Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big zucchini? Make candy!

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 23:15

In my family there is never too much zucchini. After we've made Zucchini Cinnamon Red Hot Pickles and Zucchini Sweet Relish and put zucchini in the dehydrator for this winter's soup and eaten parmesan zucchini chips and zucchini gratin to our heart's content, then what?

Makayla decided that we finally had "enough" zucchini, I have harvested 67 pounds of it so far this year, LOL. So, she decided to teach her cousin, Jamison, how to make zucchini candy. It tastes just like gummy worms, really, I promise.

First you peel lot of zucchini....

Cousins peeling zucchini photo IMG_1502-2.jpg

Nope, more than that. You need 20 cups of peeled and seeded zucchini, cut into julienne slices about 4 inches long. Keep peeling.....

Jamison & Makayla Zucchini Candy photo IMG_1501-2.jpg

Mix Koolaid, sugar, water and the zucchini and simmer for 25 minutes, then lay the strips on the dehydrator tray and dehydrate. After 14 hours, turn the strips and dehydrate some more, at least 4 hours. Then take them off the tray and roll them in sugar to keep them from sticking together. Be sure to NOT tell anyone it's zucchini, I've never had a single person guess the "secret ingredient". (grin)

Zucchini Candy photo IMG_1508.jpg

It really does taste like gummy worms and has that same chewy consistency. I'm not even going to pretend that it's healthy, with all that sugar, but the kids love the stuff. So, when life gives you zucchini, make gummy worms!

Annie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big zucchini? Make candy!

What?! That is hilarious. Looks great. And never knew about parm chips. (?!) I've got the crops coming full swing now. I've got some young sugar-a-holics at work and the gummy thing would be a big hit. Seems a good use for the hidden 'baseball bats' i keep finding.

o

Hilarious indeed, but what fun!

o

wow, I'm so impressed , what a discovery !!

do they keep a long time?

o

mitch, they do keep a long time, they don't usually last that long, but I've kept it a couple of months, unrefrigerated. The dehydration and the sugar apparently preserve it sufficiently for some storage.

pllog, the girls had as much fun with the peelers as they did making the candy, I think.

sleevendog, it's easy, but takes 18 to 24 hours in the dehydrator. Here, I'll post the recipe, it's from Linda Lou, a certified master canner over on Harvest.

Zucchini Candy
10 cups peeled diced zucchini 1/2 inch cubes ( I use "worms" about 3 inches long and 1/12 inch thick and wide. The little dice would be good in muffins, though.
3 cups water
2 pkgs. unsweetened Koolaid
2 1/2 cups sugar
Peel zucchini,
diced, removing seeds. Mix the liquid syrup together. Add zucchini. Bring to a boil and them simmer for 25 min. Drain. Put on dehydrator trays. Dry 14 hours at 125 degrees. Turn pieces over and dry another 4 hours. This will feel dry and not sticky when done. Store in jars or other tightly sealed containers.If you dip in sugar when you turn them, they will be more like "gum drops" on the outside.
You can do the same thing with the zucchini but use 48 oz. pineapple juice

2 T. pineapple extract
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice

Now make candy! Here are some mixed flavors I made a couple of years ago...

photo IMG_5967.jpg

Annie

o

Terrific! My daughter would love this for BeauLily and they would enjoy making it.

Thanks ladies, you are a great source for fun recipes.

o

Cathy, you should definitely try this with Beaulily. All the kids in the family love giving a piece to people and making them guess what it is. No one has ever guessed that it is zucchini. I've convinced myself (almost) that since I drain the syrup off the zucchini and discard it, there isn't that much sugar. Yeah. THat's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Annie

o

yup grandma it does taste like gummy worms so now when I go to your house and you say eat your veggies I will because I will the gummy worms because there made of ZUCCHINI!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here