Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
xpost at harvest:help i have an abundance of cukes and don't know

Posted by loves2cook4six (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 18:53

what else to make.

I've done 18 quarts of Chase's dill Pickles, 12 quarts of Sweet Bread and Butter Pickles (half of them are HOT with added peppers), 13 pints and 2 quarts of relish and I still have about 6-8 pounds of cucumbers left.

What else should I make

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: xpost at harvest:help i have an abundance of cukes and don't

You sure have enough pickles, I think, and my secondary standby is always sweet relish, which you've also covered.

I have a friend who washes them, slices them, covers them with Italian dressing and freezes them in ziplock bags. I wasn't wild for them, but I don't care for Italian dressing all that much.

My girls ate all the extra ones I could grow in the form of "tuna boats", which were simply peeled cucumber halves with the seeds removed and then the cucumber was filled with tuna salad.

Annie

o

I feel your pain. One the best day, we pull in 12 cukes and now we are averaging 4 per day. The neighbors either love us or they are hiding from me.....

So make friends and hand them out if you are overwhelmed. Some of the older neighbors that no longer garden have been so thankful. Going to a party? Take cucumbers in sour cream to share.

My problem is an overload of chard and collard greens. My freezer is getting overstuffed.

o

Sauted with chives
1 kg cukes
1 bunch chives
small bunch parsley
20g butter
soup spoonsthick cream
1 soup spoon mustard
s&p

Peel and de-seed the cukes and cut unto sticks. Snip chives and chop parsley. Heat the butter in a large pan and cook cukes over a high heat for no more than 2 minutes. Add the cream and heat through. Off the heat, add the mustard and herbs and season.

A sauce that is heaven with salmon and very pretty too.
1 cuke peeled, half diced and half liquidized.
Add butter to a pan and fry the diced cuke a couple of minutes.
Add a spoon flour and cook. Add the liquidized cuke and a splash of white wine. Spoon over a little creme fraiche.
Delicious with garden peas, salmon and new potatoes.

o

Soaked cucumbers-slice cukes thinly and put in a bowl with some salt. Let sit 3o minutes or so. Drain. Add some cider vinegar. Doesn't have to cover them. This can also be made with added onions. Serve that with a little sour cream. Absolutely delicious.

o

I've been dehydrating cucumber slices. I use a cutting mandolin to make slices an even thickness so they dry evenly. Place the small end slices on one tray and the mid-size and large-size slices on another tray because the smaller slices will dry sooner than the larger slices. We use them like chips with a yogurt dip, or crumbled on a salad instead of croutons.

-Grainlady

o

Make cucumber soup and freeze it. Make sure to add some dill. Can be served hot or cold. Don't have a specific recipe to post as I have about 6 of them and it seems every time I make it, it comes out different, but good. I like the ones best that have sauteed onions in it. Some are creamier than others...those with yogurt are a little more tart than those with milk.

o

We like this simple relish. Good in curried chicken salad, or mix w/ yogurt for raita. This year I tried a batch omitting the onion and using more cukes, and replacing the mustards and cumin with some garlic, dill seed, lemon juice and a little preserved lemon. Hopefully it will be tzatziki-ish.

Indian-Style Cucumber Relish

From Small Batch Preserving by Ellie Topp & Margaret Howard

6 cups diced, peeled cucumber (8-12 medium pickling cucumbers)
2 cups thinly sliced onion
1 tablespoon pickling salt (I use kosher)
2 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
2 tsp black mustard seeds
2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
Place cucumber and onion in a non-reactive bowl and sprinkle with the salt. Let sit for 4 hours (or up to overnight), stirring occasionally. Drain vegetables, rinse twice and drain completely.

Combine vinegar sugar, cumin and mustard in a non-reactive pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add vegetables and return to a boil for 30 seconds.

Fill clean, hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Process half-pints or pints in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Makes 6 half-pint jars.

This post was edited by katiec on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 17:36

o

I have a T&T recipe for Cucumber Yogurt soup, that even people who say they usually don't like cold soups have liked.

Makes about 36 oz which should serve about 6 as an appetizer.
This recipe assumes the cukes are approx 2.5" in diameter and about 8" long, with the more random size/shape cukes I was getting from the garden last year, its anyone's guess.

Cold Cucumber Yogurt Soup

3 large cucumbers (peeled and seeded)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain greek yogurt
1/3 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp crushed garlic
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp dill weed

After peeling and seeding cucumbers, chop them into 1/2" cubes and place in colander. Sprinkle all of the salt on the cucumber pieces and let sit for 10 minutes. (to draw out some of the moisture and any bitterness)

Next place salted cucumbers in food processor or blender with all of the remaining ingredients, blend until desired smoothness.

Chill for about an hour and serve.

o

Gosh, I use your recipe for bread and butter pickles and would lay in a boatload of them if I had a bumper crop. DH says they taste just like the ones his great aunt made when he was a kid. So, my answer is, more bread and butter pickles!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here