Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
KitchenAide 7 quart mixer

Posted by maire_cate (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 9:10

While looking for a wedding gift I noticed what I think is a fairly new KitchenAid stand mixer which has a greater capacity (16 cups of flour), larger motor and is also rated for commercial kitchens. Since my Hobart made KitchAid is now nearly 40 years old I'm hoping this model will be as problem free and avoid the issues many had with mixing bread dough.

It's available at Williams Sonoma and also at restaurant supply sources. It's on sale at W. S. for $550 which is about $100 more than the 6 quart Pro models.

Has anyone here used one and can offer comments?

Here is a link that might be useful: W. S. KitchenAid 7 quart mixer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: KitchenAide 7 quart mixer

I'm going to pretend I didn't see this.... I don't need another KA but 'want' is another thing.

Nancy

o

I know exactly how you feel - as I originally posted, my 40 year old KA is just fine but the thought of being able to mix enough dough for multiple loaves of bread did make my heart quicken.

Here it is on a restaurant supply link and their price is about the same. However theirs only comes in white with a bright orange commercial cord.

Here is a link that might be useful: Restaurant supply

o

The restaurant supply one has a dishwasher safe stainless steel flat beater and dough hook. The ones on my 6 quart have aluminum and can't go through the dishwasher. Mine is doing fine and a nice dark grey color, but if it gave up the ghost, the stainless steel attachments would be desirable.

The Williams Sonoma website doesn't state the material for the flat beater and dough hook but it says they should be hand washed. The KitchenAide site doesn't show the Williams Sonoma version of the mixer.

o

The 7-quart Kitchenaid stand mixer is not that much more powerful (500 watts) than other stand mixers (1,000 watts) in the same class.

In order to keep the same form factor as all the other models, Kitchenaid had to use a special smaller permanent magnet DC motor to fit in the same case. I would assume that if the motor ever needs replacement, it will be extremely expensive.

And I am not saying this new 7-quart model is not an excellent mixer.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here