SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachelellen_gw

Tomato Sauce

rachelellen
14 years ago

Well, as long and varied as my culinary forays have been, I've never actually made tomato sauce. Never had the garden space for more than enough tomatoes to eat (I'm very greedy when it comes to vine ripened tomatoes).

So, today I made my first batch following a very basic recipe. But the sauce is quite thin. Very tasty, in fact, I could just about serve it as tomato soup, and never look back. But, I can't imagine that it would cling to pasta very well.

I would normally cook a thin sauce down, but the recipe I used specifically limited the cooking time to no more than 10 minutes. I guess the idea is to preserve the fresh flavor of the tomatoes.

What would y'all do? Add a thickener of some sort, cook it down? I could add tomato paste, but what's the point of making tomato sauce from scratch if you're just going to put the can taste in with paste?

Comments (45)

• dgkritch
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Are you canning it or making for fresh use?

I think I woud cook it down. I like thick sauce.
    When I make my sauce to can, I freeze the tomatoes first, thaw partially and remove skins/core under hot running water. Finish thawing in a strainer over a bowl so I can save the watery juice as a soup base.
    Then I run what's left of the pulp/seeds through my Vitorio Food strainer and it's comes out pretty thick.
    Freezing breaks down the cell structure and allows much of the "water" out. Saves lots of time on the cooking down and it's really easy to just wash the tomatoes (cut out any bad spots) and freeze when the garden is going full bore.
    Then I can make sauce at my leisure when things slow down!

Deanna

• jazmynsmom
    14 years ago

No need to treat a recipe like scripture if you don't like the result. Go ahead and cook it down and see what you think.

I grow more San Marzanos than I can ever eat just so I can make and freeze sauce. To do so, I just wash 'em, slice 'em in half, peel several whole garlic cloves (more than you think you want) toss everything with olive oil, salt and pepper, and spread them out on a jelly roll pan (cut tomato sides up, single layer). I roast them for a couple hours (or however long it takes) at around 250F. When they look right, I let them cool a bit and run them through my food mill (this is a good project for when you're doing other things). I measure out 2-cup increments and put them in quart-sized freezer bags. This is the perfect base for any sauce (Mexican, Italian, other)

The only lesson I learned the hard way using Ziplocks is that you have to stack them neatly in a box before you freeze them. Once they're frozen, you can rearrange them however you want. I failed to do this once and the weight of the liquid made the bag conform around my wire shelf and the sauce froze itself to my shelf so that I had to break it away to get it out of the (#*$ freezer. Live and learn (or use Tupperware)...

• Related Discussions

Is it OK to give cats canned sardines in tomato sauce?

Q

Comments (8)
    Sardines are a great source of Omega 3 for dogs and cats. Maybe rinse off the tomato sauce (it's not bad for them, but it might be spicy). You can buy sardines in water just for the kitties. My cats and dogs eat them once a week. The nice thing about sardines is that they are immature fish so they haven't been around long enough to pick up the contaminants in the water that other fish have.
    ...See More

Salsas, Tomato Sauces, and Chili Sauces OH MY!

Q

Comments (9)
    Stevie - sugar has nothing to do with safety in canning except in a very minimal role. It binds up some of any free water. It doesn't alter the pH of low acid foods and has minimal effect on any density or heat penetration issues. Low acid vegetables must be either pressure canned, fermented, or have enough acid added to lower the ingredients pH to 4.6 minimum to prevent botulism. This is all discussed in infinite detail on the Harvest/canning forum. Like I said, freezing the recipe or eating it fresh is no problem. Even pressure canning it would eliminate most of the safety concerns IF one could calculate the amount of time and pressure needed. But other than pressure canning, sealing it in a vacuum environment with simple boiling water bath canning without pH and density testing would be considered unsafe. But since the recipe as posted includes no canning instructions we can only assume this is intended for fresh eating (although it would be a big batch) or freezing. Dave
    ...See More

Tomato Sauce/Tomatoes with Zucchini

Q

Comments (1)
    Of course you can always process it even without a full load for the canner and many do it often. Just include a few extra jars filled with water to keep everything upright. Otherwise freezing it is the best option. 24-48 hours max in the fridge and after 24 it has to be reboiled. I honestly can imagine how the tomatoes with zucchini would turn out since it is supposed to be a chunky mix and you have already made the tomatoes into sauce. So shreds or chunks of zucchini mixed into tomato sauce doesn't really sound all that appealing to me. JMO Dave
    ...See More

Tomato sauce in boxes?

