SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

"Living Butter Lettuce"

sooz
9 years ago

There's a local sale on this kind of lettuce and seeing the "root ball" (see photo) I was wondering if the root ball could be planted and we'd get another head of lettuce.

I heard somewhere that you can cut the tops off carrots, replant the tops, and they'd grow a new carrot, but I don't know if anyone was just teasing this city gal. I've never tried it.

Along the lines of the carrot story (if it's true), I was wondering if you could do the same with lettuce. Thanks! At the very least, this post could be just for a good laugh, and I'll laugh along with you! :O)

Smiles,
Sooz

Comments (4)

• annie1992
    9 years ago

sooz, I don't know if the commercial lettuce is treated with something to keep it from sprouting, like commercial potatoes are, but I can't imagine that it is as lettuce is something you WANT to sprout.

I've not tried it, but my lettuce is all "cut and come again", so as long as I cut it, it comes back. I'm betting that if you plant that root, you'll get leaves growing again.

However, if the conditions are not right, lettuce does tend to get bitter and/or bolt, so if you grow it outdoors and it's hot, you could get bitter leaves or it could send up flower stalks instead of leaves.

Annie

• sooz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input, Annie! I may just have DH stick it in one of the raised beds, and see if it takes, or if it's too hot to do much of anything. :O)

Smiles,
    Sooz

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

I think that you've cut off the growth crown and so doubt that it will do anything more. I've successfully used all the bigger side leaves and then planted the core/roots - with the center growing leaves still intact. Right now it is too hot to do so, but might do again when weather cools down.

I've also just left the center growing in it's greenhouse box and had it stay fresh and usable in the house.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Yes, I'm not sure it ever works with heading varieties, but even with leaf lettuce you need to leave a couple of inches if you cut all the leaves and want it to regrow. I think that one has been scalped too deeply to regrow.

Still, it won't hurt to try if you've got the space.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor