SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edeevee

Mrs. Lovett's Meat (and meatless) Pies

edeevee
9 years ago

I host a Halloween party every year with a friend. It's kind of a mobile scavenger hunt with a theme -- that ends up at the party location, where we provide food. We always have wienies for roasting, but indoors we like to present hearty appetizers and desserts too, along with at least one or two selections that represent the theme.

The party is always challenging because: 1) it's in a remote location that has a refrigerator and sink but little else in the way of a kitchen. Hot foods must be kept in crockpots and a roaster for up to 6 hours. 2) I do the final set up myself while the other hostess is managing the hunt. I'll have about an hour to do it. 3) Costs are kept at a minimum because the party is also a small fundraiser for a favorite local charity. 4) We never know how many guests will show up. It's usually between 20-40.

This year presents some extra challenges: 1) There are always a handful of vegetarians but now one of them has gone strict vegan. He'll pre-eat if I ask him to but I'd rather not. 2) It's at the end of a super busy week in which I'm working, my mom will be visiting our new home for the first time (must clean!), our sunporch renovation will be finishing up and we'll be responsible for the painting, my BFF is having a quite serious surgery 100 miles away, just 2 days before the event and I've promised to be there for her, and our theme this year is A Fright at the Opera, so the food should look a little more elegant than usual while still satisfying some not too adventurous eaters.

One thing I know I want to serve is some kind of mini meat pie to represent Sweeney Todd (and yes, I know it's not technically an opera). Something empanada, samosa, pierogi, or quiche-like that I can make ahead and keep warm. It would be great if I could figure out a meat, meatless, and vegan version of the same thing.

One thought I had was to do up a bunch of mini fillo, wonton or tortilla cups ahead of time and fill them at the last minute. Would store bought hummus or bean dip work in any of those?

Any other ideas for the pies? Or any other suggestions for good, fast, easy, cheap, elegant party food? Bonus points if you can tie it to the opera theme?

Not asking much, am I?

Comments (19)