Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic?

Posted by Lindac (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 19:02

How do you tell if a head of garlic is going to be all nice fat cloves like the ones you see....or when you use the 5 or 6 cloves showing, you get all those tiny little slivers that are too small to even think of peeling?
Is tehre a variety to look for? A clue in looking at the outside of the head?
I can mostly always only buy the soft neck variety.
Hints?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic?

Linda, You can usually tell just by looking. But if not, just feel. You can feel the divide between cloves. Most of the garlic that I buy has five to six large cloves.

o

If you're buying garlic in a grocery store, you may not have much choice. But as far as softneck goes, there are several types. The most common is silverskin and it does tend to have mere slivers for cloves. The artichoke type usually has larger cloves.

o

Thanks....guess I'll have to make the trip to City Market or Whole Foods soon and stock up on the good stuff.

o

I look for the hard neck type of garlic, that usually has the big cloves, and is extra tasty. Did you find any?

o

I look for hard neck too....but haven't found any...
Next year I WILL grow some....need to plant it this fall....that right?

o

Yes, that's right. I received my order a couple of weeks ago and I'll plant in late September/early October (in California).

o

you could use powdered. bwahhaahha!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm running away full pace.............

o

LOL Rob! And if she runs out of garlic powder, just add some Old Bay...

o

I saw local hard neck garlic in my supermarket this morning - $10.50/lb. No wonder most of us get the 3/$1 Chinese stuff....

o

Lindac, back to your original question, yes, you will find
tiny underdeveloped cloves in most any garlic you choose.
Toss it and let more important issues consume the rest of your life. And no, growing garlic at home will not rid you
of the possibility of such catastrophic events.
(forgive me for getting a little melodramatic on you,
you know I love you....please don't bite).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here