Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seasonal cookie recipes

Posted by lakemayor (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 29, 10 at 6:36

Does anyone have interest in sharing their seasonal cookies recipes, i.e. made with pumpkin, squash, apples or any other harvest produce?

I love making cookies but I don't have any recipes for fall cookies.

Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seasonal cookie recipes

Hi Karen....as you are quite new on the forum you may not have seen this one which I've posted many times previously.

It's a good recipe for apple cookies passed on by my cousin's wife.

WILLOW'S GLAZED APPLE COOKIES

Cookies:

1/2 cup soft margarine
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teasp cinnamon
1/2 teasp cloves
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teasp baking powder
1 teasp baking soda
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/2 teasp salt
2 peeled and grated medium size Granny Smith apples
1 cup chopped raisins
1/4 cup milk

Glaze:

1 1/2 cup icing sugar
1 TBS soft butter
dash of vanilla
pinch of salt
dash of cinnamon
2 - 3 TBS cream
Stir well to make a very soft but not runny icing.

1) Cream margarine with sugar . Add egg and spices. Beat until well blended.

2) Add apples and milk.

3) Sift together the dry ingredients adding raisins (& nuts).

4) Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture and stir well until blended.

5) Drop by tablespoons onto greased cookie sheets, 2 inches apart.

6) Bake 13 - 14 minutes at 375F.

7) Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack and cool approx 10 minutes then glaze while still a bit warm.

SharonCb

o

I have made Willow's Iced Apple cookies and they are awesome. Here is another iced cookie that we really like too.

Alexa

Iced Pumpkin Cookies

INGREDIENTS:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and salt; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together the 1/2 cup of butter and white sugar. Add pumpkin, egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla to butter mixture, and beat until creamy. Mix in dry ingredients. Drop on cookie sheet by tablespoonfuls; flatten slightly.
3. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool cookies, then drizzle glaze with fork.
4. To Make Glaze: Combine confectioners' sugar, milk, 1 tablespoon melted butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add milk as needed, to achieve drizzling consistency.

o

Oh my, do both of those look good. I have to make a lot of cookies for Sunday so I will be making both.

Thank you so much. CF folks are the best! I know I could look for something on the internet but I know if you give the recipe it's going to be great.

Karen

o

This high-fiber recipe contains several foods I consider fall favorites - sorghum molasses, apple juice or cider, sunflower seeds (homegrown), as well as apples.

SPICY APPLE OATMEAL COOKIES

1 c. sorghum molasses
1 c. apple juice (or cider)
2/3 c. vegetable oil (I use coconut oil)
2-1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1-1/2 t. cinnamon
1 t. soda
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. salt
1 c. sunflower seeds
2-1/2 c. diced apples
3 c. uncooked oatmeal

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl combine the molasses, apple juice and vegetable oil. Stir until blended.

In another bowl mix together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt.

Add the dry ingredients to the liquids, a third at a time, blending well after each addition.

Fold in the sunflower seeds and diced apples.

Fold in the oatmeal.

Drop the batter by tablespoonfuls on oiled sheets and bake 12-14 minutes or until done and lightly browned.
----------------------------------------------------

Not sure if you consider black walnuts part of fall produce, but we do. One of nature's great FREE foods we gather each fall.

BLACK WALNUT AND OATMEAL COOKIES

3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1-1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. raisins or chocolate chips (optional)
1-1/4 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
3/4 t. salt
1/4 t. nutmeg
2 c. black walnuts

Mix sugar, egg, butter and vanilla together. Stir in dry ingredients and black walnuts. Spoon onto a cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F. for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Makes 3 dozen.

-Grainlady

o

Thanks Grainlady, Yes I do consider black walnuts a seasonal food. My grandfather used to pick them up where ever he could find them and crack them using a vice from his garage. I remember it well, it took him hours and hours to crack and pick the meats out. I also remember my family having sorghum molasses on our farm when I was little. I think they may have made it. I remember the smell which made me sick at the time. Seems like it was in a barrel of some sort. Fond memories. Thanks for bringing them back to me.

Thanks also for the recipes, they sound wonderful.

o

Karen, here are 2 of my families favorites for Fall cookies:
Apple Crisp Cookies
Cream Together:
1 c. shortening
1/2 c. butter or margarine
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1 c. sugar
Add:
1 (0.7oz.)pkg. instant spiced apple flavored drink mix
1 T. cinnamon
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
3 eggs
2 t. vanilla
3 c. flour
3 c. oatmeal
1 1/2 c. raisins
1 1/2 c. chopped dried apple
Drop by teaspoon onto sheets sprayed with Pam. 350* for 12 min. Makes 7 dozen.

Extra Spicy Ginger Snaps
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger, or more
to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
8 tablespoons (1 stick) cool unsalted
butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus extra
for rolling
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup molasses (not blackstrap)
1/4 cup egg whites (from about 2
eggs)
Combine the flour, baking soda, and
spices in a mixing bowl and set aside.
Cream the butter until smooth and
fluffy in a mixer fitted with a paddle
attachment (or using a hand mixer).
Add the sugars and mix. Add the
molasses and mix. Add the egg whites
in 2 batches, mixing to combine after
each addition. Add the dry ingredients
in three batches, mixing to combine
after each addition.
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread a few tablespoons of
granulated sugar on a small plate.
Roll the dough into 3/4-inch balls,
then roll each ball in the sugar until
lightly coated. Transfer to parchment
lined cookie sheets, leaving 1-inch of
space between the cookies. Bake until
browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on
wire racks and store in an airtight
container.
Yield: 60 cookies

o

I saw these great big soft iced sour cream cookies at the market last week. I sure would like to make some. I've not had good luck with making soft poofy cookies, but I love them. They would be great with lemon or orange icing. They cost too much for me to buy.

