SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wizardnm

Whats for Dinner - #312

wizardnm
13 years ago

It was hot here today so I made spring rolls for dinner tonight.

What did you make?

Nancy

Comments (100)

• foodonastump
    13 years ago

Lou - Good to see you're still eating in between spending time with that cute smiley baby!

Ruthana - Your veal is jumping out at me. What would you call that, Schnitzel Piccata? I've never seen a piccata recipe breaded, but that sure looks good. Wiener Schnitzel has been part of my regular rotation; I might just have to try "piccatarizing" it one of these times!

• ann_t
    13 years ago

Ruthanna, is that a lemon piccata sauce on your schnitzel?

That grilled ham looks great. Now you have given me a craving for ham.

Ann

• Related Discussions

Question: Palms, Cacti and others with 3-1-2

Q

Comments (8)
    Many growers tell you they 'like a low N formula for plant x and that 3:1:2 ratio fertilizers supply too much N to make X happy. So who/what controls how much N a plant gets? Is it the numbers on the box or the hand of the grower? The later, undoubtedly. To SAY you're feeding a plant a low N diet is something not many actually DO. If you're fertilizing, you usually decide when your plant NEEDS fertilizer based on how green to yellow the green parts are. When your plants start looking chlorotic, out comes the fertilizer to green em back up; so, in the end, some growers are using a fertilizer lower in N than those of us using 3:1:2 ratios, but since they use the plant's state of 'green vibrancy' as a guide, they're applying the same amount of N as we are. So what does that mean? It means that because you can't supply enough N w/o over-supplying P and K, you're creating toxicities of P and K so you can say you can pooh pooh 3:1:2 ratio fertilizers and fool yourself into believing you're supplying less N because of a low N ratio. Hey - you know it's true ....... if growers will supply massive overdoses of Mg (Epsom salts) and Fe (iron supplements/chelates) to turn their plants green, you KNOW they're not going to use the restraint you need to have if you're going to keep your plants perpetually in want of more N. Al
    ...See More

Wheelhorse 312-8 front end idler part #'s?

Q

Comments (4)
    Major mis-information!!! I hope someone reading my post above continues to this one... I went to the Toro dealer today to pickup my ilder pulleys and found that the Toro person on the phone screwed up! Part 7451 is the pulley on the deck, not the idler out at the front of the tractor. I was very specific in describing the part I was after but the person on the other end of the phone was not reliable. Part 7451 is indeed about $13, but the idlers for the front of the tractor that redirect the mower drive belt from the PTO back to the deck pulley (did not get Toro part number from dealer today) were $27 each! Not only was my v idler shot but the square idler was on its way, so I had to buy both. The belt had seen better days so I bought a new one. The belt was $25 and I was about $88 lighter on the way out the door. Ouch. But, I got home, installed the new idlers and belt and she sounds so much better. My wife deemed it worth the money. The old v idler was really screamin. I would love to get another 20 years out of this machine it is certainly built solid and the parts are available. Hopefully I don't need them to frequently!
    ...See More

312 tire size

Q

Comments (1)
    dot
    ...See More

$3.12 the lowest around here. How much is gasoline in your area?

Q

Comments (31)
    I paid $3.53 a gallon yesterday. I never "fill up" anymore. I always use cash and buy $10 or $20 worth of gas at a time. I have a Honda Civic Hybrid so I only buy gas every couple of weeks. I used to drive 40 miles back and forth to work. Since retiring and buying the hybrid I'm doing much better.I do try to schedule any driving errands together. I'll go out to grocery shop, post office and library all on one trip.
    ...See More
  • ruthanna_gw
    13 years ago

No, itÂs not a sauce on the veal. ItÂs one of my favorite condiments  a flavored butter. The veal is breaded and fried as usual for a schnitzel but they top it with a couple of pats of lemon-caper butter, which are still melting when the plate is delivered. I think they went a little overboard on it this time because the butter ended up puddling in the bottom of the plate and made the underside of the breading a bit soggy by the time I was finished. It appears to be just butter with capers, chopped parsley, lemon rind and lemon juice without garlic or white wine used in most piccatas. They've served it this way for at least the 30 or so years we've been going there.