Q

Comments (20)
    I sincerely hope and pray it is a mild case and that you will be well again soon! ! Thank you. I am of course not thrilled at this turn of events. But while I am very tired it is completely different from my first Covid experience last March, where I could not walk from one end of my apartment to the other without sitting down to catch my breath. The OTC meds are doing a good job controlling the sore throat, cough, headache, etc. Overall, a much less severe/scary experience.
    ...See More
  • chase_gw
    14 years ago

I can about 200 jars of tomatoes each year. Some I do as stewed tomatoes, some as sauce. every year the sauce is a bit different, sometimes, thiker , sometimes thinner. I think it all depends on the growing season.

The year it is "thinner" I just cook it down. Some years it never does thicken enough, even when cooked down, but I never add paste, just don't want that taste mixed in with my fresh tomato sauce. When that happens I use it in baked pasta dishes so the pasta absorbs most of the liquid.

No matter what , thick or thin , nothing beats that smell and flavour 'round about February!

• loagiehoagie
    14 years ago

I usually cook my tomatoes down for 24 hours or more, depending...on very low heat with a copper bottom kettle. Stirring frequently. 10 minutes might be okay for a quick garden fresh pasta sauce but not for garden tomatoes to be canned or frozen. I prefer to freeze....if you have the freezer space..since you can add onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms or whatever you want and not worry about adding lemon juice or acid for canning. Just my preference. Add your spices and sugar/salt as you go and taste as you go. Delicious!

Duane

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

If you're looking for a thicker sauce, make sure you squeeze the excess moisture out of the tomatoes before making them into sauce. That will help with the thin vs. thick quality.

I never cook my sauce more than 30 minutes anymore. IMHO, long cooking periods beat the life out of a tomato! You lose all that fresh flavor. I used to cook my sauce for hours, but once I started cooking it for less than 1/2 hour, I never looked back!

Lori

• ann_t
    14 years ago

I can vouch for Sharon's tomato sauce. It is wonderful. Probably the best homemade sauce I've had. It retains its fresh taste.

Ann

• loagiehoagie
    14 years ago

I don't agree that long cooking squeezes the life out of a tomato. Long simmering intensifies the taste IMHO, but hey that's just me. I love the fresh taste of a tomato, but for freezing I like a nice thick sauce with plenty of seasoning cooked into it. I enjoy a fresh tomato sauce in the summer over pasta. Different animal. That's what I had tonight. Fresh heirloom tomatoes (Chapman, Yellow Brandywine and Paul Robeson) over angel hair with sauteed shrimp and basil and a little butter and garlic.

For my 'winter' sauce I like the intense "thick" cooked down tomatoes. I mean probably 50 tomatoes for a couple of quarts of sauce. Any idea why that expensive $8-$10 a jar pasta sauce is so expensive.....many tomatoes gave their lives for that quart!

Duane

• readinglady
    14 years ago

How liquid the tomato sauce is depends a good deal on the variety of tomato. As I use whatever's ripe in the garden, my tomatoes tend to be juicier than the standard paste types.

I do simmer my tomato sauce for a long time but I also thicken it.

One strategy I use is to bring the tomatoes to a gentle boil and pour off the majority of the watery liquid. Then I cool the tomatoes to the point where they can be handled, puree the pulp, return it to the pan and cook down to the desired degree. This way I'm not expending energy evaporating the water. The result is a nice thick sauce with excellent flavor.

The watery liquid can also be canned and used as an addition to soups or stews when water is called for. A little more nutrition and a bit of a flavor boost.

Carol

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Rachel:
    Had to pop in here.
    What is a " Can Taste " ?????

Adding a Small can of Tomato Paste to a Batch of Sauce.
    Is'nt going to Change the taste.
    The fresh tomatoe taste will still be there.

Duane:
    I agree with what you said about simmering.

There are those who swear by cooking the Sauce less than 1/2 hour and
    try to convince everyone to do the same.

That is good for some people and some type Sauces.
    I use it in Seafood Dishes.

But that is not to say it is everyones taste.

Like my Sauce, just because it is the " Best in the World "
    Doesn't mean everyone loves it.

but when it is compared to 50 others and comes in #1, 2 or
    3, then it's a winner.

