SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloud_swift

What size food processor for me?

Cloud Swift
15 years ago

I thought about hijacking amck's post but it seemed too much off topic. I find my mini-food processor (a 21-oz capacity Cuisinart) so handy that I've been thinking about getting a full-size model. The problem is that I look at the 7 cup, 9 cup ... up to almost as many cups as my mini handles ounces and can't decide which one would be best for me.

We have the Zorjirushi bread machine (two-paddle two-pound loaf model) and a 6-quart Kitchen Aid mixer which I use when doing a dough that's too large for the bread machine so I don't particularly care about how the food processor handles bread dough.

I'm tired of making pie and biscuit dough by cutting in butter with the hand blender. I'd like one that works well for doughs where the butter is cut in. And while I have the shredder slicer for the KA stand mixer, it doesn't work that great - a big flat piece sometimes eludes the blade and comes out the side. And the height makes it a pain - a) to reach since I'm short and b) I have to find a way to prop up the bowl because if it sits on the counter things fall too far and splash. It has to be a really big job to be worth hauling it out since it is such a mess. So I'd like something that cuts and shreds nicely.

While I'm drawn to the biggest ones, a little voice tells me that its overkill for making pie dough and most shredding-slicing I'd use it for. I've already got enough appliances on the counter so a smaller, less heavy model might get pulled out to be used more often.

What size would be best?

Comments (19)