SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katefisher_gw

Resting your quick bread batter

katefisher
14 years ago

Last night I decided to use up some of the zucchini garden haul and make zucchini bread. Since I already have a couple of loaves in the freezer I made an executive decision and made zucchini muffins instead. Having never done that before I was kind of winging it and didn't know how many it would make.

I filled one muffin pan and put them in the oven and while they were baking I had enough batter left to fill the other muffin pan halfway. The second pan waited patiently on the counter for 20 minutes for the first pan to finish cooking. After the second pan was done and we took them out it was easy to see the muffins were a little different. The second ones having rested had risen more and were bigger. I haven't tried them yet so I don't know if there was any difference in flavor.

Well I had no idea they would be different! From now on I intend to let my batter rest a little bit as by having them cook up bigger I felt I was getting a little more bang for my buck if you will.

Does anyone else do this? Rest your batter? I guess I thought that quick breads especially should not be allowed to hang out like that and when making things like banana and zucchini bread I always pop them straight into the oven until last night.

Thank you.

Kate

Comments (8)