Ann, I saved the sauce from cooking the spiced tomatoes (recipe above) and used it to baste the ham steak while it was grilling. It was just the right amount of spice.

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Okay so Ruthanna has inspired several of my meals over the last few days. One morning we had french toast (with Peach Brown Sugar and Rum jam) and another night we had schnitzel. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make a caper butter for my serving - oh wow was that good!

Tonight was a Lobster Risotto that was really good and I will post the recipe on the New Recipe thread. Along side and not photo worthy were garlic bread, spinach salad, and a lovely Pinot Grigio.

{{gwi:1554660}}

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Some really excellent food is being cooked.

Alexa, that Lobster Risotto looks and sounds decadent, I'd love some.
    Like most, we've been enjoying our share of good old BLT's and fresh sweet corn and fresh green beans. We've been grilling steaks and the usual summer fare.
    I've also been experimenting with some new ideas.

A couple of weeks ago I made Shu Mai (steamed pork and shrimp)...forgive me if I already posted this picture but I don't think I did. We loved this. I've had it at a dim sum restaurant but never made them at home. I will from now on.

I also was in the mood for a Coconut Buttermilk Pie this past Thrusday....

Because we enjoyed the Shu Mai so much, I couldn't resist trying a recipe from the New York Times for Shu Mai-Style Burgers. Another keeper for us.

At the meat market they had beef that was labeled Carne Asada...never one to pass up something new, I bought it.
    Tonight we had Carne Asada for dinner.

I marinaded the meat in a mojo sauce, yummy.

Nancy

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Yum, flavored butter. Ruthanna, your tomato/basil butter remains one of my favorite seasonings.

Alexa, is that the infamous "2 quarts of cream" risotto? Dang, I just love lobster.

No lobster here, though we did have seafood last night, a mix of scallops, mussels, shrimp and stuffed flounderm with half of a huge sweet potato:

You can't see it, but on the side we had slices of this, something called Big Rainbow. Isn't it pretty? It was good, but not amazing. (shrug)

Elery had talked about one of his favorite childhood treats, something called "fried pies". I had a bushel of perfect, sweet and delicious red Haven peaches so I didn't even add sugar, just fresh peaches in pastry:

I used SharonCB's Nathan;s Never Fail pastry and while they were hot from the oil they were flakey, tender and delicious, sprinkles with a litle powdered sugar:

today I went to a bridal shower for Amanda, given by David's cousin Liz. They had ham sandwiches, green jello salad, potato salad and cake and it wa small, maybe a dozen people. While I was gone, Elery made dinner, moussaka:

We used eggplant from the garden along with my homegrown ground beef. It was good, but I found myself picking the eggplant slices out and eating them, leaving the sauce. It was all good, though, because Cooper loved the sauce!

Annie

• ann_t
    13 years ago

OH MY ALEXA!!!! Could anything look better than your Lobster Risotto? Somehow I doubt it. So creamy and rich. I can almost taste it.

Nancy, your Shu Mai look perfect. But it is the pie that I want.

Annie, Elery's Moussaka looks delicious. Reminds me that I haven't made Moussaka in quite a while.

Ann

• jimster
    13 years ago

I've been seeking inspiration for a birthday dinner for my daughter.

Chicken piccata was the answer...

...until I saw the lobster risotto.

But then I saw the shu mai. That would be good made with lobster too, wouldn't it? So that settled it,,,

...until the seafood medley came along, reminding me that I haven't made bouillabaisse in too long a time. IIRC, my daughter loves it.

Dessert could be butter milk pie. I've never had it, have been wanting to try it, and I have a recipe from a reliable source.

But, the same could be said for fried pies. And that photo is so compelling.

You've left me in a quandary, folks.