I'd compare it to anyone's Sauce. It is a Traditional ,
    Italian Meat Sauce.
    With lots of good Spices not just Tomatoes.

But not for everyone !!!!! And I don't use fresh Spices,
    every time.
    I got knocked for that too, at every chance.!!!

BUT !!! Remember " Spatini Sauce Mix " . Everyone raved
    about Spatini.

Then they stopped making it and everyone was dissapointed.

WHY !!!!! IT WAS ALL POWDERED SPICES !!! including Powdered Garlic and it could be duplicated.

Rachel:

Why don't you try a Small batch with some Tomato Paste.

I only added 1 can to mine and Simmered it 2 1/2 Hours.
    It was so thick !

How thick ??? I put the Latel in and it stood up.

LOU

PS: I forgot to add a Few " LOL's "

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Could someone post Sharon's recipe?

• ann_t
    14 years ago

Bumblebeez, Here are Sharon's recipes. You can't go wrong using either of these. They are the best. Good enough to drink. LOL!!

* Posted by chase (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 22, 07 at 15:09

Here are two recipes I use. I can mine but it may be frozen or just made up for a meal. Divide the recipe as required.

Plain Italian Tomato Sauce

24 cups smooshed tomatoes whirred smoothish *
    2 cups finely minced celery
    2 cups finely minced onion
    1 1/2 cups finely minced carrot (use just one for a bit less sweet I use 1 1/2)
    12 TBSP bottles lemon juice
    2 TBSP coarse salt

Note: For one batch I sub hot peppers for some of the carrot and celery, just so I have a piquante sauce as well.

Herbed Tomato Sauce

24 cups smooshed tomatoes whirred smoothish *
    4 - 5 cups chopped herbs of your choice
    12 TBSP bottled lemon juice
    2 TBSP coarse salt.

I use Basil, oregano and parsley but you can use only one or two or three and you don't need to use equal amounts, in other words you can go 2/3 basil 1/3 parsley. For all of them bring to a rolling boil and then lower heat to a high simmer , you want to see some action but not a full boil. After coming to the boil a foam will form, skim it off.
    Place your jars in the dishwasher , when the jars are done so is the sauce. I generally cook about an hour , you can go longer. I don't like to cook less than an hour 'cause I want some thickening to take place while canning so it doesn't need to much cook time when I use it.
    Fill jars as normal. HWB for 30 minutes.

* I break the tomatoes with my hands and then use a hand blender to smooth some more. You could use a food processor. I do not seed my tomatoes but you could.

• rachelellen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys! I did end up adding one can of paste, because I got a flu and couldn't be sure I'd wake up and check on a sauce long simmering. It thickened up nicely, and the taste is so heavenly I had to restrain myself from just sitting down and eating it. Feeling better now, so tomorrow I'll can it for the February bouts of tomato lust and start another batch.

I get the idea from reading all your posts that tomato sauce is rather like spaghetti sauce in that everyone has their own recipe, and there really isn't a good or bad...just differences.

As Carol mentioned...I hadn't used specific "paste" types (Romas??), just a mixed bag from my garden, so perhaps that's why it was thin. I did leave the seeds and watery goop in, because there's so much flavor there, so maybe that's another reason.

The flavor though..........I can see I'm going to be doing a lot more canning.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Rachel:
    I'm glad you tried the Tomato Paste, to thicken and found it wss good.

I don't think I've ever steered you in the wrong direction.
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    There are 3 different types of Tomato Sauce.

Simmered Long(at least 2 1/2Hrs), Barely Cooked, Uncooked,

I don't know of any Italian Family, that don't use a lot of Spices, in the Barely Cooked and
    the Long Simmered.

Barely cooked was used mostly for Seafood Dishes,(Marinara)
    with extra Garlic and Parsley.
    - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Traditional Long Cooked," Sunday Sauce ", was Simmered at least 2 1/2 Hours.

It was simmered long to meld all the Spices and Flavors of the different meats,
    into an Exceptional Taste.

And I use all the Spices, I have found thru the years,
    that add to this taste.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I'll put my Recipe in Once again.

I'm glad some of you have tried it and were very Happy with the results.

Please note that you can add the Sausage, Meatballs and Chicken in " uncooked "
    Lou

LOU'S SPAGHETTI and PIZZA SAUCE

I use canned tomatoes but make sure they are Italian or a red color. Some choices are Contadina , Red Pack , Hunts , All Red, = Tutto Rosso, Chento

NOTE !!!
    To use " FRESH TOMATO'S " Pulse them in a blender but leave some small pieces.
    Add one can of Tomato Paste.

