus I prefer to keep things simple-one less appliance to clean and maintain and no hassle trying to find something to fit the same space when it needs to be replaced.) The fridge is placed between the kitchen and dining area. It's not terribly far from my prep area--it's a straight shot to get to it, no islands or peninsulas to walk around.
    ...See More

Your Best Stay Fresh Longer Food Storage Tips !!!

Q

Comments (10)
    Two adults here, as well. Wasted food is the most expensive food you purchase, so I do careful meal plans to help reduce that "forgotten" something-'er-other, especially in the crisper drawer. I dehydrate, freeze, or vacuum seal with a FoodSaver for longer storage. Instead of waiting for the celery go go limp, I'll dehydrate a portion of it. Works great in soups, casseroles, etc. I also dry the celery leaves. Can't get all those mushrooms used? Slice and dehydrate them. I make entire soup mixes with a wide variety of dehydrated foods. We eat dehydrated zucchini as a substitute for potato chips. Hard cheese keeps longer in FoodSaver bags. When grapes are on sale, I'll stock up and freeze them in FoodSaver bags. I like the green bags for bananas, as well as freezing or dehydrating bananas when I can get a deal on them. FoodSaver canisters are great for leaf lettuce and fruit in the refrigerator. They keep much longer when vacuum-sealed. When potatoes are buy a 5# bag - get one free, I make them into mashed potatoes and freeze them in dollops and vacuum seal the dollops in FoodSaver bags. Otherwise, we'd never be able to use 5#, let alone 10#... I also cook and mash sweet potatoes and dehydrate them on the fruit roll-up trays. When crispy-dry, I run them through the blender and make sweet potato powder. Reconstitutes to make mashed sweet potatoes by adding hot water. I do the same thing with tomatoes for tomato powder. Reconstitute it with water for making pizza sauce, etc. It's amazing how many tomatoes you can get in a quart jar when you dehydrate them, and even MORE when you make tomato powder. Ripe fruit can be made into fruit roll-ups. You can dehyarate yogurt. I even dehydrate lean cooked meat cut into 1/2-inch cubes. After they are dry, I package it in FoodSaver bags and stick it in the freezer. Make sure your refrigerator is 40°F, or colder, and your freezer is 0°F or colder. Food degrades faster when those temperatures are warmer. -Grainlady
    ...See More

FoodSaver and Dehydrated Food Storage

Q

Comments (2)
    OK, citric acid for sprouting... ascorbic for breads. Got it. Guess I was thinking they were same thing. Oh, and that's new information for me about sprouting the mung beans under pressure. That's really interesting. I have a vacuum sealer, but I haven't used it very much. I guess I should get it out and try it. I went over on You Tube and did a search for Foodsaver and found several things to watch, also found a few on Pump'n'Seal and maybe that's where my confusion comes from as I've seen a little about both kinds and may have mingled the way the two different systems work. The Foodsaver universal lid doesn't get very high marks on Amazon, I went there some time ago when it was mentioned before. I went to Foodsaver's website and I see that a jar sealer is $9.99. So do you buy one of those for each jar and leave it on the jar till you're ready to use the contents? Or do you have a Pump'n'Seal where you use a regular canning flat, punch a hole in it to vacuum out the air, and then seal up the hole with a little piece of tape? I can see where this method would be 'way cheaper than buying Foodsaver universal lids, if it works as well as they say. Have you used the Pump'n'Seal method and if so, what is your opinion? Foodsaver universal lids cost $24 for a two-pack. If they have to stay on the jar till you use it, it seems like $12 a jar is kind of a substantial outlay of cash unless a person could stumble upon some at a garage sale or something, where the seller didn't know what they had. Or does the FoodSaver have the capability of using canning flats in a way similar to Pump'n'Seal, so that you're only out a canning flat? And I suppose the canning flats could be resealed? It's kind of hard for me to believe that a little piece of what looks like duct tape is all that keeps the vacuum intact, but maybe it does because the vacuum holds it on.... Forgive me, I'm not trying to be critical or troublesome or stupid, I'm just trying to make sure I understand as I don't know anyone personally who uses these. Thanks for your patience and taking the time to provide this information. I do truly appreciate it.
    ...See More
  • shambo
    11 years ago

Grainlady, thank you for the book titles. I'm going to start looking for them tomorrow. I really like the idea of convenience, good quality ingredients, and controlling salt content. I know I'll have lots more questions once I read a couple of the books. Just warning both of you in advance.

Tricia, thanks for the link. I'll order some of the Cabot and give it a try. I think the cheese powder I ordered before was from King Arthur. As I said, I was not happy with the sweetness. But I'd like to have a cheese sauce mix for vegetables, etc. I would cut the amount of cheese and omit salt altogether, but still a creamy sauce on vegetables makes my husband happy.

• User
    11 years ago

Really interesting info. I did look up a number of the books and quite a few of the products. I fear that like FOAS I would purchase many of these things listed...the powd milk etc and then donate it near its expiration to a food bank. I have no desire to change the way I eat and the only way I would cook to use most of this stuff , except the dried beans and dried fruits and making all my own breads etc is if I was in desperate circumstances.