Jim

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

I haven't posted on this thread for quite some time. Mostly because my meals of late have not been anything special and certainly not worthy of sharing! That, and the fact that I am trying to shed a few pounds....this thread can sabotage weight loss efforts faster than anything else I know of! LOL

But I did have to share this with you all. Last weekend on my way to take my friend to the airport to catch a flight home, we had some time to kill. So we went to St. Paul and had lunch.

The special was Ivory Salmon on bed of lightly sauteed summer squash, spinach and grape tomatoes then topped with a dill butter. That was what I ordered and I could not believe something so simple could be so delicious!

I had never had Ivory Salmon before. It is a white fleshed salmon and the flavor is light and buttery...YUM!

Today I tried to duplicate the dish for lunch and I must say, even tho I used pink salmon, it was fabulous!

(you can click on image to enlarge...)

I'll definitely be making this often! And so healthy, too!

Linda

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

I shared my first summer food meal of the season with a friend: burgers on grilled French roll with aged white cheddar cheese, tomatoes, Romaine, red onion, assorted mustards/ketchup, grilled corn, cucumbers with a sour cream and dill dressing, watermelon, and a nice Zin.

• Gina_W
    13 years ago

I'm not in here much, but NANCY! Please post the siu mai and siu mai burger recipes, pretty please!

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

Tonight I made Ophikid's recipe for Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos. The beef was very tasty, I used a package of stew meat I had on hand. Next time I will use a soild piece of meat easier to shred)and a little more spice. It was very good, Ophikid if you are out there lurking, thank you!

Sides were Woodie' Mexican Black Beans(which we love, and Grilled (I roasted it) Corn with Cumin Lime Butter. I am stuffed! LOL

Linda

• colleenoz
    13 years ago

It's been a while since I posted on the WFD thread but I wanted to tell you aabout last night's fish pie. I've been thinking about it for a while but DH has bad memories of his Mum's fish pie so he hasn't been too keen. BIL came to dinner last night so I decided to give it a go.
    I poached some fillets of large-flake fish in simmering water to which I added parsley, bay leaves, peppercorns and some dried mixed herbs. Took it out and poached a goodly amount of jumbo shrimp tails. Cut the fish into large chunks, mixed it with the prawns, added some chunky sauteed mushrooms and blended it all with a thin bechamel to which I had added onion and parmesan cheese. Poured into a casserole dish, topped with mashed potato and browned in the oven. It was yummy! Even DH liked it :-)
    Dessert was peach-raspberry crisp made with canned peaches (were're trying to use up stuff) and frozen raspberries. Was yummy but for some reason the raspberries and juice went really purple. Tasted great though!

• lindac
    13 years ago

Colleen....that fish pie sounds beyond yummy. Never would have thought of a chicken pot pie made with fish!!
    Linda C

• ruthanna_gw
    13 years ago

Ooooo, Alexa, your Lobster Risotto looks fantastic!
    Annie, I bet Elery was one happy consumer of those fried pies.
    Linda, your salmon dish will be on our table before the week is over.
    Colleen, fish pie sounds like a great idea.

DH and I were working on a labor-intensive project with another couple last week so the four of us ate hamburger BBQ, pasta salad and Syrian potato salad for both lunch and dinner for three days in a row.

Ever since Shaun posted AnnÂs pork meatballs with garlic and basil, I wanted to make them and finally did for SundayÂs dinner. They were very good.

Best meal lately was grilled pork chops, Greek salad, Silver Queen corn and potatoes. Worst item of the week was a peach crisp with oatmeal-almond topping. The "crisp" part was delicious but I used White Beauty peaches and they were so tasteless, we could have been eating cardboard.

{{gwi:1554678}}

• annie1992
    13 years ago

ruthanna, I've not been happy with any of the white peaches I've tried, for some reason. Sorry about that crisp.

Hey, you could have added blueberries and gotten purple cobbler like Colleen, LOL!

Colleen the fish pie sounds really good to me. Alexa forwarded me a recipe for something similar, but it's got crust instead of potatoes and it's just been too darned hot to turn the oven on. I haven't even baked bread!