Pizza Sauce

1 Large can of Tomato Puree and Crushed Tomatoes or all Crushed TomatoÂs

1 level teaspoon Garlic Powder ( add more later to taste ) or
    use 4 fresh Garlic Cloves smashed ,sautéed and chopped small.

I use all Powdered Spices now, and get the same results

1 tablespn. of Onion powder.
    1 teasp. Salt. or to taste
    3 teasp. Sugar ( add more if it tastes too acidy ).
    An Italian pinch of pwd.cloves.
    3/4 teasp. Oregano ( or to taste ) if it is strong.
    1 teaspoon of Parsley,
    1/2 teasp. Basil.
    1/4 teasp. black pepper.
    ½ teaspoon + of ( Chicken flavored Soup Base )
    Simmer for about ½ hour or use without cooking.
    Large handful of Parmasan Cheese, when done , after 1/2 hour.
    - - - - - - - -
    CONTINUE for SPAGHETTI SAUCE

This recipe can be used for Spagetti Sauce , just add a can of Tomatoe Paste ,
    with water to thin a little ,.if the Sauce too thick to start it will burn easily.
    It will thicken as it cooks.

Add to the Pizza Sauce:

½ cup of fine chopped Onion.
    And 3 bay leaves .
    Don't forget the Chicken flavored Soup Base.
    I add uncooked Meatballs, couple at a time " or ",
    ( I bake about 3 dozen meatballs and freeze them )

Sausage and Chicken Thighs, when you start cooking.
    (cook at least 1 ½ to 2 hours )Take the Chicken out when it is done.
    ( About 1 ¼ hours )
    Add the Parmesan Cheese " after " the sauce is cooked & stir.

If you want a " MEAT SAUCE " when you start simmering the Tomato's ,
    add some Sausage and Ground Meat, that was chopped small and Simmered.

ALSO !!! season to your own taste. Add more or less of what you like.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting that, Ann.

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

Lou, I made your sauce last night to top someone else's pizza dough. It was a 4 hr disaster and I was torked! However, I thought the sauce was delish and my husband raved about it! Next time I'll use your dough recipe, too!

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Beachlily;
    Thanks for your Feedback. It is Appreciated !!!!!
    Lou

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

Lou, I didn't know you made tomato sauce...

Duane, we'll have to agree to disagree. I find cooking the tomatoes for a long time intensifies the acidity in the tomatoes, not the flavor... but that's just me! I'm sure your sauce is tasty, however, I prefer a lighter sauce, year 'round. I will agree with you that fresh chopped tomatoes lightly sauteed with garlic and basil makes for a great summertime pasta sauce. Love that.

Lori

• ann_t
    14 years ago

You are very welcome bumblebeez. One of these days I'm going to get around to canning tomatoes using Sharon's recipe. Although I probably won't can 200 jars like she does.

Ann

• hawk307
    14 years ago

lorijean: You Said,
    " Lou, I didn't know you made Tomato Sauce "

How about that !!! You learn something every day.

Maybe one day you will learn that cooking Tomato Sauce,
    intensifies the Flavors.
    It's all in what you like, Fresh Taste or Long Cooking Taste.

But, then again, maybe I, along with thousands of Cooks are wrong and you are right.
    ( I'm not a Cook )

I only use the Fresh Taste for Seafood Sauces.

For Pasta I prefer a Long Simmered, Fullbodied, Rich Flavored, thick Meat Sauce.

Duane:
    I agree with you.
    Just do it your way and let the rest do it their way.

Remember what Frankie said ? " I did it my waaaaaaaay "
    Don't get yourself upset, not worth it !!!!!

I'll keep Posting my Recipe, if someone wants it.

Once in a while, some lucky person will try it and thank me. lol !!!

Lou

• ann_t
    14 years ago

Like Lori, I prefer a tomato sauce that still retains its fresh tomato flavour That is why I like the tomato sauce that Sharon cans. To my taste it is the perfect blend of flavours. Made with fresh tomatoes and fresh herbs.

Tomato sauces that are simmered for hours are much more condensed and the acidity is more pronounced. Begins to taste more like tomato paste than a fresh tomato sauce.

