Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Julia Child in NY Times

Posted by chas045 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 19:47

Julia Child would turn 100 on Wednesday. Her influence is covered in tomorrow's edition of the NY Times. Discuss?

Here is a link that might be useful: Article

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Julia Child in NY Times

She was the best!! I was privileged to meet her once.

o

I miss her.....but sometimes come across some of her shows on PBS. NOW those were cooking shows!

o

Happy, happy Birthday, Julia!!!

Sally

o

Her transplanted kitchen is re-opening at the Smithsonian (National Museum of National History) in DC. There's an article in today's Food section in the Washington Post.

Here's the link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/the-museum-of-american-history-has-revamped-the-julia-child-kitchen-display/2012/08/10/91d7e434-e258-11e1-a25e-15067bb31849_story.html

o

I take every opportunity to watch any of her TV shows that are aired. You would think that PBS or the Food Network would do that this week.

I always give her book, The Way to Cook, at bridal showers. It gets a luke warm reception when given but years later I'm told it's the best cookbook they ever received.

o

Like Chase, when I find one of her old shows I try to watch. I remember as a young girl how funny her voice sounded to me.

Besides her birthday, she's in the media for another reason now. I'll link a thread from over on the Appliances Forum about how Thermador is trying to capitalize on her image despite the fact that JC *never* endorsed any product. Pretty dirty thing to do if you ask me!

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliances thread on T'dor and JC

o

Interesting thread. I hadn't seen it in the news and I haven't been to Appliances much lately. I'm not about to jump into that thread, but here's my take on it: Yeah, it's a pretty low and disrespectful thing to do especially considering JC's view on endorsing products, but I'd be surprised if it'll really translate to much backlash - in particular much lasting backlash - against the brand beyond the likes of people who hang out on the Appliance Forum. This isn't the presidential election - the competitors won't place negative ads because of it, and it won't be headline news for long. It'll be all but forgotten. That's my prediction, anyway.

One thing that makes this somewhat unique is that it's not a fight about money. The foundation doesn't want money, they just don't want her likeness used. It'll be interesting to watch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here