SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Topfen/Quark?

Rudebekia
11 years ago

Does anyone know where I can buy this cheese in the U.S.? My Austrian cookbook uses a lot of topfen, and I'd like to find the actual stuff.

Comments (5)

• Lars
    11 years ago

The Cheese Store in Beverly Hills has it. I would expect to find it in other cheese stores. If you cannot find it, perhaps you can make your own.

Lars

• pkramer60
    11 years ago

Marita, it has been years since I have found quark in the Midwest. There was an Amish diary that sold it, but I can't find it anymore. You could try subbing ricotta or farmers cheese in your recipes.

• ynnej
    11 years ago

If you have a Whole Foods where you live they sell it there.

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

Much like yogurt, you can make your own. See the link below for several recipes.

Information from the Cook's Thesaurus - recipe as well as substitutes.

quark = quark-curd = topfen = quarg = curd-cheese Notes: This versatile fresh cheese resembles soft cream cheese. Germans (who call is quark) and Austrians (who call it topfen) use it to make everything from cheesecake to gravy.

To make your own: Combine one quart whole milk with 1/2 cup buttermilk in a clean container, cover, and let the mixture stand at room temperature for two days. Gently cook the mixture for about 30 minutes. It's done when the curd has thickened slightly and begun to separate from the whey. Let it cool and pour it into a colander lined with several folds of cheesecloth. Put the colander into a larger container, wrap with plastic, and let it drain overnight in the refrigerator until the quark is reduced to the consistency of yogurt. Makes about 1 cup.

Substitutes: fromage frais (very similar) OR yogurt cheese (more acidic) OR two parts ricotta cheese and one part sour cream OR strained cottage cheese OR mascarpone.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Make Quark

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, we have a Whole Foods. I did look there and didn't find it, but perhaps I need to look again.

On my cooking agenda is Topfenknodel and Topfenpaletschinken (sp?), both fondly remembered from my school days in Vienna. . .