Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I make salted toasted almonds?

Posted by laceyvail (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 6:01

I recently found several luscious sounding recipes that call for this. I've never seen it for sale around here. Surely there's a way to make salted toasted almonds at home.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I make salted toasted almonds?

Toss almonds in oil, then in salt, toast in oven or I'd use a toaster oven. But I'd be surprised if they weren't sold there, in the snack aisle.

o

Although the oil and salt method works well, you don't necessarily need the extra oil. BUT, without oil you have to wait and add the salt when they are hot out of the oven. Added oil essentially holds the salt onto the almonds.

Place a pound of raw almonds onto a rimmed sheet pan or cake pan (single layer of almonds) and bake in a 350-degree F oven for 10-15 minutes (stir once during baking time). Salt when they come out of the oven. The natural oil in almonds will help hold the salt when they are hot out of the oven.

I've included a link to a third method which includes soaking the almonds overnight in lightly-salted water. This method causes the almonds to begin sprouting which results in almonds that are easier to digest and have more available nutrition in them. This is the method I generally use.

Always nice to have choices....

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Soak & Roast Almonds

o

Does the recipe call for 'whole' almonds?
or 'slivered'? I'm wondering how one would
sliver them at home, other than a mandolin,
but that would be messy. But the slivered
almonds would be salted and roasted as
described above, but shouldn't take very
long. Would you share those 'luscious'
recipes?

o

I just spent over 1/2 hour typing in these two very elaborate and detailed recipes, and the damn site lost it. I'll try to get to it again some time but, at this point, I'm not making any promises.

o

Lacey, better to type the message in a Word document and then paste it here. However, if you use Firefox, it will often save what you have typed - just use the "undo" button. IE won't save anything.

I generally buy roasted almonds at Trader Joe's, but I've also made a version that uses soy or tamari sauce. Smoked almonds are my favorite, but I haven't made those either, although I do have a smoker now.

Lars

o

You can use a coffee grinder to turn salt into a fine powder, then in a jar shake the salt powder with toasted almonds vigorously.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here