SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkann

Minimum vinegar concentration for pickling/canning

bkann
9 years ago

Hi - This is my first year attempting canning with the hot-water-bath method. So far things have gone surprisingly well procedurally.

My question is for the pickled foods I'm trying to preserve, namely banana peppers and cucumber dill pickles. My experience in the past with refrigerator dills and also so far this year with 'real' canning tells me that I really don't like the taste when the vinegar content exceeds about 50% (that is, for example, 1c water for each cup 5% distilled vinegar).

Most recipes I've seen use anywhere from 60% to 100% of the mixture as distilled vinegar. The Ball Blue Book's 'Pickled Pepper Mix', for example, uses a 1:3 water:vinegar ratio.

I have seen recipes that go as low as 50%, but they have been few and far between, however... the ingredient list on a commercial jar of pickles or peppers would suggest that they're using less than 50% vinegar in the mix.

I understand that a certain level of acidification must be achieved for safety, and my question is: what is the minimum safe concentration of standard 5% vinegar for shelf storage of pickled items using the water bath canning method?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Comments (3)