Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pick and Peel Shrimp - what do you do?

Posted by earthlydelights (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 07 at 20:00

I don't want Old Bay, so that's out of the question.
Not interested in just steaming, want the shrimp to have some incredible flavor. Not too spicey, not too weak - just right.

What do you do and will your share?

Thanks
Maryanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pick and Peel Shrimp - what do you do?

I just steam then with either a little vinegar in the water or the rind of 1/2 a lemon.
Sometimes I will toss in a crushed bay leaf and 1/2 tsp mustard seed and a teaspoon of crushed red pepper and 1/2 tsp or so dried thyme...pretty much what is in commercial shrimp boil....but I like shrimp just as simple and as honest as possible....if it's good and fresh!
Linda C

o

This is what I do and it's incredible:

1 lb shrimp, shell on
5 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1/4 Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt / Pepper / Red Pepper Flakes

Put all in a zip lock bag and let marinate for a couple of hours.

Then pour entire contents into a saute pan and cook until shrimp are pink. Peel n Eat!

Better have some bread to get those yummy juices!

o

I like them marinated in olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, ginger and a little Thai red curry paste; just be careful or you may end up with it too hot!

o

I'm probably the odd man out here but I always peel shrimp, usually leaving on the tail, and remove the vein before cooking. I hate peeling shrimp after they are cooked. I grilled some the other day that had been rubbed with fresh garlic paste, hot red pepper flakes, fresh squeezed lime and olive oil for about 30 minutes prior to putting them on the grill.

o

thanks everyone.

marigene, your idea sound most excellent. i think i will go for that one and heed your advice on the paste.

shaun, i've done something similar to your suggestion and then add a little beer.

ann, i saw your shrimp on the virtual dinner thread. they looked mighty tasty.

normally i would peel the shrimp if i was skewering it or if it was just a pound or so, but it's going to be way more than that and i already have more than enough to do.

thanks again
maryanne

o

Hi Maryanne,

My dh often requests this one:

CINDY MAC'S Louisiana BBQ Shrimp
1 1 1/2 lbs. large shrimp
1 stick butter, melted
3 tablespoons Worcestershire
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
2 teaspoons fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon olive oil
DEHEAD shrimp if necessary, but don't peel. Place in a shallow dish (I use a pie pan). Mix remaining ingredients together and pour over shrimp. Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 2-3 hours. BAKE in preheated 350 degree oven uncovered for 15-20 minutes. Serve with French bread to sop up all the wonderful juices.

o

maggie, they sound excellent as well.

since i'll have 6 or more pounds of shrimp, i'll have to split the batches between this recipe and marigene's.

thanks so much!
maryanne

o

I've got a really good, basic, grilled shrimp recipe at home. I think it's just olive oil, S&P, crushed pepper.

If you want to do shrimp cocktail, I also have a recipe from Food & Wine that has you poach the shrimp, shell-on, in white wine and a few spices. It really makes a difference - people have commented on the quality of the shrimp without knowing what I did.

Let me know if you're interested in either, and I'll post tonight.

o

fenworth, thank you - i would love to have that recipe.

maryanne

o

Just want to second Cindy Mac's recipe, it is delicious. At first I was a bit uncertain re the amount of Worcestershire but it's just perfect and a great crowd dish.

o

Oh, and I'll "third" that recipe, Sharon! Cindy's Louisiana BBQ Shrimp are SOOOOO good!

Linda

o

I'm fourthing Cindy Mac's BBQ Shrimp!

o

You're not out Ann, I too like to peel the shrimp prior to cooking. It just takes too darn much time and I am usually too hungry to peel as I eat.

I usually flavor with nothing except maybe a little bit of lemon in the water for steaming. I guess I'm like Linda and like the true taste of just the shrimp. Steaming the shrimp with wine a la fenworth sounds like something I would like!

Michelle

o

years ago, in a restaurant in Atlanta I had the best shrimp I have ever eaten: Steamed, herb-buttered shrimp. I have tried to replicate it, but it never comes close. I'm reading every recipe posted, hoping I'll find the recipe.

o

Have you made anything yet, Maryanne?

o

marigene, not yet. collecting recipes for a weekend party and want to make sure i have everything on hand. i am going to try two or three of the recipes so there is a selection/variety. i am going to hit the asian market tomorrow or thursday to get some thai red curry paste, which i do not have on hand.

fen is going to (hopefully) post another recipe.

maryanne

o

Well I'm really sad because I can't find the poached shrimp recipe; I can "see" it and it's in a mag I must have tossed. But this sounds extremely close to what I remember. From Cooks Illustrated. I'll have to try it myself - the interesting part is making stock with the shells rather than cooking them in shells:

1 pound large shrimp (16 to 20 count), peeled, deveined, and rinsed, shells reserved
1 teaspoon table salt
1 cup dry white wine
4 peppercorns
5 coriander seeds
1/2 bay leaf
5 sprigs fresh parsley leaves
1 sprig fresh tarragon leaves
1 teaspoon lemon juice from 1 small lemon

1. Bring reserved shells, 3 cups water, and salt to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until fragrant, about 20 minutes. Strain stock through sieve, pressing on shells to extract all liquid.
2. Bring stock and remaining ingredients except shrimp to boil in 3- or 4-quart saucepan over high heat; boil 2 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in shrimp; cover and let stand until firm and pink, about 8-10 minutes. Drain shrimp, reserving stock for another use. Plunge shrimp into ice water to stop cooking, then drain again. Serve shrimp chilled with cocktail sauce.

And the grilled shrimp I absolutely love - haven't made it in a while so it's more involved than I remember. But brining then marinating really makes it great.

ingredients
1 quart water
1/3 cup salt
1/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1 1/2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, unpeeled

1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons dry white wine
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

Roasted Garlic-Herb Sauce (you can get the link from Epicurious.com - I made it the first time and thought nothing of it. The shrimp are delicious by themselves.)

preparation
Stir first 3 ingredients in medium bowl until sugar dissolves. Add shrimp. Refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours. Drain and rinse shrimp.

Using shears, cut shrimp shells down center of back all the way to tail section. Using sharp knife, cut shrimp in their shells along the full length of the back (do not cut all the way through). Remove vein and pull off legs. Open shrimp.

Whisk olive oil, white wine, garlic, parsley, and crushed red pepper in clean medium bowl. Add shrimp and stir; let stand 30 minutes.

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Place shrimp, flesh side down, on grill. Grill shrimp until pink and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to platter and serve, passing Roasted Garlic-Herb Sauce separately.

Bon Apptit, July 2001

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here