Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for simple low-carb/low-fat/wheat-free meals?

Posted by party_music50 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 8:56

One of my favorite bad-weather activities here is to have friends over to play some darts or pool. I like to have simple munchies available while we're playing, but also like have a simple meal that I can quickly finish and heat in the oven or on the stove without too much intervention while I play. :) Unfortunately, so many people have special dietary requirements now that I'm often at a loss for what to make for a meal.

Does anyone have ideas/suggestions for reasonably low-carb, low-fat, and wheat-free meals that would fit the bill? It's the low-carb part that always stumps me. :p

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for simple low-carb/low-fat/wheat-free meals?

Grilled chicken breast or fish and a salad. Strawberries for dessert as they are lower in carbs than some other fruits.

Can you at least distinguish between saturated fats and other fats, so will they eat nuts? Olive oil in a dressing? I know some GFers won't eat vinegar, so you'd have to make the dressing with lemon juice...

I have a friend who is...besides crazy...gluten free, vegan, no chocolate, no gum...when she comes over, I offer her water...I think she can do water..maybe some herbal tea in it.

o

LOL!!!! AnnieDeighnaugh, that's too funny! Not tap water, though! :)

You are correct regarding the fats distinction -- 'good' fats are definitely allowed and things like nuts and olive oils would be fine to use.

I should say that none of these people is a stickler and can and will be easily tempted to eat lots of things that they should not be eating. I'd like to at least TRY to provide reasonable options for everyone. For example, if I make kielbasa, sauerkraut, potatoes, and wheat-free pumpernickel bread, I figure the low-carb guy can omit the potatoes and bread, the low-fat guy can skimp on kielbasa, and the wheat-free guy can eat all of it. :p

I guess the answer is to stick to lean meat and green leafy vegetables, but that seems so incomplete to me.

This post was edited by party_music50 on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 9:40

o

Dips, dips and another dip!

Years ago i self-appointed to be the designated chef at family gatherings...both families, and
full of real, imagined, self-inflicted, moral, or just plain attention seeking dietary needs.
(one year my niece and nephew, 6yrs and 12, announced vegan, lol)

For game-side i would make dips with every dipper veg available. I ended up getting the list for different diets and made stuff up. Actually ended up being not much different than what we eat with a few adjustments...for example, a humus without beans....

4 cups peeled & chopped raw zucchini
2 cups roasted califlower, chopped (optional)
3/4 cups tahini (sesame paste)
1/2 cup fresh lemon or lime juice
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, peeled
2 teaspoons kosher salt (or to taste)
1 Tbl ground cumin
tender center with leaves of celery
cilantro with stems, to taste
-puree in blender

A salsa, a bana coda, a goat cheese pesto dip...i use my harvested roasted toms with veggies from the freezer and add lime, cilantro, and red onion when thawed for salsa.

I have even included the recipe under the serving bowls, lol. So tired of all the questions of ingredients,...(after a few days when everyone turns kook.) Cooking keeps me out of the chatter for the most part. I make a ton of each, have serving bowls prepped and ready but have back-up quarts for re-filling if needed. (and good left-overs if one dip is not so popular)

I like the chicken strips on skewers idea and maybe shrimp. Prepped ahead and popped in the oven if something warm is needed. With a nice Asian nutty sauce. (roasted pumpkin seeds?)

A family favorite is tortilla pizza. Low carb, gluten-free, this and that tortilla options in a health food store. Many options for toppings and can be chosen for each diet individually. I prep all ahead in the morning...onions mushrooms simmered, roasted peppers and veg, a variety of cheeses, different meats...a mandoline is key for a thin edge of potato or sweet potato. The tortilla is thin and gets crispy quickly. Not a dough thick pizza...more about the toppings. Seems to please everyone no mater the diet issues. A prosciutto roll up with cheese and veg on parchment is a no crust option.
This one is asparagus, mozz, tom and arugula with pesto under the thin potato edge.

-my personal favorite is onion, gorgonzola, prosciutto, artichoke heart with an egg, (broken yolk) cracked on top. : )...with a pesto potato edge.