I have made everything from scratch for 42 years of marriage. I never use anything in a can or box if I can help it. I canned my own stuff for years but don't have much interest in that anymore with just 2 of us. My DS and DIL are chefs and my DH and I eat almost exclusively Chinese stir fry with very minimal meat and lots of fresh vegs. We also eat a lot of vegetarian meals which do incorporate dried beans but I use only fresh seasonal vegs and lots and lots of really good cheeses. Our grocery bill is high but not what a lot of folks spend as I do not ascribe to " organic" or whole foods or Trader Joe items and as I said I never ever buy anything that is pre-made.

If/when the time arrives when the stores are empty and there is a city wide or country wide situation in which I need more than what I keep in my home I am going to be in the same boat as millions of others , I guess, hungry. Not a situation I am going to want to be in but also not one I am going to plan for by the above methods. I do find the whole issue very very interesting and thank you for posting such amazingly detailed info !! c

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

A list of foods that have an indefinite (or nearly so) shelf-life - under proper storage conditions.

-WHEAT
    I use wheat for flour (and everything I make using flour), sprouts, wheatgrass, cereal, snacks, roasted wheatberries makes a nice coffee substitute, extract the gluten from freshly-milled flour and make "wheat meat" (aka seitan or gluten), I make my own bulgur and cracked wheat, pasta/noodles. I store many different varieties of wheat for their baking and milling qualities or general uses (hard wheat for bread, soft wheat for pastry, durum wheat for pasta/noodles, etc.) Even without a mill you can make all kinds of great things with wheat - like Blender Waffles/Pancakes (www.suegregg.com). A great little booklet by Cindi Van Bibber - No Wheat Grinder Wheat Recipes (cindislifestyletreasures.blogspot.com). With the use of a blender make cooked wheatberries into cookies, cakes, biscuits, muffins, desserts.

-WHITE RICE
    I'm not a big fan of white rice, but I do store it and use only occasionally. One interesting thing you can make from white rice is rice "milk", which would come in handy for people who are lactose intolerant in an emergency situation.

-MOST DRY PASTA
    I don't store a lot of dry pasta because we don't use it very often. I generally make pasta/noodles fresh from wholegrain flour and dehydrate the extra to use later.

-SALT
    If you store iodized salt it can turn yellow during long storage, but it doesn't effect the salt. If you do home canning be sure to include canning salt in your storage.

-LENTILS
    A favorite storage food of mine. I generally sprout lentils to increase the nutrition in them and then you can lightly cook them or you eat lentil sprouts without cooking (add to salads or use as a substitute for pasta in a pasta salad). Dehydrate sprouted lentils and when you go to cook them they will cook in a fraction of the time. Add some seasonings to sprouted lentils (Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime or Southwest Chipotle salt-free seasoning blends) before dehydrating them and you have a nice snack food.

A vegetarian substitute for ground beef:
    1 c. lentils
    1 c. rice
    4 c. water
    Cook like you would rice. Use alone or as a meat extender along with ground beef. Add beef flavoring. Add taco seasonings and use it in your favorite Mexican entrees.

-SUGAR and HONEY

-CORNSTARCH

-VANILLA (real, not imitation)

-POWDERED COFFEE CREAMER

-WHITE VINEGAR

-MOST BOUILLONS

-DRIED DENT CORN (used for milling into meal and flour)

-POTATO FLAKES

-MAPLE SYRUP/CORN SYRUP

-INSTANT COFFEE (if you prefer fresh ground coffee, store vacuum-sealed green coffee beans and roast them as needed)

-NON-FAT MILK POWDER (20-years if hermetically sealed - #10 cans)

The "Vital Four" foods referred to in the Bible as foods of prominence: WHEAT "the staff of life", "land flowing with MILK and HONEY, and SALT.

-Grainlady

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've had sugar develop an off taste when stored in a glass canister with a metal lid, one of those old fashioned, sort of octagon shaped canisters. I guess that's not the best way to store sugar.

Sally

• triciae
    11 years ago

For those wondering how freeze-dried foods compare nutritionally to fresh, frozen, or canned here are a few articles.

"Unlike some produce you buy at the grocery store, freeze dried produce is not picked before it is fully ripe, there are no hormones used to force it to ripen quickly, nor it does not sit in a truck or at the store or in your fridge losing nutrients before you eat it. It, and all its nutrients, are flash frozen. Then, you can enjoy it, and those nutrients, up to 25 years later any time of the year!

Even better, freeze dried foods require no additives, preservatives, salt or sugar to retain that 25 yr shelf life. What goes into the can (fresh produce) is exactly what comes out!"

http://www.yourownhomestore.com/how-healthy-is-freeze-dried-produce/

Another...

http://voices.yahoo.com/freeze-dried-food-maintains-optimal-nutritional-value-3413134.html?cat=5

One more...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/343417-freeze-dried-food-nutritional-information/

/tricia

• triciae
    11 years ago

Shambo,

Once you receive the Cabot cheese here's a quick recipe for making cheese sauce with good quality ingredients.

CHEESE SAUCE (this is for a single 1-cup batch of sauce)

1/3 Cup Dehydrated Cheddar Cheese Powder
    3 Tablespoons Organic Milk Powder
    3 Tablespoons Dehydrated Organic Butter Powder
    3 Tablespoons Unbleached AP Flour (I use KA Organic AP)
    S/P to taste (you probably won't add any salt since cheese contains salt)

Directions: Combine dry ingredients in small saucepan. Add one cup hot tap water. Bring to a boil and stir using a wire whisk. It will only take a couple seconds and it's done (I've got an induction stove so it's really fast!).

