Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pickles

Posted by tami_ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 18:15

We stopped at a nursery yesterday that had fresh produce. DH bought 10# of tomatoes, I bought 3 small zucchini and a qt of pickling cukes. We made 2 pint jars of refrigerator pickles. DH decided to put some fresh dill in one jar. I wouldn't let him put it in both jars in case it didn't work. His mom made the refrigerator pickles all summer.

Does anyone have a good recipe for refrigerator DILL pickles? I don't want to do any I have to crock, ect.

Tami

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pickles

Refrigerator Dill Pickles

Ingredients:

pickling cucumber
4-9 cloves garlic, 2 to 3 per jar [slice in half]
1 T McCormick Pickling Spice
1 head dill [several sprigs per jar]
2 quarts water
1 cup vinegar
1/3 cup salt
1/4 cup sugar

Directions:

1. Use large canning jar. [filled 4 - 32 oz (1 quart) mason jars with about 1 cup left over]

2. Place 2-3 cloves garlic, pickling spice, and a couple sprigs of dill on the bottom of each jar.

3. Boil together 2 quarts water, vinegar, salt, and sugar.

4. Stir, turn off and let cool.

5. Pack jars with cucumbers and pour cooled solution to completely cover cucumbers.

6. Refrigerate and ready in 3-4 days.

o

Tami, I like this one. It's higher in vinegar than LKZZ' pickles and comes from skeip, who posts here sometimes. I'm not a huge fan of dill pickles but Elery and Ashley both love these. I know you can't have the garlic, I'd leave that out.

THE BEST REFRIGERATOR PICKLES

4 Cups thinly sliced Cucumbers
1/2 Medium Onion, thinly sliced
3 Cloves Garlic, sliced
1 Teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns
1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 Cup White Vinegar
1/2 Cup Water
3 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Dill, or three Dill Heads

In a small saucepan, combine Water, Vinegar, Sugar and Salt, bring just to a boil and shut off heat.

In a quart jar place Peppercorns, Garlic, half the sliced Cucumbers, the Onion and Dill, and the rest of the Cucumbers, in that order. Pour in the hot Brine, leaving 1/4 inch headroom. Use a chopstick or knife to remove air bubbles. Store in the refrigerator. Best if allowed to stand a day for the flavors to come together. Makes one quart.

Annie

o

Well I lost that post.

Thank you both! I will give them a try. Our batch is ready to try. Maybe tonight. The only dill pickles I can buy are Mt Olive brand. Good old Vlassic uses garlic but doesn't list it in the ingredients. Opened a jar a couple of years ago and the whole kitchen reeked.

Tami

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here