This post was edited by sleevendog on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 1:04

o

Party, funny that you asked that question today because we had guests for dinner last night with similar dietary restrictions. Please pardon the pic that DH took with his phone camera before he took the plates out of the kitchen, with his shadowy presence darkening the plate.

photo image_zps1ec4ba6e.jpg

Grilled bone-in and skinless chicken thighs, grilled big white mushrooms basted with olive oil and sprinkled with Creole seasoning, and steamed shredded carrots with a drizzle of honey and chopped fresh mint. The salad was shredded lettuce and lots of watercress topped with a tomato stuffed with marinated cucumbers and onions.

Dessert was cut up peaches, prune plums, Seckel pears and blueberries with cannoli cream made with low fat ricotta.

I think mushrooms are good for adding that solid carby mouthfeel and had extra chicken, mushrooms and carrots for seconds. They did comment that they enjoyed the meal and were happy not to feel guilty of violating their diet.

o

sleevendog, your mention of skewered chicken reminded me of a chicken w/ rosemary on salad and a chicken satay on salad that I've tried in the long past and really liked. Those would work well. And I LOVE the idea of the tortilla pizzas! How do you handle the tortilla so it doesn't get soggy and fall apart w/ the toppings? Do you pre-fry in oil to soften/crisp it like for filling enchilladas, or pre-heat in the oven to dry it before adding toppings? oven temp of 425F?

ruthanna, your dinner pic looks great and that salad sounds wonderful! Your suggestion to use mushrooms for a "solid carby mouthfeel" is spot on!!! I can live without meat, but need more than low-carb veggies.

I also just remembered that one of my friends is dairy-intolerant..... so the list goes on. In the past two years I've had to learn more about fats, flours, gluten, gums, and carbs than I ever wanted to know. I'm having to change away from familiar ingredients and recipes to be able to accommodate everyone and these new ideas are very helpful. Thank you for all the suggestions!

o

Here is another pic in the oven...we don't even bother with our stone for this. Hot oven and middle rack. Cooks fast! And why the edge item needs to be super thin. My BIL likes a veg edge like zucchini or one of his greens like chard. We don't pack it on with sauce. A little pesto or a very flavorful tomato sauce. No pre-cooking. It actually will lift off the pizza pan in one crispy piece. (i'm sure every oven is different though, but it will get crispy)
I have three pans so one is ready to go in when one comes out. The kids tend to pile it on and sometimes it gets a bit soggy in the middle. Wet ingredients i like to pre-cook like mushroom, spinach, onion. Pat dry with p-towel.
My husband makes wonderful homemade crust nice and thin but it can be such a mess and trying to bang out so many in a row when everyone wants something different. Great leftovers folded like a quesadilla popped in the fridge. They freeze great.
(this one is with the red potatoes that are red-ish inside and why they look so pink- an older pic that looks like a DH favorite with three cheese, garlic, prosciutto, anchovy)
The edge will burn if not covered with something, and a drip of ev olive oil on top of the potato is nice.
Always someone allergic to dairy. Caramelized onions are creamy you barely miss the cheese with olives, spinach and shelled edamame, red pepper...
--the potato is only on the outer ring, (or zucchini) to keep the tortilla from burning. I don't think potato would cook all the way done if on the entire surface.
My wall oven is vintage and gas and 24" and HOT. I crank it for pizza.

This post was edited by sleevendog on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 1:08

o

Paleo website offer a great selection of recipes.
My go to's are eggs, steak or chicken with sauteed veggies (onions, spinach, kale, mushrooms), sweet potato chips (seasoned with olivie oil, salt, pepper, rosemary, oregano, thyme), chili with small portion of black beans for the bean portion, salmon fish cakes (2 cans with 1 egg and parsley - fry up in some coconut oil) with a salad, beef and quinoa soup (fry up a fast fry steak - chop up in little pieces, 4 cups beef stock, 1/3 cup quinoa - boil for 5 minutes add chopped carrots, celery and onion and boil for 6 more minutes - add handful of kale (fresh or frozen) and your chopped beef, serve).

o

This site has a ton of great looking recipes, well, one hundred anyways.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.primalbritain.co.uk/top-100-paleo-recipes/

o

Thanks for the baking info and pics, sleevendog. It's definitely on my 'to try' list.

cookie8, thanks for the info and link! I had to look up what a paleo diet is, and then I started going through the recipes listed at the site. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here