But hey, we are all entitled to our own taste and to think that our way is the best. As long as we don't think it is the ONLY way.

• loagiehoagie
    14 years ago

Yep, everybody has their own tastes and opinions. Not a thing wrong with that. Honestly, I bet I would love anything any of you great cooks on this forum would prepare. A light flavorful sauce: Delicious! A long simmered thick sauce with a real depth of flavor: Delicious!

I call that a tie. Both are good and do what you want to do and enjoy it!

I still say they are two different animals so to speak. It's like saying baked chicken is better than fried chicken. They are both good, but different!

Duane

• lsr2002
    14 years ago

Sharon or Ann,

Do you peel the tomatoes, or is it sufficient to break the skin into bits with blender? About how many pints would the recipe you posted make and how long would you process pints in a BWB (at 5000 ft)? Thanks, we are soon going to have a LOT of tomatoes.

Lee

• lindac
    14 years ago

I'm not Sharon nor Ann, but I always skin my tomatoes for a sauce...or any kind of cooking. I don't like finding even a scrap of that cellophane like skin in my sauce.
    I don't make "my spaghetti sauce" always the same. If I am making a dead of winter, big batch of sauce, some to be frozen, I will use canned tomatoes and tomato paste....BUT I am very fussy about the brand of that tomato paste....as some can taste bitter and definitely "canned".
    I make a quick, fresh summer tomato pasta sauce that I cook in a fry pan with onions and fresh garlic and herbs...I make a pizza sauce in the winter with canned tomato sauce and chopped onions and mushrooms and peppers and herbs.....and I make a "summer pizza" which is usually basil pesto on the crust and topped with skinny slices of fresh tomatoes, fresh garlic grated, a chiffonade of basil and curls of Parmagano reggiano.
    It's all "my sauce" in that I made it, but, depending on the purpose, I make different tomato sauces at different times. The long simmered winter sauce always begins with pork, onions, green peppers and fresh garlic browned together, includes a fair amount of dry red wine, fresh garlic, a fair amount of chopped parsley, oregano and basil, fresh if I can get it fresh, dried if not and sometimes a grated carrot. But never cloves nor chicken stock base.
    I know people who are horrified that I might put a carrot in my sauce and others ( Greek!) that think a sauce should contain a whiff of cinnamon, others who always put some cumin in their sauce.
    I say vive la difference! There is no one way.....and while some think my sauce is the best....others think their own is better.....and who am I to insist you make it my way?
    Linda C

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Linda C:
    What you are saying makes sense. Everyone to their own taste.
    I do the same as you but I do use a couple of Cloves because there is Pork in my Sauce and
    I do use a little Chicken Soup Base, for added Flavor.
    And I don't always use fresh Garlic and Spices.
    There is no need to keep telling me about this.

But I'm not a fan of Cinnamon in Spaghetti Sauce. It is Ok for the Greek population, I suppose.
    But in my BIL'S Restaurant Spaghetti wasn't selling until I made a Batch of Sauce for him. ???

Like I said many times, I don't cook to please myself.

but when it pleases 95 percent, I'll stay with it.

I try to pass what I have learned to others.
    and don't like being cutdown with Subtle comments,
    about my methods or what I use in my Recipes.
    Comments that cause me to be a little upset and make other CF members wonder why.

I was hoping one day it would end and I can enjoy the CF.
    - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just think about some of the comments.

Can you imagine about a million people across the US , getting ready for Sunday Spaghetti Dinner.

They have cooked their Sauce the same way for years.
    Long Simmering with all the Good Meats ,

Then they read this Post and all the Threads ???

What have I been doing all these years ??? My Sauce tastes like Tomatoe Paste and Acid.???

I'll have to taste some Tomatoe Paste to see what everyone is talking about???

My family said they loved my Sauce. Why would they lie to me. ???

That's strange, I just tasted the Paste, my Sauce doesn't taste like this !!!!!

HEY !!! WAT SA MATTA, YOU PAZZA !!!
    - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't think so !!!!! I think they will go on cooking their Sauce the same way.
    And !!!!! Every family has the best !!!

Here is my Dinner for today. Rigatoni with Sausage and Meatball.