Annie

• ann_t
    13 years ago

Colleen your dinner sounds amazing. Definitely something Moe would love and with all that rich sauce I know I would like it too.

Ruthanna, you can never go wrong with a grilled pork chop.

We had a ham dinner last night. Thanks to Ruthanna, I've had a craving for ham all weekend. Baked a bone in eight pound ham so we will be having ham and eggs, toasted ham sandwiches and maybe a pot of beans or soup.

• diinohio
    13 years ago

There are a lot of good looking and good sounding seafood dishes on this thread. I have never heard of fish pie, but I would probably try it if I could get any decent fish here.

This was brunch today, made with last nights leftover tri-tip.

thats the famous habanero jelly on the bottom left.

Di

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Dcarch:
    I had the Pepperidge Farm Deli Flats last night ,with Peanut Butter and Strawberry Jam.
    They were pretty good.

Rob333:
    I have some extra Tomatoes but I don't deliver.

Went to the VA Hospital today.
    On the way home I picked up the usual ( 2 Mac Chickens )

At home I put in a slice of large Tomato and Onion.
    That was Dinner.
    No photo's.
    Lou

• lakeguy35
    13 years ago

Love this thread and the great pics and recipes even though I don't post often. Really need to make time to do so. Managed to get a quick pic of my pork loin fresh of the grill tonight before the sun went down. It was 1/3 of a whole loin BTW. Dry rubbed last night.

Sides were oven roasted potatoes, fresh corn on the cob, and some toasted dill bread from Annie that I finally tried. Dessert, have to have dessert, was CCC from the freezer.

David

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Thought I'd Post one before it dropped off the bottom again.

Tonight I made a platter of " LouÂs Fish Puffs ".
    I originally called them Flounder Bits.

The Recipe is in " Do you have a Fish & Chips batter , that uses beer " Post.

I used Flounder Fillets cut in half both ways
    ( 2 ½ in. wide & 3 in. long )

The batter has a lot of Spices but they dissipate.
    I donÂt care for the bland taste without spices.

Dusted them with Cornstarch, into the batter ,
    then into crushed Barbecue Potato Chips for a Crust.
    Left out the Salt , because of the Chips.

So I guess they could be called " Fish and Chips ".

I used a two egg Recipe. It made a platter full,
    plus 2 that I ate, for a test and the Omelet.

When I was finished the Puffs,
    I added one of the Fillets ( chopped) , to the remaining Batter and
    made a small Omelet.
    When it was flipped over, it looked like a Flounder.
    So I had to take a Photo, with 2 pieces of Tomato and Mayo.
    That's all folks,
    LOU

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gina, here's the recipe for the Shu Mai Burgers. They were really good and Kim has already asked me to make them again very soon. I made a cilantro mayonnaise to dress them with.

The Shu Mai dumpling recipe is in the Sept/Oct 2010 Cooks Illustrated magazine. It's also on their web site, so I will link it.

May 25, 2010 New York Times

Shu Mai-Style Burgers

Time: 30 minutes

1/2 pound shrimp, peeled

2 medium cloves garlic

1 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, with the fat, cut into 1-inch cubes

2 teaspoons soy sauce

1/4 cup chopped scallion plus more for garnish

1/4 cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnish

1 small fresh chili, seeded and minced

1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Shredded cabbage and pickled pepper, to garnish (optional).

1. If grilling or broiling, heat should be medium-high and rack about 4 inches from fire. Put shrimp and garlic in a food processor and pulse until just chopped; remove to a large bowl. Working in batches, grind pork fat until just chopped (be careful not to over-process). Add to bowl. Then grind meat until just chopped, again being careful not to over-process; add to bowl.

2. Mix shrimp, pork fat and meat with the soy sauce, scallion, cilantro, chili and ginger; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Shape into 8 patties.

