Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
getting lard that is really white

Posted by vaherbmom (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 18:31

Hi,

I've rendered lard from my own hogs a couple times but I have yet to be able to get it really white and pure-looking like what they sell in the store.

I usually use a crockpot for part of the process and the oven for the rest. My lard does taste good.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: getting lard that is really white

No. You can't make white lard.

Commercial lard is bleached.

Try steam the fat out instead of frying. Steamed lard is lighter in color.

dcarch

o

I render lard regularly. Leaf lard is about the lightest and comes out the color of cream. Fatback is a little darker, a pale tan or dark cream. I never get the chalk white of commercial lard which is usually lard mixed with hydrogenated oil.

Cheryl

o

Ok, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. I like to read Edna Lewis and similar cookbooks and the photos always show lard that looks white.

o

How fortunate you are to have yummy, good-tasting lard.
Don't worry about the color--there is probably a flavor sacrifice involved in getting the creamy to white--a tradeoff not worthy in my humble opinion.

o

I've also rendered lard and have never gotten that intensely white stuff you buy from stores. I always suspected it was "fake" in some way, most likely from the commercial process of rendering.

Mine was always creamy-to-light-beige, so I think you're doing it just right. You don't notice the color when your piecrust browns. (grin)

Annie

o

The lard I rendered myself was always about the color of mayonnaise. The chunks of fat from around the kidney were the whitest...but the rest of the trimmings were more colored.
Commercial lard has fuller's earth ( a fine clay often used to remove grease spots on raw wood...or fabrics that can't be washed) and then run through a filter to remove the fuller's earth and with it the color. It's not bleached in the way of chemical bleaching....more like "cleaned of color".....but the color has no flavor that I can detect!
Linda C

o

dcarch - Just how would one steam fat to make lard at home?

Nancy

o

Nancy, A dear friend gave me some Berkshire heritage leaf fat.

This was how I did it:

Using two cleavers, (you can use a meat grinder and chill the fat first) I chopped the fat to ground meat consistency. Then using a pressure cooker to cook for a few hours.

The first round of fat was very white.

The remaining fat was rendered in the oven to get the rest of the fat out and cracklins. This second rendering was yellowish cream color.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here