LOU

{{gwi:1523476}}

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

Thanks Ann for posting two of my recipes. Talking about good enough to drink, I sent some to a swap partner a few years back and she and her husband used the Italian sauce for Bloody Mary's! LOL

Lee, I always peel my tomatoes first. Drop them in boiling water for a few minutes and they peel easily. I haven't my detailed notes with me here at the cottage but I can tell you I get approximately 20 quart jars to a bushel. Runs in my mind that one batch ( as detailed above by Ann) makes about 8-10 quart jars.

I also make stewed tomatoes which is quite chunky and has peppers, onions and celery. Great for soups and Chili.

I never add any garlic, or dried spices to the tomatoes when I can them. I add all that when I use the tomatoes for a specific sauce.

As Ann indicated, I make tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes and then use that as a base for various cooked sauces. So all my sauces are based on fresh, not commercially canned, tomatoes. That is why they have such a wonderful fresh , not canned taste.

When I use my fresh canned tomato to make a pasta sauce, sometimes I cook it for a very short time, sometimes I cook it longer. Just depends on what I taste and texture I am trying to achieve.

Bumblebeez, I am at the cottage without access to my detailed notes but maybe if David sees this he can post the whole enchilada, I'm sure he has it.

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

A little off topic, but Lou, your dinner looks great and I have one question: Do you grate your own parm regg, and if so, how do you get it so fine? They can do it like that for me at the store if I hand them a hunk of cheese, but I'd rather do it myself just before serving so it's fresh. Either my microplane or box grater work fine (different textures), but to serve in a bowl at the table for company I'd prefer a more granular version like yours.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Foodon:
    Sorry, I don't Grate my own anymore.
    My daughter brought it up for me. It is Locatelli Brand,
    Parmesan.
    It is from an Italian Deli, near Philly.
    They grate it fresh daily and put it into 1/2 lb. Bags.
    Think it was $6.95

I also use Boar's Head Brand, Importd Parmesan.
    They have good Cheese's.

The Hard Sharp Provolone is very good and
    the Slicing Provolone is great for Sandwiches and Hoagies.
    It has a very slight Sharp Taste.
    The NY Brand,slicing Provolone is Creamier. I use that on Pizza.

Lou

• ann_t
    14 years ago

Foodonastump, I buy Parmesan Reggiano by the kilo and grate as needed using a variety of different microplane graters depending on the texture I want. But when I need a larger quantity I cut it into pieces and process it in a mini Kitchenaid processor. It produces the granular texture you are looking for.

Ann

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

FOAS, to get that consistency I use my food processor blade. It turns out parm with that granular look rather than a shred.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Foodon:
    Have you tried a Blender ?

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

FOAS, I'd recommend using the food processor for grating large quantities of Parmigiana Reggiano, too. Generally, though, I prefer to use the microplane to grate just what I need.

Lori

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I also grate parmesan with a microplane, but Elery bought a huge chunk of Asiago which I grated and froze and the food processor worked like a champ for that.

I also always peel tomatoes, I sure don't want any of that texture from the peel or I wouldn't eat it at all, I have that funny texture thing going on.

I do grow and can my own tomatoes for any of my cooking uses, from chili to vegetable soup. I never use commercially canned tomatoes because I just have too many of my own good organic and homegrown tomatoes. Amanda does use more of them than I do, I probably ought to teach her to make spaghetti sauce, although she's perfectly happy with Prego or Ragu.

I do make tomato sauce and even catsup and tonight my first batch of salsa for the year will be going into the canner. Every tomato will be peeled...

And I do not like cinnamon in tomato sauce, so I'm sure I don't have any Greek background, LOL.

Annie

• lindac
    14 years ago

AACK....between this thread and the lasagna thread, I am now craving moussaka!

• lsr2002
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your answers about peeling. I thought they should be peeled but can't imagine peeling a whole bushel. Right now we are picking 4-6 tomatoes a day but there are many, many more (over 100, I'm sure) that are large and still green. I'll use what I can fresh and put the extras whole in the freezer until I think I have enough to make and can six pints of sauce. I did learn from the NCHP site that pints of tomato sauce need to be processed for 45 minutes at my altitude.

Lee

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Lee, I've never frozen tomatoes but I'm told that if you toss them into the freezer, when you thaw them the skins slip right off, no scalding necessary.

Annie

• jessyf
    14 years ago

Lee, when our maters were going gangbusters last summer, I found I could dunk three in the hot water, take them out and put them aside, then work on another three that had been sitting for a few minutes that had cooled off enough to handle. Three in, three sitting, three peeling. Took a few times to figure the exact amount of seconds they should be in the water - not too long (too hot!) or too short (unpeelable).