3. To broil or grill, cook about 4 minutes, then turn and cook for a total of 8 to 10 minutes, or until nicely browned and cooked through. For stove top, heat a large skillet over medium heat for 2 or 3 minutes, then add the patties; cook undisturbed, for about 4 minutes, then turn and cook for a total of 8 to 10 minutes, or until nicely browned and cooked through.

4. Garnish with scallion, cilantro, cabbage and pickled pepper, to taste.

Yield: 8 burgers.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cook's Illustrated Shu Mai

• annie1992
    13 years ago

I should not come here.....

When I got out of work I went to the farm and picked a bushel and a half tomatoes, Amanda and Mother are coming tomorrow to help me can salsa. So, when I got home I have some fingerling potatoes from the garden, sliced and fried, with and egg and a fresh sliced tomato. Not worthy of a picture, but it was pretty good.

Tomorrow I'm making frog legs for Mother!

Annie

• lindac
    13 years ago

Hey...Annie....you grow the frogs too???

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

Everything here looks wonderful and far more ambitious than I am feeling up to these days. That ham, that pork loin, tri tip, risotto! Oh my!

Dinner this evening was a bike ride with Alice to the frozen yogurt shop. I had a bit of sugar free raspberry yogurt topped with all manner of fresh fruit and sliced almonds. Nope, no photo.

• mst___
    13 years ago

Nancy. Your coconut buttermilk pie sound delicious. Would you please share the recipe?
    Teri

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sure Teri, glad to. I made some changes to the basic recipe, will note those below.

Buttermilk Pie
    Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2000

Serves: 8 servings.

Ingredients

Â1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    Â1 tablespoon flour
    Â1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
    Â4 large eggs
    Â1 cup buttermilk
    Â1 stick butter, melted
    Â1 unbaked 10-inch basic pie crust shell
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, and lemon zest. Whisk in the eggs, 1at a time. Stir in the buttermilk and melted butter. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the pie shell and bake until the top is lightly browned and the center sets, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. Slice the pie into individual servings. Garnish with the whipped cream and mint.

My notes: I use vanilla instead of the lemon zest and add about 1cup of coconut. Blend all in a food processor.
    Baking time is closer to 50-60 minutes.

Nancy

• lyndaluu2
    13 years ago

Gosh we are all such great cooks!!!!
    Everyone's food look so good!!!
    Yesterday I made stuffed Poblano Chiles (chiles Rellenos)
    for breakfast!! It was my birthday and that what I wanted!! LOL

For dinner we went to our favorite Italian Cafe, it over looks Reno and you can sit and watch the city lights. They have bands playing most nights.
    The owners moved here from Tuscany about 6 years ago. The food is excellent!!
    We had the Chilean Sea Bass with a Capri topping, garlic mashed potatoes and broccoli.
    For dessert we had a Panna Cotta with blueberry reduction. OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry no pics...thought about it after dinner.

Linda

• hawk307
    13 years ago

" Shrimp Boats are a comin their Sails are in sight "
    Some may remember that song.

Cooked some Shrimp, Stringbeans, Potatoes and fresh Corn.

Didn't have much time for Photo's, so it is not what I wanted. Even the Dock fell apart.
    At least I can eat the evidence.

But I tried !!!
    LOU

• ann_t
    13 years ago

Annie, you can cook Frog legs for me any day.

Nancy, next time I have buttermilk on hand, I'm making your pie.

Linda, Chile Rellenos are a favourite here. Your dinner looks delicious.

We have still been eating well, I just haven't been taking pictures this week. Matt was here for a few days and we had Hamburgers one night and a pot roast another.

Friday night was take out. I drove Matt home after I got off work and I stopped and picked up Thai to bring home.

Steak was on the menu Saturday night and last night we celebrated both my birthday and our 31st wedding anniversary from earlier in the week with a Crab Feast. Picked up two 2.75 pound Dungeness crabs. Steamed and served with garlic butter.

Ann

• Gina_W
    13 years ago

Linda, would you email me the info on that restaurant? Thanks!