Optional Add-ins: 1/2 Teaspoon dried parsley flakes and/or 1/8 teaspoon onion powder.

/tricia

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

Check out the video making Asian Chicken Stir Fry with freeze-dried vegetables. -Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Asian Chicken Stir Fry

• shambo
    11 years ago

Tricia, thanks so much for the cheese sauce recipe. Also thanks to you & Grainlady for the info on using freeze dried vegetables. I bought some freeze dried peaches, strawberries, and raspberries last year. I loved munching on them. They tasted wonderful! However, we ate them before I ever got around to using them in anything. So I have a few questions.

I make muffins regularly to freeze for our breakfasts. If I wanted to use freeze dried fruit instead of fresh, do I need to do anything other than just throw in the freeze dried product? Do I need to adjust liquid at all?

I'd like to make some of my own soup mixes for quick meals. Can you give me your honest opinions about the following freeze dried vegetables: corn, green beans, carrots, celery, and bell peppers. I've bought both dehydrated celery & bell peppers several times but don't like their texture even in long-cooked dishes like soup or chili. That's why I'm wondering about their freeze dried versions.

I agree that it's a total waste of time & money to buy things you know you won't enjoy and therefore use. I'm willing to experiment and purchase smaller quantities for trials. Perhaps this winter will be nothing more than a period of research. Thanks for your help.

• triciae
    11 years ago

Shambo,

Manufacturers say to reconstitute the fruit before adding to your muffins. That said, I'm lazy so I don't. I increase the liquid and toss whatever fruit I'm using in the batter. I use a bit less additional liquid than recommended for reconstituting. Our favorites for muffins are blueberries, apples, & raspberries.

Understanding that your mileage might be different, here's my opinion on the freeze-dried veggies for soup mixes.

Green Beans - Yes
    Carrots - Yes
    Cabbage - Yes
    Spinach - Yes
    Peas - Yes
    Tomatoes - Yes
    Broccoli - Yes
    Corn - Yes
    Potato Dices - Yes
    Green Peppers - No (I HATE green peppers so I'm not a good person to ask.)
    Celery - No, for soup. I think it's a little tough. Yes, for aromatics in braises.

Have I forgot any?

Shambo, there's a big difference between dehydrated and freeze-dried. You'll be amazed.

/tricia

• shambo
    11 years ago

Tricia, thanks for your insights. The texture thing is why I don't care for dehydrated peppers or celery. Perhaps freezing is the way to go when just using for soups and long-cooked dishes. I'm eager to order some more freeze dried fruit for experimenting with muffins. I'll keep you posted.

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

I have been researching freeze dried foods. This company makes very good products.

They are not just tomatoes by any means.

Here is a link that might be useful: Just Tomatoes.

• shambo
    11 years ago

OK, I know this is probably weird beyond belief. But I was adding Grainlady's book recommendations to my Amazon Wish List and decided to do a general Google search for "Homemade Mixes." Somehow I veered off into a search for "Homemade Mocha Coffee Mix" which finally landed me at a site where I found the following recipe for homemade powdered creamer. It uses instant milk, powdered sugar, and coconut oil. What do you think? Could it work?

"It's very easy to make a good, dairy-powdered creamer. The secret is to add some fat to get the same mouth-feel you expect from, say, half and half or cream. I don't prefer this recipe over straight cream, but it's a good substitute if you run out, is shelf-stable and versatile. Use it also for making cocoa, chai and other mixes.

8 parts part skim milk powder
    1-2 parts powdered sugar (I don't like my coffee at all sweet, so you can use even less, but there is a little sweetness in natural cream)
    3 cereal spoonfuls of coconut oil, melted (I stick the glass jar in micro for a few seconds)

Combine first two ingredients in a bowl with a fork. Slowly add coconut oil, drizzling it over the top with a spoon. Mix well with a fork. There should be no clumps. Store in a jar with a lid in the pantry. To use, try a few spoonfuls in a cup then add your coffee while stirring until you get the color/flavor you want. The oil adds the mouthfeel that you expect from cream. Coconut oil is a healthy fat as well. It stays solid in the powder mix but will melt into your coffee as soon as you pour it. I would make mine with less sugar next time, but I would say 1 part sugar to 8 parts milk powder is about right :-) Enjoy"

Here is a link that might be useful: Thrifty Fun thread about homemade powdered coffee creamer

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

barnmom & shambo-

barnmom-
    Are "Just Tomatoes" products dehydrated (dried with heat and air) or freeze-dried? I only saw "conventional", which I took to mean dehydrated. And didn't see any information for rehydrating them. Freeze-dried foods are dried quickly with cold temperatures to maintain color, texture, flavor and nutrition. There is also a big difference when you want to use them - it takes only a few minutes and warm or hot water to rehydrate FREEZE-DRIED foods, while dehydrated usually take much longer and often need to be cooked to rehydrate. Small packets are generally more expensive per serving than when you buy a #10 can.

shambo\- Thanks for sharing the link, I MUST give it a try. What I would do differently... I would use a tip for mixing I learned from Rita Bingham in "Natural Meals in Minutes". When incorporating fat into dry ingredients, use your hand\-held electric mixer. It works better and quicker than a pastry blender or the fork method. I would use solid coconut oil, not liquid, when using a mixer for blending. For a sugar\-free or low\-glycemic version I would substitute powdered sugar with powdered SWERVE (an erythritol product). I've blended Palm Sugar in a blender until it was powdered and might try it. Here's where powdered vanilla would be a nice addition if you like vanilla\-flavored creamers. I'll have to dig out my handouts for a class taught on using powdered milk. I had a bunch of recipes on it. \-Grainlady
  • centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

In this case conventional means not organic. Some of their products are freeze dried and some are dehydrated, depending on what it is. Their website is a bit clunky. Once you choose a product you can choose the size of the packaging. One can buy in bulk and wholesale. I ordered over the phone. It was so much easier.

