Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glazed Carrots

Posted by mrsbeasley (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 8:59

My grandson is not much of a vegetable eater, but he will eat every carrot if I put a honey glaze on them, sometimes I don't use honey, I use sugar, and I have even used Maple Syrup.

With the abundance of carrots this fall, I would like to do down some carrots in a sugar syrup, then I could heat them up, maybe add a little butter, I'm sure he would love them, and I could give some jars to my daughter and he might just eat carrots at home too!

I can't find a recipe for carrots preserved in a sugar syrup, but I'm thinking I could use the sugar syrup recipe for pears and other fruit, Any advice? What do you think.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glazed Carrots

Carrots are so easy to fix. I like to cook them in a little water, drain well, add a pat of butter and a spoon of good orange marmalade. Orange and carrots is a lovely combination.

o

Yes, I like to cook them that way, and they are indeed delish. I'm looking for a way of preserving them, perhaps in a sugar syrup, so I could just open the jar, perhaps add a pat of butter and heat. I'd also like to give some of these jars of carrots to my daughter, so she could do the same.

o

Here is one from the Ball Blue Book, I found them a bit sweet but the kids loved them:

Glazed Carrots

6-7 lbs carrots
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups water
1 cup orange juice

Wash and peel carrots. Wash again. Cut carrots into 3 inch pieces. Slice thicker ends in half lengthwise.

Combine brown sugar, water and orange juice in a saucepot. Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Keep syrup hot.

Pack carrots tightly into hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace.

Ladle hot syrup over carrots, leaving 1-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps.

Process pints and quarts 30 minutes at 10 pounds pressure in a steam-pressure canner.

This one came from the Harvest Forum several years ago:

Carrots (amount you wish to can)
Frozen juice concentrate thawed
Brown Sugar

2 TBLS Cranberry or apple or pineapple or orange juice concentrate per quart jar or 1 tblspoon per pint. 1tbls brown sugar per quart or 1 tsp per pint. If you prefer it not sweet, leaving out the sugar is okay. Add your choice of juice concentrate to each jar. Add carrots. OMIT salt. Add water. Can your carrots as per USDA recommendations for time/pressure, quarts or pints.

Serve cranberry carrots tossed with cooked fresh cranberries or canned whole berry sauce. Serve Pineapple carrots with tossed with the small canned pineapple pieces (I can't remember what they call them) Serve Apple carrots with grated appled rinsed in fruit fresh. Serve orange carrots tossed with coconut or mandarin orange slices.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here