• arabellamiller
    13 years ago

Love the chile Rellenos! That looks wonderful.

Nancy, we love shu mai, but I can't get into the recipe without registering. I'm going to do a search though. I know I have wrappers on hand. If I hadn't already made a bucket of tortellini, I'd give that a shot tonight.

And Annie, I'd love to try your frogs legs along with Ann! I've never had them.

AM

• ruthanna_gw
    13 years ago

David, that is one good-looking piece of pork!

Happy anniversary to you and Moe, Ann.

It wasnÂt planned that way but last weekÂs dinners ended up full of seafood. One night, I made Linda (doucanoe)Âs salmon on a bed of vegetables. It tasted so summery and light. DH and I also had whole grilled branzinis at a restaurant, my neighbor brought over corn/crab chowder and we had lobster rolls at an event we attended. .

Sunday dinner was a very and moist and tender steamed whole chicken breast with diet-bashing cream gravy and some squash with minced dried cherries and apricots.

• arabellamiller
    13 years ago

Ruthanna - your dinner looks delicious, but what I really love is that red plate. So pretty!

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

Ruthana, do tell how you did the squash please..it looks really yummy!

• ann_t
    13 years ago

Ruthanna, I like how you "ribboned" the squash. I wouldn't mind that chicken and mashed potatoes.

Ann

• chase_gw
    13 years ago

What's for dinner tonight solved! Chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy !! It's rainy here today and it's going to be just perfect!

Thanks for the inspiration Ruthanna.

• ruthanna_gw
    13 years ago

I made the squash ribbons with the Zyliss julienne peeler on the link below, although I bought it at my local Target store last year for a much lower price. I steamed them in a glass casserole in the microwave with the fruit, a little water and fresh orange juice.

I've also used it on other fruits and vegetables. My favorite is rutabagas with crispy leek strips on top (have to peel the rutabagas with a normal peeler or paring knife first).

Arabella, the red glass dishes were my everyday dishes for more than 30 years and amazingly, we've never broken a single piece.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zyliss julienne peeler

• canarybird01
    13 years ago

Everything looks so good here, I'm getting hungry just going over what's been for dinner.

I haven't posted for a while because although we are eating well I've been full time nursemaid for Wolf who had a bad fall mid August and after taking him in an ambulance to the hospital where he stayed for a couple of days, we found nothing was broken, just bruised and sore. So he's in bed and I've borrowed a wheelchair to get him back and forth between the bed, bath and TV. Full time job. But he's eating well and we're keeping in good spirits.

So since he loves it when I make a thick vegetable puré from a multitude of vegetables, chopped and cooked with lentils in chicken broth & water, then stick blended, I've made that a couple of times and we've slurped that down with crusty dark bread and cheese. We've also had fish fillets and salads, chicken tenders and veg and the usual things I make for our summer dinners. Here it's been extremely hot and humid with weather alerts telling folks to stay indoors. Funnily enough we both have a craving for cooked porridge for breakfast, and I love to eat the cold leftovers in the afternoon with cold milk and brown sugar. Hmmm...must be the heat.

Today we had another vegetable puré with garlic croutons and a salad of iceberg lettuce and tender leaves, tinned pink salmon including juice, hard cooked egg, feta cheese in a light yoghurt dressing. A hot weather favourite of ours. Evenings we're having papaya sliced in orange juice.

Wishing everyone a good week ahead!

Sharon Cb

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Sharon, what lovely salad.

Here it was cool enough that Elery made posole:

Another day I made a tomato tart with puff pastry crust and elery grilled shrimp:

Tonight? Beats me....

Annie

• ann_t
    13 years ago

Sharon, sorry to hear about Wolf's fall. Sounds like he is getting a lot of tender loving care. With all that good food he should be up and about again soon.

Annie, everything looks good.

Ann

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sharon, I hope Wolf is able to be out and about very soon. I wish you both the best.

Nancy

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Sharon, I completely missed that part about Wolf still being in bed, I just read the part about how nothing was broken and breathed a sigh of relief!