"Welcome to Just Tomatoes, Etc.! where our fruits and veggies are always in season. We Do Not Fool with Mother Nature...

Our products are exactly what they say they are - absolutely nothing has been added!

No Salt, No Sulfur, No Fat, No Sweeteners, No Preservatives It's the next best thing to eating out of your garden.

Our sliced dried tomatoes were our first product when we started our business 25 years ago. Our tomatoes are grown on our family farm in the fertile central valley of California. Many of our products come from neighboring farms.

Our Process
    Just Tomatoes, Etc.! dehydrated fruits and vegetables are vine-ripened (or tree-ripened), hand-picked at peak condition, washed, cut and then placed in specially designed dehydrators and dried at low temperatures to preserve color, flavor and nutrients. Both dehydrated and freeze-dried products are an excellent source of nutrition.

This line of unique dried fruits and vegetables have been carefully selected and combined for your ultimate enjoyment... as great snacks and terrific ingredients for culinary treats.

We hope you enjoy and delight in our offerings."

They are a local business and I can buy their products in many stores here in snack sizes. I don't think they are the cheapest source for freeze dried and dehydrated fruit and veggies. The friend for whom I ordered is pleased with these products over others. They do have a recipe link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Just Tomatoes.

• triciae
    11 years ago

Eileen,

Thanks so much for the "Just Tomatoes" link. They offer some fun products. They are a bit expensive for large bulk food storage, at least for us, but I'm going to order a couple things...freeze-dried pommegranate seeds and freeze-dried red grapes as treats. I'll love the pommegranate seeds sprinkled on yogurt and I'll have to hide the grapes or they'll be gone in a flash! Fun stuff.

/tricia

• triciae
    11 years ago

Barnmom,

After I placed my order, I was browsing through their recipes and they've got some fun and different recipe ideas. First up is going to be a peanut butter and freeze-dried red grape sandwich on our homemade bread. P&J with a crunch! How good does that sound?!! :)

Thanks again.

/tricia

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grainlady, I was thinking you have posted before the brand or source of your powdered milk. Can you repeat that information here, please?

I've copied and pasted this thread, and will continue to do so. It's quite useful and very helpful.

Thanks to all for your help.

Sally

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

sally2-

Best flavor and the one I like to use for homemade kefir -

Grandma's Country Cream - http://www.grandmascountryfoods.com/CountryCreamPowderedMilk/

I purchase this in #10 cans (store the longest) as well as for everyday use in a 25# pail. This is an instant NON-fat milk powder and mixes with cold water. A #10 can = 20-quarts.

-Morning Moo's Whey-based Milk Substitute - good flavor, low lactose. Our lactose intolerant family members use this brand. You can find it at Augason Farms - http://www.augasonfarms.com/Eggs-and-dairy. I also purchase it through Sam's Club (on-line) and have it dropped shipped - often less expensive than ordering from Augason Farms. We love the chocolate flavor Moo's, it's my milk-loving hubby's favorite nightcap - we mix chocolate 50/50 with the white Moo's or it's too chocolatey for us. This is a NON-instant milk powder and must be mixed with hot water. A #10 can = just over 5-1/2 gallons. Best price per gallon of milk is when you purchase a 50# bag (I share one with a friend about once a year). We've used Morning Moo's for about 20-years and some version or other of whey-based milk and dried milk products since 1981.

You might enjoy the link below. I've tried, or have in storage, every milk product in this test.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Powdered Milk Taste Test and Review

• jpeterson3153
    11 years ago

We do a large food storage (1 year worth). I can and dehydrate...a lot! I supplement with couponing. We grow year round. We buy grain in bulk and grind it ourselves. We have a few chickens and barter for meat and goat's milk...then I coupon my butt off haha. I think if you are looking to cut corners to save money learning a back - to - basics lifestyle works well for us. We have one income and 5 kids. My children are unschooled so fashion is not really valued in our home ;) our kids help out with daily food prep, which includes homemade bread and greens from the hoophouse. My kids know how to can and dehydrate...even sew. All of this helps beyond food storage.

Thanks for letting me share :)

~Jen

• cloudy_christine
    11 years ago

How do you all store water? I don't much like the thought of water sitting for a very long time in those plastic gallon bottles.

• lbpod
    11 years ago

And don't forget guns and ammunition.
    In the event of a national catastrophe,
    there will be hungry people that are
    desperately looking for food, and if they
    know you have some, they will do anything
    they can to take it from you.

• triciae
    11 years ago

lbpod, shame on you!

I am not a survivalist living in a cave on 500 acres. I live in a village where I know most everybody. If someone is hungry and needs a meal, I'm glad to feed them if I can. We already give our local food bank a helping hand because many are already hungry. I am more concerned with life's personal emergencies than "national catastrophe". :)

CC, there are many safe ways to store water even for those living in smaller spaces.