o

lpinkmoountain, I love the big soft iced cookies. I buy "Lofthouse" and I could eat the whole package. I've tried several times to come up with a recipe for them. I have made them with Bisquick and believe it or not, they taste very simular to the "Lofthouse" brand. Of course, I think part of it the in the icing which has to have a little almond flavoring. My all time favorite cookie.

o

Sorry for any inconvenience, but I have omitted the amount of oatmeal in the recipe I posted above for Black Walnut and Oatmeal Cookies. The amount is 3 cups. -Grainlady :-(

BLACK WALNUT AND OATMEAL COOKIES

3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1-1/4 c. butter
1 t. vanilla
3 c. oatmeal
1-1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. raisins or chocolate chips (optional)
1-1/4 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
3/4 t. salt
1/4 t. nutmeg
2 c. black walnuts

Mix sugar, egg, butter and vanilla together. Stir in dry ingredients and black walnuts. Spoon onto a cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F. for 10 minutes. remove from oven and let cool. Makes 3 dozen.

o

I can't buy Lofthouse cookies - or I would eat the entire package! Lakemayor, I'd love to try your Bisquick adaptation. I've often thought that they taste like they have cornstarch in them, too.

o

Me too, Karen (can we call you karen?). Please post your recipe for the Lofthouse cookies.

Thanks,
Jo

o

Jo, Absolutely you can call me Karen. We have two grand children staying with us tonight and tomorrow morning. I will look up my recipe using bisquick tomorrow. I just can't put my fingers on it tonight. But, my Aunt used to make a wonderful sugar cookie and I am posting that recipe. It's close to the Lofthouse cookies.

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup margerine
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp. cream of tarter
1 tsp. baking soda

Mix powdered sugar, margerine, egg, vanilla dn almond extract until creamy. Add sifter flour, soda and cream of tarter and mix until blended.

Let set in referator for about 2 hours. Roll and cur 1/4 thick. Bake at 350 degress for 7-8 minutes. I really watch the cookies and I tend to underbake which I think makes a softer cookie.

I make a icing with powdered sugar, butter, a little milk and 1 tsp. of almond extract. Frost after cookies are cooled.

Let me know how they turn out if you make them.

o

Found my other recipe. My mistake, it's made with Jiffy Mix not Bisquick.

2 cups Jiffy Mix
2/3 cups sugar
1/3 cup milk
5 Tbsp.soft shortening
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract

Roll into 1 1/2 inch balls and press slightly flat with a sugar covered glass.
Bake at 350 degress for 8-10 minutes.

Then just like the above cookies, I use icing made with powdered sugar, butter, a little milk and 1 tsp. of almond extract.

Karen

o

I went back to the market trying to find the cookies so I could "investigate them further" (read "scarf some down"). Not surprisingly, they were gone, as they only had one package for sale. I did find something similar. They were called "Lepp" cookies at the "Amish" bakery. I didn't like the icing--way too much so way too sweet. These photos were taken of the cookie sitting on my wallet in my car as I was on my way out of town for a reunion after my market stop. Are these what you were thinking of gals? Definately "cookie crack!" :) Kind of like the apple or pumpkin cookies--cakey. But plainer.

o

Whoa! Lpink, you are getting a warped idea of PA Dutch traditions, LOL! Lepp (or leb) cookies never never never have icing on them. They are quite plain, and often dipped into coffee. Like everything else, they used to be much better, but icing -- oh no.
I don't have a recipe. They have a subtle plainness, probably made with a bit of brown sugar.
The name obviously comes from Lebkuchen, but they are not anything we usually mean by that. People called them "leb cooka" when I was a kid, even people who had no PA Dutch in their speech.
I have to tell the people at market here what bizarre things are happening in the Lehigh Valley!

o

LOL CC! Thanks for helping me unravel this cookie mystery! I would have much preferred them plain, or maybe with a dab of orange cream cheese icing, but covered with that confection sugar glaze they were too too much for me. But I must confess they WERE great with my coffee! This is so interesting to me because when we were discussing lost foods from childhood in that other thread, I remembered my grandmother (who was Dutch, not PA Dutch/German), making a not-very-sweet large sugar cookie that she would dip in tea or coffee. I did not like them much as a child, and I don't have her recipe, but I think I would like them now and would like to try to make some. I'll have to Google Lebhuchen or leb cookies or lep cookies.

o
PA Dutch sugar cookie recipe

Oooh lookie what I found, a whole Web page devoted to the cookies you describe CC. Isn't the Internet wonderful! These sound more up my alley.

Here is a link that might be useful: PA Dutch soft sugar cookie recipe

o

Those look good, but they aren't leb cookies. Leb cookies are substantial, fairly heavy little cakes.

o

In the PA Dutch dialect, "leb" also means honey. Here's the recipe I use for Leb Cakes, which are actually big cookies sweetened with honey, great for dipping into coffee. Sometimes I add a little nutmeg to the recipe.

1 cup honey
2 Tbs. butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg yolk, beaten
1/4 cup buttermilk

Heat honey to boiling. Add it to the butter and light brown sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Cool 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, measure flour and sift with baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the honey mixture to the beaten egg yolk and then to the sifted dry ingredients. Add the buttermilk and mix well. Wrap dough and chill overnight.

Rollout on floured board to 1/3 inch thickness. Cut out with 3-inch round cutter. Bake 12 minutes at 350.

o

Thanks, Ruthanna! I will try these.
Do you think the ones from bakeries are made with honey? I wonder if they changed an older recipe, since they don't taste like honey.
How about AP cake? That's like a great big leb cookie, and it's made with brown sugar, right? I would love your recipe for that if you have one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here