Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question regarding freezing muffins!

Posted by trixietx (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 20:25

I am helping with a wedding shower on Sept. 15th. and I will be out of town. I was asked to bring miniature muffins or cookies, it is a morning shower and brunch type finger foods will be served. My question is if I make a streusel topped muffin, will the topping get all soggy from freezing. My first thought was to make Sol's dirt bombs, but I don't know if they will freeze well. I make and freeze blueberry muffins all the time, but someone else is bringing blueberry. Or do you have a good muffin or cookie recipe that freezes well. I will have to make it today or tomorro, freeze and take to another hostess to deliver to the shower.

I wish I could fix something savory, sausage balls, sausage pinwheels or mini quiches, but that is already covered. I know they freeze well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question regarding freezing muffins!

Bran muffins freeze great. As do my sour-cream and pineapple muffins. Morning glory muffins, with carrot, raisins, apple, coconut.

o

I make cranberry nut muffins and chocolate chip muffins, based on a blueberry muffin recipe by Joanne Chang. The recipe is linked below. She has a bakery (actually 2 or 3) called Flour in Boston, and has a cookbook of the same name. The recipe is also in Flour, the cookbook.

This has become my go-to recipe for muffins since I first made a batch about 3 years ago. They freeze beautifully. I make batches of these when I find fresh cranberries. If they can be reheated in an oven (NOT a microwave) before serving, they will be nicely crusty with good moist crumb.

Cheryl

Here is a link that might be useful: Joanne Chang's blueberry muffin recipe

o

Jasdip, would you please post your sour cream and pineapple muffin recipe, that sounds good.
Jadeite, cranberry nut muffins, sounds good also. What kind of nuts do you put in them? I may just have to do two recipes.

Thank you both so much!

o

Many muffins freeze well and some things can be baked into muffins that aren't actually muffins at all. I've made banan bread and pumpkin bread in muffin cups, as well as brownies.

Apple spice muffins freeze nicely, as do lemon muffins and I make a bran muffin baked with a spoonful of jam in the middle. Corn muffins freeze nicely and can be sweet or savory.

Congratulations to the bride!

Annie

o

Trixie - I like pecans for the cranberry nut muffins. They have a rich sweetness which contrasts with the tart berries.

Cheryl

o

The thing is with mini muffins, things you put in them ought to be small...or they take up too much of the muffin...or ther is only one or 2 pieces per muffin.
I got raves on this muffin....sorry I don't know where I got the recipe.

Taste-testers have deemed this the best muffin ever! They are moist and delicious with a touch of spice from the cinnamon and nutmeg with the awesome flavor from the espresso coffee shining through. Great for brunch, dessert, or snacks, and they also freeze well.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:
� 2 cups all-purpose flour
� 1/2 cup sugar
� 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
� 2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder (or instant coffee)
� 1/2 teaspoon salt
� 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
� 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
� 1 cup whole milk
� 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
� 1 egg, slightly beaten
� 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
� 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate mini-chips
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin tins with papers or grease liberally.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, espresso or instant coffee, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix milk, butter, egg, and vanilla until combined. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture only until combined. Do not overmix. Fold in chocolate chips.

Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake 15 to 20 minutes for standard muffins, 10 to 12 minutes for mini-muffins.

Cappuccino muffins freeze well.

Yield: 12 muffins or about 48 mini-muffins

LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFINS
1/4 c. butter
1 lg. egg
2 c. flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. poppy seeds
1 c. milk
1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 2 1/2 inch muffin pan cups.
Whisk wet ingredients together in medium bowl. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Stir wet ingredients just until combined. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups filling each about 3/4 full. Bake 20-22 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove and serve warm.
For mini muffins, bake 10 to 12 minutes�.makes about 40.
L

o

Well, I was just browsing the back pages and came across this post. I just realized now that I hadn't given Trixie the recipe for my muffins as she had requested. I hate not answering people's requests!!

Here it is Trix!

Sour Cream-Pineapple Muffins
(Recipe is easily doubled)

1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup butter (soft)
1 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp almond flavouring
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup well-drained, crushed pineapple

Combine sugar, egg, soft butter, sour cream and almond flavouring into a bowl and beat.

Add cream mixture to combined dry ingredients and stir until moistened. Fold in pineapple to mix.

Fill greased muffin tin and bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.

o

Thank you so much, all of you! If I wasn't heading out of town for a few days, I would be baking muffins!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here