/tricia

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

As Tricia mentioned, there are many safe water storage methods. If you do nothing more than save fruit juice bottles or 2-liter soda/pop bottles, clean and fill them with tap water treated with unscented liquid bleach, that's a good start. You can store them behind your sofa, along the back of your closets....

Make sure you treat each bottle with the appropriate amount of unscented liquid bleach - which keeps algae from growing in the bottles and you will find those amounts in the link below from the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service.

We have water stored in the basement in 3- and 5-gallon water bottles (PBA-free bottles are now available) and have added a few bottles each year. The 3-gallon bottles are on sturdy racks designed for storing three 5-gallon bottles each (we have 4 of these racks). There are shelves that hold the 3-gallon bottles (5 bottles per shelf), and I squeeze in recycled bottles anywhere possible. I prefer sizes I can easily handle, but there are water barrels available in a number of sizes (15- 30- and 55 gallons). There are plastic bladders available that fit under beds.

Some of our bottles are filled with tap water + bleach, and others are filled with water I distill at home. The distilled water is used in the humidifiers in the winter, so it's always rotated. I do renew the contents of the bottles on a regular basis. You can always filter your stored water if you are uncomfortable using it for drinking.

Avoid using recycled milk jugs. The plastic is actually fairly porous and can absorb odors or chemicals. This type of plastic is designed to degrade, so after being in storage you might find them leaking. Another problem with recycled milk jugs comes from the milk fat bonding with the plastic, and it's impossible to wash it out. The fat can go rancid during storage.

I would also avoid storing commercial bottled water because it hasn't been treated with bleach, so after awhile in storage you'll find it turns kinda "funky" smelling from algae growth. Store water in the dark.

We have a system of rain barrels outdoors for outdoor watering and when they are full we have 1,000 gallons of water - so that's another source for water in an emergency. Don't forget your hot water tank is a source in an emergency.

We have a method for filtering the rain water and can make it potable or purified for drinking. For drinking water we have a Berkey Water Filter, 1-gallon electric water distiller, and a non-electric water distiller, plus a couple different Katadyne water filters.

We've distilled or used a Berkey Water Filter for our home drinking water for nearly 3 decades - so this isn't a new process for us.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Emergency Drinking Water Supplies

• cloudy_christine
    11 years ago

Thank you for the information and the link. I find I can taste something in the bottled water we occasionally buy, something I believe is the plastic. We get the small bottles for car trips, and I always pour the water out of mine and fill it from the tap. I must check on the different types of plastic that can be used to store water.

• malna
    11 years ago

We store emergency water in extra canning jars. Fill them from the tap, boiling water bath them for 20 minutes, and you're good to go. I'm storing my glass jars anyway so why not fill them up with something useful when there's no more produce to can? They're not taking up any more room LOL.

• jpeterson3153
    11 years ago

you do not need to use bleach if you are filling with tap water if your state treats your water with chlorine. filling juice bottles and 2 liters is what I do and I store them just under my sink and they will stay for years although I do change mine out yrly. if the water taste "stale" just puring it a few times will add back in the oxygen that makes it taste like water. a really good book for this is Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis by Peggy Layton. She explains all about how to store water with your food storage and how to use your food storage with everyday meal plans on a budget. It was the first book I ever bought on the subject and still use it a lot. I would google "urban homesteading." Urban homesteaders live a back to basic lifestyle some are also called homestead preppers.

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again for all the information. I'm going to check out all the websites, and look for the books.

Sally

• readinglady
    11 years ago

At the link below you will find instructions for boiling water bath processing of drinking water. It does not require the addition of bleach and results in a bacteriologically safe product with an indefinite shelf life.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning Drinking Water

• John Liu
    11 years ago

I keep reading the title of this thread as "Getting started on food shortage" and I open it to add my condolences, maybe offer to send a fruitcake. Then I see what the topic really is. My condolences. Would you like a fruitcake?

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

johnliu-

No condolences necessary. I don't know about the others who contributed to this thread, but I already have the ingredients in STORAGE with which to make fruitcake ('tis the season after all), and know of no SHORTAGES. Or perhaps you prefer a less threatening phrase like "at-the-ready". I am, however, very sorry the information shared seems to insult your sensibilities somehow. That, indeed, is very sad.

-Grainlady

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

If you anticiapte a long term water shortage is a possibility, a DIY solar distiller is very practical.

dcarch

• triciae
    11 years ago

John,

Ditto what grainlady said & I also have the ingredients for fruitcake in STORAGE.

The organic apples here are terrible this year because of a late freeze and a nasty July hail storm. Whatever good local ones I can find are expensive & I don't want to trapse all over the state searching. Darn, I really like good apple pie. What to do, what to do??? Oh, that's right - I had the foresight to plan ahead in case something like this happened. I've got those delicious apples in STORAGE at much lesser cost than this year's crop.

/tricia

• foodonastump
    11 years ago

Don't worry, John, I laughed, even though I am somewhat interested in the topic. (Which is why I keep coming back to read.)

Tricia - Is that a general statement about this year's apple crop? My daughter went apple picking yesterday with her kindergarten class and what she came home with are horrible, mushy apples. I'll probably use them for cooking or baking something that she'll like, but they're not edible raw.

