SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

I mentioned in the other thread that I have a "Redneck" way of making a cheap but good vacuum. I am posting on a separate thread because I also want to comment on another topic.

One tool most people have, which seldom gets used is the tire pump.

If you don't have one, you better go get one. You never know when you may need it. You can buy a 12v car tire pump for less than $20.00. Inside you will find a piston compressor which pumps high pressure air to pump up your tire. This pump actually is also a vacuum pump.

Take the motor mechanism out from the plastic case. All you need to do is to epoxy a small tube to the tiny air intake hole, that's all you need to have a nice vacuum pump.

You will need to have a 12V DC battery to operate the pump. You can buy a 12v plug-in wall adapter or buy a small rechargeable 12 V battery.

The other way is to use an old car battery. I always tell people to keep an old car battery in the house. An old battery may not have enough power to crank a car to start, but it has plenty of power to light up a few LED lights for a few days during a power outage. It can even run your laptop for a while if you get a cheap inverter ($30.00). Why waste money buying candles and batteries for your flash light? The next time you replace a car battery, keep the old one. Give it a little charge once a month.

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: It Sucks

Comments (3)