Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can you do with melon rind?

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 20:37

I read somewhere on here that it is good in stir fries. As a kid my mom made watermelon pickle, but I was wondering if there were more uses.

I have a big yellow cantaloupe that has a lot of white rind: seems like a shame to waste it. And, do you keep the peel, or cut that off? I washed it very well with soap before cutting it up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can you do with melon rind?

Don't know about cantaloupe rinds, but remember my Grandmother making watermelon pickles. ALL of the green was pared off outside. Pretty much just white part. Cooked in a sugar syrup with... vinegar and stuff??? other stuff. Think I'm gonna google some recipes before I buy next watermelon.

o

Compost it???

o

You can also chunk it up, put it on a plate and place it in your garden to feed the butterflies. the same for any too ripe fruit.

o

I have an 8 month Aussie pup who thinks the garden and compost pile is snackville. She'd chew the melon rinds right along with the orange peels, eggshells, cherry tomatoes, dropped pears and summer squash.

She's more of a pest than the deer and the rabbits lol.

seagrass

o

I have an 8 month Aussie pup who thinks the garden and compost pile is snackville. She'd chew the melon rinds right along with the orange peels, eggshells, cherry tomatoes, dropped pears and summer squash.

She's more of a pest than the deer and the rabbits lol.

seagrass

o

AWWWWW. . . Seagrass, could you post a picture???
Please, Please, Please???
I love animals more than life itself, and your
Aussie sounds like such an adorable creature.
Please ?

o

Melon rinds are delicious. I have posted many using watermelon rinds.

I also enjoy Honeydew and Cantaloupe rinds.

I often look for melons which are not very ripe for cooking. You do need to peel of the thin skin first. The skin can be tough.

Dcarch

Cantaloupe with Chicken.
Honeydew with oyster mushrooms

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

My worms in the worm farms love melon skins.

o

If a cantelope has a lot of white next to the rind...it's not ripe. I have a little bit left of the most wonderful melon....orange right to the tough rind.

I can't find any flavor to water melon rind....unless you make watermelon pickles....and then it absorbs that wonderful sweet/sour spicy flavor!...I must make some this summer!

It hurts me to toss watermelon rind, but if the melon is good and ripe, there's not much left on the skin....and I rarely have anything left of a musk melon or a honey dew but the skin.

o

Oh, those photos look SO tasty! Dcarch, it must have been your recipes I saw. Thanks!

I misspoke when I said cantelope. It is a golden honeydew, which has flesh that is mostly white to begin with.

o

I'm going to sound like a crank, but I eat foods for their flavour. I won't use bland melon rinds and season it up to make it palatable. I feed those scraps to my compost bin, so none of it goes to waste.

o

Posted by Donna.in.Sask "I'm going to sound like a crank, but I eat foods for their flavour. I won't use bland melon rinds and season it up to make it palatable. ---"

I would not say I totally disagree with you. Melon rinds happen to have a lot of nutrition and flavor and can pair well with other foods.

Also, texture is important in the eating experience. For instance, Iceberg lettuce has not much taste, and risotto rice has 0 taste.

dcarch

o

Texture is one of the elements I really enjoy in asian cooking. Water chestnuts don't have much flavor either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here