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

Lee, I peel a bushel for my chunky tomatoes and it really is amazing how little time it takes. Maybe a half hour for a full bushel.

Drop them in boiling water and then plunge in cold before peeling

What Annie says is also true.....if you freeze them the skins come right off when thawed.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Sharon, that's how I do them too, into boiling water and then into ice water and they cool so I can peel them.

I have salsa on tonight's agenda....

Annie

• loagiehoagie
    14 years ago

Definitely peel the tomatoes. It really doesn't take that long when you get a system going. Somebody last year convinced me to just pulverize everything (excluding the core) in the FP and then simmer down. I found the finished product bitter. Arghhhh...just remember everybody giving advice is not 'right'. I would never do that again. Ruined an entire years' worth of sauce for me. Seeds don't bother me (for some they do) but skins are nasty IMHO.

Duane

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Duane, well that's not fun! I traveled across the state to pick murcott oranges at peak harvest time. Worked all weekend canning only to mess up with the HWB resulting in cases of jars of spoiled murcott marmalade.

• lsr2002
    14 years ago

Thanks for your continuing tips and advice. Sharon, I'm amazed you can peel so fast. And Annie, queen of canning, you just plain amaze me at all you do.

I did expect to peel them, just wanted to make sure that was the case. I guess if I canned at all, I would have positively known that.

Argh, Duane and Cathy, at least I know mistakes that I make will be limited to SMALL batch quantities. It would be awful to lose as much as you two did. I've never even heard of murcotts, but I do love orange marmalade.

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

Oh boy. The tomato sauce debate .... again.

First, when I am going to do a bunch of peeling, ahead of time I freeze a few containers of water to make blocks of ice so that the ice bath stays cold longer. Plus you don't have to deal with that fishing ice cubes when you fish for your fruit and such. If I have cardboard containers like juice half gallons or milk I use them, but if I don't I'll use liter or two liter plastic bottles with the outside scrubbed very well. Cardboard I peel the cardboard, plastic I just throw whole thing in a big pot with the cold water.

The long cooking tasting acidic and like tomato paste and such has never been a problem for me when I use my own or store bought canned tomatoes or puree. I don't usually use paste, but sometimes I will use it. Either end product isn't acidic. I do make my tomato sauce with mostly chicken or turkey broth for most of the extra liquid. I use plenty of liquid if I'm going to cook it a long time. I also often use a few pieces of chicken or pork in the sauce as it cooks. I don't use black pepper, oregano, onions, or sausage. Don't know if that makes a difference. I only use tons of garlic, ground beef, tons of my frozen basil[with lots of stems from the beginning], broth, some romano and salt. More basil when done. I don't use fancy tomatoes or puree. I often use Acme's store brand puree and tomatoes. One other thing I think adds to a mellow sauce is adding a bit of romano while cooking. Btw Lou, Locatelli is romano not parm. Smiles. I prefer romano to parm in most cases. Maybe because my family if from a village less than a hundred miles from Rome. Smiles. In any case I don't buy the long cooking equals highly acidic and tasting like paste. Perhaps it's other ingredients when a sauce is long cooked that does it. Who knows. As we all said and know, as long as you and those you cook for like your sauce..... Way too many variations for ANY generalities to be universal IMNSHO.

• readinglady
    14 years ago

Yesterday I blanched and peeled 30+ pounds of tomatoes. I ended up with 2 gallons of seedless puree which tomorrow will go into sauce with Italian sausage, Cabernet and a bunch of other things.

I just wanted to mention for those who do can their sauces that the flavors of spices and herbs often change in the canning process. Some flavors are dulled and some are heightened. It can be really disappointing to can a sauce you worked hard on only to discover the flavor when you open the jar is not what you anticipated.

Carol

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Coconut:
    I was half asleep when I peeped in here.

Your right. I think it was Pecorino Romano.
    Locatelli is a Brand Name.
    Whatever ??? I like the taste. Not too particular, anyway.
    Glad to have the Food and Cheese.

Most of the time I use Chento or Tutto Russo Tomatoes,
    for my Sauce.

I always add the Cheese, when the Sauce is almost done.
    Has less chance to Burn.

I have to make a pot that stirs inself.

Have a Good one , LOU

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Foodon:
    Did you get my emails about the Wooden Spoon ???
    Lou