SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mudlady_gw

Gluten free cooking.

mudlady_gw
14 years ago

Is anyone here familiar with a gluten free diet? I don't have terrible GI symptoms, my mail complaint is very severe muscle pain and spasms accompanied by complete exhaustion following very little exertion. I have been to four doctors because each one does a different test and I test positive to one thing or another. I was told today that my most recent tests point to Celiac Disease. The only treatment is a gluten free diet---yuck! The office nurse called me today and gave me the test results and said the doctor wants me to try to follow this diet until my next appointment on September 1. My local Wegmna's carries some special food that is gluten free and killer expensive. I think the major thing I will buy there is flour that is gluten free. That means no wheat, barley or rye, and I am cautioned to also avoid oats because they are often contaminated with wheat at the processing plants. I bought the Dummy book about cooking gluten free and if I want any baked goods I will have to learn to cook them from rice, quinoa, potatoes,corn, tapioca, sorghum, soy, and some other weird flours.

I have tested "false positive" to other maladies in the past and right now I don't really believe I AM gluten intolerant. IF I really am I will hook up with support groups online and ask for cooking information. I am just wondering if any members here have to cook gluten free.

Comments (22)