Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gnocchi.... what to do with it??!!

Posted by starlightfarm (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 23:17

I purchased two packs of mini-gnocchis from my grocery store yesterday. Now... I have no idea what to do with them....I've never eaten them, but have always wanted to try them. (I know homemade is better.. but these were on sale and I wanted to try them before I went to the effort to make them myself).

What type of sauce do you put on them? I did a search on allrecipes.com and didn't come up with much.... other than using pesto sauce.

What's your favorite way to use gnocchi??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gnocchi.... what to do with it??!!

Just butter and fresh grated Parmesan is wonderful....but any sauce will be fine....as long as it's as auce you like.

o

We always ate them with Spaghetti Sauce and
sprinkled Parmesan.

They were nicknamed " Sinkers "

Lou

o

I like any type of cream sauce like an Alfredo or a light meatless tomato sauce like marinara, herbs and tomato or vodka sauce.

Also like sage butter sauce or butter with a selection of herbs like basil, parsley, rosemary ...whatever you like together.

o

I like them cooked then browned well in butter. I add sage while browning and Parmesan cheese when ready to eat.

o

This was on PBS TV yesterday:

Chef John Besh's Gnocchi, Crab, and Truffle

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: fancy gnocchi

o

This is a family favorite here.

Sandra Lee's Gnocchi gargonzola chicken **This is my changed rendition
1 pound potato gnocchi
1 pkg Knorr's three cheese sauce mix OR make your own
2 cups milk
3 garlic cloves jarred crushed not minced
6 ounces Gorgonzola crumbles
1 store-bought roasted chicken (approximately 2 pounds), shredded OR cook your own
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

To a large pot of boiling salted water, add gnocchi and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until they float to the surface. Drain and return to pot; cover to keep warm.
In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, whisk together white sauce mix and milk. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Reduce heat to simmer and add minced garlic and Gorgonzola crumbles. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally for 2 to 3 minutes as sauce thickens; remove from heat.

Add shredded chicken to gnocchi. Pour sauce over warm gnocchi and chicken, and toss to combine. Serve warm and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.

o

OMG, when I was served home-made gnocchis at our friends' Italian restaurant, I was amazed at how good they tasted. I've had them years ago and swore never again. I might try the store-bought ones. Really good with an easy Alfredo sauce.

o

I generally eat them with a nice marinara heavy on the basil and garlic, or even a bolognese. I also love them in an alfredo but I often make them with just butter, sour cream and some romano. I love gnocchi. I even make them from left over mashed potatoes.

o

I like them either in an olive oil, butter and sage sauce sprinkled with a little pepper or in a homemade spaghetti sauce. I don't really care for cream sauces of any type. NancyLouise

o

I like them in this recipe from Eating Well:

Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans

In this one-skillet supper, we toss dark leafy greens, diced tomatoes and white beans with gnocchi and top it all with gooey mozzarella. Serve with a mixed green salad with vinaigrette.

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 16-ounce package shelf-stable gnocchi, (see Tip)
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup water
6 cups chopped chard leaves, (about 1 small bunch) or spinach
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until plumped and starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.

Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, over medium heat, for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and water. Cover and cook until the onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Add chard (or spinach) and cook, stirring, until starting to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, beans and pepper and bring to a simmer. Stir in the gnocchi and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling, about 3 minutes.

Nutrition Per serving (serves 6)

325 Calories; 7 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 3 g Mono; 8 mg Cholesterol; 55 g Carbohydrates; 14 g Protein; 6 g Fiber; 616 mg Sodium; 360 mg Potassium

3 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat

Annie

o

Serve them with spaghetti sauce of your choice, plus some cheese (Parmesan, monterey jack, Wisconsin brick, or whatever), and maybe some Italian bread and a salad.

YUM!

Donna

o

Pesto, some good parmesan and a favorite bread. Perfect.

Kate

o

Here's a recipe based on a gnocchi dish I had in Rome and then replicated when I got home.
http://ergenzinger.hubpages.com/hub/Potato-Gnocchi-in-a-Gorgonzola-Cream-Sauce

o

I've eaten gnocchi in every way possible! As a base for Goulash, with browned butter and parmesan, with all kinds of pestos- you can't go wrong with gnocchi!

o

Just a last word - if you don't like the shop-bought ones, don't let that put you off. Home-made are so much better.

o

Usually with butter, sage and parm but oh my - with crab and truffle sounds heavenly! Thanks Dcarch!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here