SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Speaking Of Rice

John Liu
10 years ago

I would like to learn some interesting things to do with rice.

There are countless kinds of rice. I have only tried a few. Long grain white rice, short-grain white rice, long-grain brown rice, sweet aka sticky rice, black and red rices, and occasionally wild rice. What are your favorites, how about other types, why do you like them?

Rice can be cooked in a number of ways. Again, I have tried only a few. Boiling, frying and broiling (after boiling and drying), as soup e.g. congee, and as pudding e.g. risotto. I have never actually managed to sucessfully steam rice. I know sometimes rice is baked, and dcarch has talked about puffing it. Are there other cooking methods that you would recommend?

What are your favorite rice-based dishes? We discuss risotto periodically, but seems like rice otherwise doesn't get much attention. Do you make any dishes where rice takes center stage?

It is a food that I have grown up eating, but perhaps not very well. Standard Chinese cooking is pretty dull in its use of rice - bland, soft, and white. If I'm correct, most European cuisines don't do much with it either. I have the feeling that there is a world of interesting uses for rice that it would be well worth learning.

Comments (32)