Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Now For The Real Test

Posted by moonwolf (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 22:23

Hi everyone,

This Sunday afternoon, I'll be going to the cast party at my local theatre and have decided to make Pink Lady Cake for the occasion. This time, I'll put strawberries on top of the Cool Whip. I'm thinking of leaving them unhulled/capped. I made the cake today, but it's not frosted yet. I'm waiting until Sunday until I frost the cake.

I haven't decided yet but I might make a batch of my gram's lemonade to take along as well. I have been meaning for them to taste my cooking for a little while. Now I think they'll love me a little even more lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Now For The Real Test

Sounds great, Brad. What's the show?
I am direction the fall play at our Community Theatre....The Mousetrap by Agatha Christie. Wish you were close enough to bake a cake for our cast party!
Linda C

o

Hi Linda C,

The show is "Generations of Broadway", which is a concert featuring several Playhouse cast and crew singing songs of different Broadway musicals. Sunday's the last day of it and the party is afterwards. I am not performing in it and if you heard my singing, you'd know why lol. I am just a volunteer there, doing whatever they ask me to.

I have heard of that play, but I've never seen it. After this production, we'll have two more shows for the season. Moon Over Buffalo is up next then it'll be A Christmas Carol for the holidays.

Would you like the recipe, Linda? I'd be more than happy to share it again :-).

Our local theatre is small, it only houses 77 or so audience members. It's an old church and they've been putting on shows for 30 years.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

I long to direct Moon Over Buffalo.....it's a great show!...but can't find anyone to do that revolving set.
No need to send the recipe...if I direct the show, I have no time to make a cake!!

o

I have never seen Moon Over Buffalo. But I will this fall.
As for the recipe, just thought I'd ask! This recipe I shared before and it made everyone's mouth water. Ooh I can't wait until Sunday!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Hi Brad, to make the strawberries look really speccy, if you like, warm some red jam (strawberry for preference) and thin with a tiny bit of water if it doesn't get runny. Brush the strawberries with a thin layer of warmed jam before placing on top of your cake. They will look really shiny and red and keep better.

o

Hi Brad, to make the strawberries look really speccy, if you like, warm some red jam (strawberry for preference) and thin with a tiny bit of water if it doesn't get runny. Brush the strawberries with a thin layer of warmed jam before placing on top of your cake. They will look really shiny and red and keep better.

o

I'd rethink leaving the strawberries unhulled/capped. To me that's kind of like leaving the tails on shrimp: IMO if it's meant to be finger food, great. If not, don't make it fussy to eat.

But I'm sure it'll be a hit either way. Have fun!

o

Oh, I like leaving the hulls on, it adds that little touch decoratively IMO, but only if the hulls are fresh and green.

o

Thank you, colleenoz and foodonastump!

I think what I'll do is if the caps are fresh and green, I'll leave them on, if not, off they go! I'll have to remember the jam "polish" for the strawberries for future projects :-).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Here it is! All set to go! :-) I wonder if I'll bring any leftovers home lol.

Photobucket

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Nope, you won't bring any leftovers home and they will ask you to volunteer all the time now!

I was a volunteer when my girls were in "annie", my job was to keep all the orphans where they were supposed to be. At the end they gve me a tshirt that said "Orphan Goddess" on it, LOL.

It was lots of fun, but no one baked us a cake! We should have aksed you.

Annie

o

Brad, I don't need your cake and lemonade to like you. I already do.

o

I just want to steal one of those strawberries SO BAD! :)

o

Well, I'm back and what a blast it was today! After the show we went out to one of the other volunteer's house and it was just so much fun :D. The verdict on the cake and lemonade: They LOVED it! I do have few slices left, anybody want one? ;)

Annie, I'd be happy to bake a cake for you or any of you folks here on the forum ;).

pink warm mama 1, aww thank you! lol I was joking about them liking me even more. Anytime I spend with them, I feel like I'm with family :).

lpinkmountain, these strawberries came from Wal-Mart, but oh my gosh are they ever good!

Oh and the lemonade recipe I have down to an exact science. For a gallon, it's three lemons and 1 1/2 cups of sugar.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Well, I'm back and what a blast it was today! After the show we went out to one of the other volunteer's house and it was just so much fun :D. The verdict on the cake and lemonade: They LOVED it! I do have few slices left, anybody want one? ;)

Annie, I'd be happy to bake a cake for you or any of you folks here on the forum ;).

pink warm mama 1, aww thank you! lol I was joking about them liking me even more. Anytime I spend with them, I feel like I'm with family :).

lpinkmountain, these strawberries came from Wal-Mart, but oh my gosh are they ever good!

Oh and the lemonade recipe I have down to an exact science. For a gallon, it's three lemons and 1 1/2 cups of sugar.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

I like you to Brad, but, I won't turn down some cake and lemonade! :D

o

Thank you, cynic! I like you all! :) It's funny, I still have some cake left and I think today's a good day to eat a slice in honor of Julia Child's 100th birthday.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Annie, talking about Orphan Goddess:

A few years back our community theater did 'Wizard of Oz'. I helped backstage doing odds and ends. We had a couple of women whose job was to keep the Munchkins occupied so they got on stage on time and were not wreaking havoc when they were off stage. How to list these volunteers in the program?

I suggested 'Munchkin Wranglers', and that's how they were referred to in the program.

o

LOL!! Love it Arley!!
I am directing our Community Theaters fall production of Mousetrap...Have directed 9 or 10 productions there....I don't do Munchkins!!...nor orphans LOL!
I directed Amahl in another venue and that about did me in!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here