• triciae
    11 years ago

FOAS,

No, it's reality this year unfortunately. I tried about a month ago to buy organic apples but they were terrible and I just made some applesauce and packaged for short-term use in muffins, quick breads, etc. Organics are always MUCH less common and more expensive but this year's crop just isn't worth buying. Remember those July storms? The crop looks like Nellis AFR in Nevada near where I lived as a kid. Craters everywhere! :) So, this year I'm going to use the freeze-dried organic apples I squirreled away for such events that I can't predict.

/tricia

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

John, I thought what you said was funny, and I laughed, too, which, I'm sure was your intent. I've misread many a title here. But no thank you, John, I'll pass on the fruitcake. Too many carbs, you know.

Sally

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I also thought it was funny and I'm one who actually stores quite a lot, although it's not for any reason other than I like to know what I'm eating so I grow it and can it myself.

Can't stand fruitcake, though, that nasty candied citron makes me shudder and I'm too lazy to candy my own fruit, so thanks anyway. (grin)

I also have dried apples that I can use, we had a bumper crop last year, also some frozen cider left for brining pork loin. Funny about apples, though, I'm relatively apathetic, apple pie certainly is not my favorite. Instead, I mourned over the loss of the cherry crop here, though I have some still in the freezer. I eat them fresh by the bowlful when they're ripe here but any local cherries this year were $6 a pound. Nope, don't like them that much....

Annie

• triciae
    11 years ago

When I get around to making a pie with the freeze-dried apples, I'll post a picture so everybody can see the difference from dehydrated. It's remarkable.

We're busy this afternoon making crab-stuffed shells for the freezer. Filling is made, sauce is simmering, pasta water is on to boil. We'll assembly line it and make 4 trays plus dinner tonight. Sounds good to me...haven't had them in a couple years.

/tricia

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Tricia, I don't even care for fresh apples all that much, so the difference between freeze dried and dehydrated would make little impact on my choice. (shrug) I like pears better, thankfully they are equally nutritious. Actually, I'm not wild for fruit, I like vegetables better. Yeah, I know, I'm odd...

Since I've never learned to cook for one or two, I often make extra and freeze it. My stepmother is often the recipient, as are my girls. Yesterday I put 6 pints of Ann T's green stacked enchilada sauce in the freezer, minus the cream. We'll see how it freezes, but the remainder that remained unfrozen will be tonight's supper, along with a vegetarian chili that Elery is making from Cook's Illustrated.

Annie

• shambo
    11 years ago

I got the first of several packages of "stuff" I ordered. Some freeze-dried fruits, sour cream powder, & peanut butter powder. I already have tomato powder & butter powder. Now I've got some questions:

Do you happen to have a recipe for "instant" cream of tomato soup using tomato powder?

Same question but for "instant" cream of mushroom soup. I bought some freeze dried mushrooms.

I'm not much of a dessert maker, and anything that requires creaming butter is almost certainly crossed off my list. If I wanted to use powdered butter in a coffee cake, muffin, or snack cake type application, would I need to reconstitute it first?

Finally, I saw some Bob's Red Mill "Sweet Dairy Whey" at Whole Foods yesterday. I was sorely tempted to buy it, but I have no idea how I would use it. The package info says it's good in baked goods, and the website's recipes are for baked good too. But I couldn't quite figure out if it was being used as a substitute for fat or sweetener. Is it similar enough to the typical protein powder that it could be used in smoothies? Just curious...

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bob's Red Mill Sweet Dairy Whey

• cynic
    11 years ago

The only things I'll add is if you're just starting, try not to be overwhelmed and don't be intimidated. It's taken Grainlady a lifetime to learn everything she knows and develop her system - a system that works for her. Yours will likely be different. I'd be amazed if it wasn't.

Then, start slow. I think everyone who wants money should make/use a price book unless you have a good memory. Start monitoring and learning prices on 5 or 10 or 20 prices. One or two is a start. Then you won't be fooled by the endcap "sales" that aren't a good deal.

Be creative in storing. You don't need a warehouse. You have space under a bed? In the basement? Garage? It doesn't have to be right in the kitchen, especially for longer term storage.

Last suggestion, I highly recommend the Tightwad Gazette books for learning. I'm not saying you should do everything she does or even her recipes necessarily. But reading these books help you get the mindset on a goal. Your goal will be different than hers. It's light reading and fun reading. You can pick it up and continue at any time. There's lots of great resources.

Well, ok, one more suggestion: Keep a pen/pencil and paper with you at all times or as I do now, a digital recorder. When I'm out and see things, I note prices, AND SIZES (they can fool you) and include them in my price notes.

Good luck. And have fun with it.

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

Shambo-

If you like, and normally use, Condensed Canned Soup, you should include them in your food storage rather than trying to replicate it. Condensed soups are common food storage items and used in lots of food storage recipes.

However, if you are trying to avoid the high-sodium content and "odd-ball" ingredients found in most commercial canned soup, or want a reasonable substitute from storage ingredients, then there are recipes you may want to try - just don't expect the same thing (taste-wise) as Campbell's Soup. There is a number of Cream of _______ Soup base mixes to choose from if you are trying to avoid canned soups (see the link below). Augason Farms even has a #10 can of soup base, which is probably similar to what we make in our mixes.

