Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
corn salad - cook it?

Posted by foodonastump (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 18:47

I'm planning a cold corn salad/relish/salsa/whatever as a side for a potential beach dinner. (Pulled pork being the main focus.) I don't have a particular recipe in mind, was just planning on tossing it with a bit of oil, vinegar, cherry or grape tomatoes, red onion and some herbs, possibly a little fresh mozz, but I'm on the fence about whether to use the corn raw straight off the cob or cook it a bit. I've thought about frying or broiling just until it's got a bit of a char. Thoughts?

Recipes welcome, but I want to keep it pretty simple and "fresh" tasting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: corn salad - cook it?

Grill it and cut of off the cob or use TJ's frozen roasted corn.

o

I'd also give it a quick char on a hot grill leaving the corn basically raw. With pulled pork, I'd add minced jalapeno & lime (instead of the vinegar) with cilantro and leave the cheese for another time.

/tricia

o

For corn salads, I usually cut the raw corn off the cob first and then give it a couples of minutes on high in a covered dish in the microwave.

o

For corn salads, I usually cut the raw corn off the cob first and then give it a couples of minutes on high in a covered dish in the microwave.

o

Raw corn has a tendency to turn starchy.

dcarch

o

Thanks all. I'm thinking a quick char on the grill. Tricia - Thanks for knocking some sense into me re the cheese; evidently all the talk of caprese salads this summer got the best of me for a moment!

o

I would also do a quick char on the grill. I always do that and put a few bags in the freezer for salads.

o

Quick, easy, simple and very tasty.

CORN RELISH/SALAD
1/4 C. white wine vinegar
1 1/2 T. sugar
A little olive oil
S & P
Add:
2 C. grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
2 ears fresh corn kernels
1/2 C slivered or chopped red onion
2 T. minced fresh parsley
1 T. chopped chives
1 T. thinly sliced basil
Toss to mix.

jude

o

This is the one of the best salads I know. I found it on Food and Wine's site (link below)

Warm Corn Chowder Salad with Bacon and Cider Vinegar

1. 4 thick slices of bacon (4 ounces), cut crosswise 1/2 inch thick
2. 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
3. 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch dice
4. 8 ears of corn, kernels removed
5. 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
6. 1/4 cup cider vinegar
7. 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
8. Salt
1. In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderately low heat, stirring a few times, until it is crisp, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels and let drain.
2. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat in the skillet. Add the potatoes and cook over moderate heat until they start to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes longer, until almost tender. Add the diced red peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes and peppers are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the corn kernels and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 3 minutes.
3. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl and stir in the onion, cider vinegar, crushed red pepper and bacon. Season the salad with salt and serve.

I just served this today to vegetarian friends. I subbed a handful of shitake mushrooms for the bacon, and stirred in a tablespoon of white miso. Everyone took seconds while groaning that they were stuffed. We had this with grilled swordfish and lemon caper sauce.

Cheryl

Here is a link that might be useful: corn salad

o

Here is a really good corn salad from Penzeys. Found in the summer catalog. When I made it I used fresh corn cooked and cut off the cob.
Murphy

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/recipes/r-penzeysMexicanCornSalad.html

o

IF you need another idea, I've made this one several times and it is wonderful whether served as a salad on the side or with tortilla chips as an appetizer. I do add a little honey to the mix, I like the sweet hot combination and it highlights the mango a little more.

Alexa

Roasted Corn, Black Bean & Mango Salad

From EatingWell:

This simple, fresh-tasting salad adds delicious variety to grilled foods, such as salmon, halibut, chicken or pork. Browning the corn in a skillet gives it a nutty, caramelized flavor that contrasts with the sweetness of the mango.

8 servings, generous 1/2 cup each

Active Time: 45 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups corn kernels, (from 3 ears)
1 large ripe mango, (about 1 pound), peeled and diced
1 15-ounce or 19-ounce can black beans, rinsed
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 small canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, (see Ingredient Note), drained and chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preparation
1.Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer the corn mixture to a large bowl. Stir in mango, beans, onion, bell pepper, lime juice, chipotle, cilantro, cumin and salt.

Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Serve at room temperature.
Ingredient Note: Chipotle peppers are smoked jalapenos with a fiery taste that are canned in adobo sauce. Look for them in the Hispanic section of large supermarkets and in specialty stores.

o

Can you stand one more...LOL!
It's not a "recipe" because it's just something I toss together...
But..about 4 ears of cooked corn cut from the cob.
cup of cooked black beans...if you use canned, rinse well
1 red onion, chopped ...about 1/2 to 2/3 cup
3 or 4 jalapenos, chopped...or if you are a heat wuss, 1 jalapeno and 1 small green bell pepper
3 or 4 Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
handful of chopped cilantro, chopped...or if you think cilantro tastes like soap, use fresh basil
Sprinkle of kosher salt
drizzle of good olive oil and
Juice of one lime....or 2 if they are not juicy limes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here