I do hope he can get up and around quickly and is completely recovered soon.

Annie

• arabellamiller
    13 years ago

Sharon, I hope Wolf recovers rapidly. Best wishes to you both...

We've had a weekend of cookouts and parties, so I've just been preparing sides. Last night was a catered party on the beach at Rye Playland. They have a fun Tiki bar/restaurant there now and the party was held on the deck. The food was mediocre at best, but I did appreciate that there were veggie burgers in addition to the beef burgers and hot dogs.

This afternoon we're headed to a friend's. I'm bringing a green salad, a layered roasted veg salad with goat cheese and dessert - chocolate brownies with homemade chocolate ice cream and toppings.

AM

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

"Posted by arabellamiller ------Last night was a catered party on the beach at Rye Playland. They have a fun Tiki bar/restaurant there now and the party was held on the deck. The food was mediocre at best, but I did appreciate that there were veggie burgers in addition to the beef burgers and hot dogs. ---------------
    AM"

I might have run into you. I was having dinner at La Panetiere, 530 Milton Road, Rye.

My most favorite French restaurant. About 15 minutes from me. If yoy have not been there, I highly recommend it. Reservation a must.

http://www.lapanetiere.com/

dcarch

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Lots of good looking food here - as usual! Dinner tonight will be a chicken breast baked in BBQ sauce, leftover squash, roasted ratatouille, Claremont salad, and cornbread. The chicken breast is HUGE! I do not like such gi-normous pieces of chicken. Why do they raise them that way?

Sharon, glad to hear Wolf did not injure himself more seriously. Tell him we all wish him "a speedy recovery!"

Teresa

• jojoco
    13 years ago

Best wishes to Wolf for a full recovery. He is certainly in good hands.
    AM, I grew up near Playland and went there at least once a year as a child. I don't know what was scarier; the dragon coaster or the fact that I was aware how old, wooden and rickety it was. But fun memories.

Dinner last night was a party at my house with 6 other couples. I made gumbo and let my friends bring what they wanted (they all insisted on bringing "something". We had Annies Salsa with chips and crackers with habanero gold jelly and cream cheese. My guests brought a spinach/cheese/black bean dip with spicey rotelle, a great salad, pulled pork/rolls, key lime pie, apple pie, and chocolate fudge. Not necessarily a planned menu, but everything was delicious and the wine was flowing.
    jo

• caliloo
    13 years ago

SOunds like a grand evening Jo!

Sharon, sending best wishes for Wolf's speedy recovery. I know you are taking wonderful care of him and your photos look just delish.

Yesterday was Smokefest here, so we had a gracious plenty of all sorts of beast. I prepped pork shoulder, brisket, ribs, chicken and salmon and another friend who is a hunter and fisherman brought venison tenderloin, pheasant legs, a sea bass, and a bluefish. I dry rubbed the venison and pheasant and brined the bluefish and seabass. The salmon was also cured then dried before smoking as were the pork and beef. The vegetarian grill had peppers, corn, eggplant and vidalias. Other sides were quinoa salad with cranberries and pecans, spinach salad, cole slaw and pasta salad. Appys were taco dip, smoked salmon spread, Habanero Gold with cream cheese and crackers, chips & dip, etc Dessert was That D@mn Cake, Fruit in crust with cheesecake pie (Tracey Oh on the Pie thread) and an apple cake.

It was all really good, but we did discover that there are not a lot of Bluefish fans AND home smoked salmon is far better than anything you can buy.

Alexa

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Well, after I complained about the huge chicken breast.....it turned out to be maybe the very best piece of chicken I have ever cooked.......she says sheepishly....

And I found a very good corn muffin recipe, the Neely's Honey Cornbread Muffins on foodnetwork.com.

• ann_t
    13 years ago

Jo, sounds like a wonderful evening.

Alexa, what could be better than your Smokefest.I'd be happy with just one of those smoked meats.

Ann