Creamed soups are really nothing more than white sauce plus added ingredients like chicken and bouillon, cheese, mushrooms, tomatoes, celery, etc. - just like we learned to make in Home Economics all those years ago. We've just gotten out of the habit of making it from scratch and reach for a can of soup instead.

I like to use "Magic Mix" (a mix developed by the Utah State Extension Service), and I use the gluten-free version that uses cornstarch instead of all-purpose flour. I use cornstarch because I don't store all-purpose flour, but I DO store cornstarch - which has a long shelf-life. I also use coconut oil instead of butter called for in the recipe so it's shelf-stable and doesn't require any refrigeration.

MAGIC MIX
    2-1/3 c. dry NON-instant powdererd milk* (I use Morning Moo's Whey-based Milk Substitute)
    1 c. all-purpose flour, OR 1/2 c. cornstarch
    1 c. butter, at room temperature (I use LouAna Coconut Oil)

Combine dry milk, flour or cornstarch, and butter into a large bowl. Mix with electric hand mixer until it looks like cornmeal. Keep mix tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 8-months. Yield: 5-cups.

*If all you have available to you is INSTANT non-fat dry milk, you can blend the dry milk powder until it's a fine powder, and then it will measure the same as NON-instant dry milk powder.

To make Condensed Cream of Tomato Soup:
    1 c. Magic Mix
    1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
    1 t. dried parsley flakes (optional)
    salt and pepper to taste
    Combine Magic Mix and diced tomatoes. Stir constantly over medium-high heat until mixture thickens. Add parsley, salt and pepper. Blend in blender until smooth. Serve immediately, or use in any recipe calling for canned cream of tomato soup.

Cream of Mushroom Soup - using Magic Mix
    1 c. Magic Mix
    1 can (4-5 oz.) can mushroom pieces and stems, undrained (you can also use rehydrated freeze-dried or dehydrated mushrooms + the water used to rehydrate them
    1/4 c. water
    2 drops Kitchen Bouquet (optional, for color only)
    dash onion salt
    dash pepper

Combine Magic Mix, mushrooms and liquid, and water. Stir constantly over medium-high heat until mixture thickens. Add Kitchen Bouquet, onion salt, and pepper. Use in any recipe calling for canned cream of mushroom soup.

Other recipes using Magic Mix found in the book - "I Can't Believe It's Food Storage" by Crystal Godfrey...
    -Pesto Alfredo Sauce
    -Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
    -Condensed Cream of Broccoli Soup
    -Condensed Cream of Celery Soup
    -Magic Mix Gravy
    -Magic Mix Fudgsicles
    -Magic Mix Pudding
    -Magic Mix White Sauce

Recipe found on\-line. Tomato Soup Mix \- Single Serving by: Budget101 4 T. Non\-fat dry milk 2 T. Powdered dry tomatoes (you may want to start with 1 T. and add more if needed) 1/8 t. Basil Salt , Dash Pepper, Dash Measure all into jar or ziploc bag, shake to combine. Add mix to 1 Mug of Hot water, stir, let set 2 minutes, enjoy.

TOMATO BASIL SOUP
    (source: Jan's Fabulous Food Storage Recipes - Converting Stored Foods into Useable Meals - by Jan LeBaron)

3 T. dehydrated chopped onions
    1 t. dried garlic granules
    1 t. dried basil
    1 c. tomato powder
    4 c. water
    1 c. diced freeze-dried tomatoes (optional)

In a large pan add 4 c. water, bring water to boil, lower heat and then add garlic granules, basil, whisk in tomato powder until smooth, if you are adding tomatoes dices add last 5-6 minutes.

LOW\-FAT CREAM SOUP MIX (source: "Use It or Lose It" (food storage cooking school) \- by Rebecca Low and Deloy Hendricks \- Utah State University Extension) http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FN_503.pdf 2 c. INSTANT dry milk (or 1\-1/4 c. NON\-instant) 3/4 c. cornstarch 1/4 c. chicken bouillon granules 2 T. onion flakes (dried) 1 t. basil (dried) 1 t. thyme (dried) 1/2 t. pepper Combine all ingredients and mix. Store in air tight container until ready to use. Equivalent to 9 cans of cream soup. To substitute for 1 can condensed soup: Combine 1/3 c. dry mix (use 1/4 c. if made with NON\-instant dry milk) and 1\-1/4 c. cool water or liquid from vegetables. Cook over medium heat, stirring until thickened. Add thickened mixture to casseroles as you would a can of soup. Do a search and you will find many more recipes on\-line for creamed soup substitute mixes to try.

Powered butter can be reconstituted to make a spread, and I add a little coconut oil to it to add back some fat. When used in baking it is not necessary to reconstitute. Simply add it to your dry ingredients and increase the liquid the amount it would take to reconstitute.

