Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beef or Pork Crock Pot Recipes

Posted by blueiris24 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 19:57

I don't eat red meat (beef or pork) so won't cook it. I've told my family they are welcome to cook it but 9 times out of 10 that doesn't happen. I'd like to have a couple options of recipes I could make them in the crock pot on nights I'm not eating dinner with them -- for teenagers and adults. If I can just "dump it in" I think I could handle that. Any help is appreciated. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beef or Pork Crock Pot Recipes

I love putting a chuck roast in crock pot (in the morning) with nothing but about a 1/2 cup of water and cooking on low all day. it is falling apart and delicious by dinner. I also do the same thing with roast pork and then pull apart for pulled pork with bbq sauce.

o

I agree with the chuck roast. Except with ours, we add sliced carrots (1 lb. bag) and sliced onion (1 medium). You place the sliced carrots on the bottom of the crock pot, brown/sear the roast in a frying pan, add that to the crock pot, then top with onion and add water and place on high for 15 minutes, then change to low for overnight. It cooks overnight and it's lunch the next day and you have the broth to make gravy for mashed potatoes :-).

I just posted a recipe for Swiss Steak in the Crock Pot. That turned out to be a keeper too :).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

My chuck roast has a sliced onion and a bunch of crushed garlic and a cup of red wine. Dredge the chuck with seasoned flour and brown in a frying pan first, but you can do without it. Makes wonderful french-dip-style sandwiches.

o

Could you handle searing/browning? Another chuck or pot roast: brown, put a couple of tablespoons of water in the crock pot, followed by the roast. Sprinkle an envelope of spaghetti sauce seasoning over, then pour on a can of crushed tomatoes with their juice. Cook on low 6-9 hours. Makes a great Italian style pot roast with a flavorful (if slightly thin) sauce for pasta.

o

This is easy and yummy. Leftovers freeze well.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Crockpot Italian Beef

Recipe By :Linda in MO, RecipeCircus
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef Crockpot

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 lb. chuck or rump roast -- trimmed of fat (3
to 4)
1 package dry Good Seasons Italian salad dressing -- zesty or the regular
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/2 a 16 oz. jar pepperoncini peppers -- including juice (or more to taste)
1 can beef broth
fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, etc. -- optional
favorite cheese (cheddar, colby/jack,mozzarella, provolone, etc.)
kaiser rolls

Mix all ingredients together in a slow cooker or crockpot. Cook all day on low (or #3 in a slow cooker).

When meat is done, shred it and put back in its juices.

Serve on warm kaiser buns (toast if desired). Top with favorite cheese--cheddar, colby/jack, mozzarella/cheddar, etc. Warm in the microwave if cheese needs to be melted.

Can also top with sauteed onions, green peppers, and mushrooms if desired.

NOTES : This is a very forgiving recipe. If roast is large add another pkg. of Italian salad dressing mix and more beef broth. I usually use about a 3 lb. roast. Using more broth will leave you with more juices to dip your sandwich in. You can use less peppers, too.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

o

This is one of our favourite slow-cooked pork recipes. I've given the recipe to friends, and posted it here and at another forum before, and everyone that has tried it, loves it.

It calls for marinating the roast overnight, but I'm not exactly sure that it's necessary.

Slow-Cooker Sesame Pork Roast

1 (4 pound) boneless pork shoulder roast, trimmed
2 cups water
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup cider or white vinegar
4 green onions, sliced
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water

Cut roast in half; place in large resealable plastic bag or glass dish.

In a bowl, combine the water, soy sauce, sesame seeds, molasses, vinegar, onions, garlic powder and cayenne. Pour half over the roast, marinate overnight. Reserve remaining marinade.

Drain pork, discarding marinade. Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add the reserved marinade. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce temperature to low; cook 8-9 hours longer or until meat is tender.

Remove the roast and keep warm. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir in cooking juices. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Serve with the roast.

o

One of our our favorite family meals growing up was crock pot bbq.
Mom cooked a pork loin and a sliced onion - she said the other cuts were too fatty- all day in a crock pot on low and during the last hour added bbq sauce. We ate that on hamburger buns.

Since I turned foodie, there's a lot about that recipe I don't like but there's no denying it was good, easy and very popular in our household.

o

Dear Blueiris24, I'm curious as to what motivates you to
be 'anti-red meat'. After all, it's not red when it's
been cooked, (unless you eat it rare). Do you eat poultry and fish? I'm guessing you are a borderline vegetarian?

Personally, I don't like any kind of meat because I don't like the idea of a beautiful animal being slaughtered to feed me, (and ALL animals are beautiful), but, for some reason, I love meat . . . I can't help it.

I don't mean to pry, but is this dislike of red meat
something that has been with you all your life?

Sorry to go 'on-and-on', but this subject fascinates me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here