For home food storage I prefer coconut oil for cooking and baking to powdered butter, and that's the main source of fat I store. I store some powdered butter, but I only occasionally rotate it into the pantry and use it mostly for homemade mixes and baking. I also store grass-fed organic ghee (mostly for it's nutrition) and commercially canned butter (Red Feather Pure Canned Butter).
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Sweet Dairy Whey-

I worked with Sweet Dairy Whey years ago as a substitute for some of the sugar in recipes. I've never used it since..... I do, however, store and use whey protein powder (and as you suspected, they are not the same thing). I often increase the protein profile of baked goods and snacks by adding protein powder - especially when we have a vegetarian day. I also use a whey-based milk substitute (Morning Moo's) which has a shortening-like effect on baked goods, so you can often use less fat in a recipe. I've made low-carb cream cheese frosting using Morning Moo's powder instead of powdered sugar and sweetened it with a little agave nectar or stevia.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Making Magic Mixes

• shambo
    11 years ago

Grainlady, thanks for your help. I'm not so much planning a food storage program as trying to get some convenience mixes in my pantry for those days when I'm not feeling well enough to cook much. And as everyone knows, the convenience products available in local grocery stores are filled with weird ingredients, are too salty for my use, and often simply do not taste that good.

My interest in the so-called "instant" or near-instant soups is to help both me and my husband get past the mid-afternoon doldrums that always hit us. I don't do well with sweet snacks nor do I enjoy creamy sweet drinks like smoothies or even fruit flavored yogurts. But I enjoy broth-type soups or creamy soups. That's why I'm really interested in the Magic-Mix soup recipes you've listed above.

I've already started making "instant" potato soup with dried mashed potato flakes. I know it doesn't compare to "the real thing," but it helps me get past the late afternoon doldrums. The advantage is that it's shelf-stable so I don't have to worry about refrigeration or freezing it in individual portions. For some reason, my husband has always liked canned cream of mushroom soup as a soup. So I thought he might enjoy a homemade Mushroom Cup-O-Soup.

I've ordered some black bean and green pea flour from Bob's Red Mill with the hopes of perfecting instant bean soups. I also ordered a couple of the books you suggested and will probably spend much of the winter experimenting with homemade mixes of all sorts. Unlike me, my husband likes smoothies every once in a while, so I'm sure he'll enjoy adding some peanut butter powder to his concoctions. I followed the recipe for homemade coffee creamer powder and have been using it every evening with my nightly cup of decaf. The coconut oil does give it the mouth-feel of powdered creamer. It's not perfect but close enough. It's another project for experimentation.

Anyhow, thanks for your help. I'll probably have plenty more questions as my purchases start coming in.

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

Shambo,

I mill my own beans and peas into flour to make "instant" refried beans and "instant" soup mixes (recipes found in "Country Beans" by Rita Bingham). Make "instant" split pea soup really thick, add some seasonings or even some salsa, and use it as a spread on crackers.

I made almond milk Friday and added coconut oil to it (BTW, inspired by your powdered milk "creamer" recipe) and thought it was a lot smoother and it could also be used for a dairy-free creamer. I'm trying out recipes using the almond pulp (both damp and dried) remaining after you strain the almond milk, and made spicy crackers and dehydrated them. A nice high-protein, low-carb snack. Next time I'll make something similar to graham crackers from the pulp. I finally put pencil to paper - I can save money making my own almond flour instead of buying it from Honeyville Grain - plus the 3-4 cups of almond milk I get from 1-cup of almonds.

How about small pancakes (pikelets) topped with peanut butter or applesauce as a snack. This recipe makes 6 small pancakes, enough for breakfast and reheated for a snack. They freeze well.

In a small bowl (I use my 2-cup glass measuring cup for easy pouring) mix: 1/2 c. oatmeal and 1/3 c. buttermilk (I use homemade kefir). Cover the container and let sit overnight (room temperature or in the refrigerator - your choice).

The next morning add:
    3 T. whey protein powder OR hi-maize flour
    1 T. palm sugar (or brown sugar)
    1/4 t. baking powder
    1/4 t. baking soda
    1/4 t. salt
    [I mix the dry ingredients in a small container the night before to save time.]
    1 T. melted coconut oil or vegetable oil
    1 egg

-Grainlady

• shambo
    11 years ago

Grainlady, I've saved your bean flour recipes for instant bean soups and refried beans. Bob's Red Mill has a few recipes too, so I'll be trying all of them. It's funny that you should suggest using thick split pea soup as a spread. When I was teaching, one of my favorite lunches was Rye Crisp crackers and the split pea spread from Laurel's Kitchen. That was definitely on my mind when I ordered the green pea flour.

Thanks for the recipe. Along a similar line, I make either whole wheat or cornmeal waffles regularly. We never eat them freshly made though -- only frozen. My husband likes them toasted with peanut butter & jam for breakfast. I like them just plain, eaten out of hand. I grab one when I'm heading out in the morning and know I need something quick.

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again for all the answers, and additional good questions, everyone. I'm saving all this information.

I used to subscribe to Tightwad Gazette, and had her books, which were a reprint of the newsletter. I gave them all away to people I thought could use them. I loved them, but had to make space. I wouldn't mind re-reading them, just as reminders. I wonder what she's up to now.

Sally

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

saly2-

There was discussion in 2008 (I believe it was in Money Saving Tips) about "The Frugal Zealot" - Amy Dacyczyn. "The Simple Dollar" did an interview with her and the link for the interview is below.

I still read the books at least once a year. Sure, some of the tips are rather out-dated, but there is still plenty of information and inspiration in them.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: The Simple Dollar - Interview

• beth_b_kodiak
    11 years ago

Fantastic thread! So much info I'm going to be studying it and following links for a few days.
    Many thanks ladies. I'll be back :)

• sooz
    11 years ago

This is such a good thread that I thought I'd do the bumpity bump up for it.

Smiles,
    Sooz

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022