Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Separating Yolks From Whites

Posted by jimster (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 18:15

Although the normal way of separating eggs serves me just fine, the one in this video is kind of clever.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Separating Eggs Video

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Separating Yolks From Whites

Spiffy! I'm going to try that. Since my stroke dealing with eggs can be a challenge.

/tricia

o

That is too funny, and it works.

o

Cool video. If you have difficulty cracking and going shell half to shell half... just crack into a bowl and use your hand to lift out yolk.

o

I don't go shell half to shell half, too much risk of breaking the yolk on the sharp shell edge. I crack the egg into my clean hand and let the white leak out through my slightly apart fingers. Brush any remaining white gently off the yolk, Bob's your uncle :-)

o

Jim, The bottle trick is not perfect.

I can't find a bottle big enough for my ostrich eggs.

dcarch :-)

o

Worked for me, but it can be a little finicky. With my eggs the white was pretty thick, so on my first attempt I sucked in the yolk and the white followed, and as the white tried to fall back out the yolk broke. Second attempt I was careful to suck in just the yolk, but the white still hung on - almost the whole egg's worth dangling from the bottle! I shook it gently and after a while it let go without breaking the yolk. Third attempt looked like it was going to go the same way but the white let go.

Once the yolk is separated from the white it's easy to pick up and transfer from plate to plate like she does in the video. Neat trick.

o

Cool....first thing I thought of was getting that bottle clean. I'll stick with my egg separators which I toss in the dishwasher.

o

Jessica, that's too funny -getting the bottle clean was exactly what came to my mind too - maybe that's why we're friends. :)

Oly

o

I do the yolk back and forth between the shells trick. I'm pretty good at it. I don't want to handle raw eggs. It has a major ew factor for me. (I also won't mix meatloaf with my hands. I will knead bread dough, though.)

The bottle trick is cute but I'd make a mess of it, I'm sure! I have an egg separator gadget somewhere. I think Alice uses it. And there is that cup with nostrils egg separator out there...

Why is it hard to get the bottle clean? What am I missing?

Eileen

o

OMG OLY where you been gurl LOL

o

A very 'kewl' trick, and I will HAVE to try it.
But I'm guessing, from some of the other posts,
that 'smallish' eggs work best. I too, often
break the yolk when transferring from half shell
to half shell.

o

The bottles we have here in the US have smaller openings if you notice the opening of much larger. Maybe I'll have to go check out some soda bottles though so see if any are larger but everything I have here has a smaller opening probably no more than an inch diameter. Just measured the bottle I have and it's just under one inch so that's very small. Seems like a great idea though if you have the right bottle.

o

Arkansas_girl, if you use a plastic water bottle, you can cut the top off which would yield a larger top opening. To smooth the edge after cutting, just melt it down a little.

o

Juice bottles, bottled water bottles and other drink bottles come in various sizes. For example, I have a small orange juice bottle whose opening is 1 1/4 inches.

Jim

o

I love this trick - a regular 16.9 oz plastic water bottle works just fine for me.

After I separate enough eggs for the recipe, the bottle goes straight into the recycling bin.

o

I love this trick - a regular 16.9 oz plastic water bottle works just fine for me.

After I separate enough eggs for the recipe, the bottle goes straight into the recycling bin.

o

Well anyway, all you have to do is crack an egg into a bowl and use a spoon and take the yolk out with the spoon. It really isn't that hard to separate them.

o

I showed the video to DH and he instantly had to try it. He used a 16 oz. plastic water bottle and on his first attempt, he sucked almost the entire egg into the bottle. On subsequent tries, it worked perfectly for both of us on very fresh size Large eggs.

I'll probably continue using the shell to shell separation method for one or two eggs but for lots like a chiffon cake, I would use the bottle method.

o

I don't mind handling raw eggs so if I need one or two I use the "shell to shell" method. Otherwise I crack into a bowl and just scoop the yolks out with my hand.

I just had to try this, though. Sure enough, like the microwave corn trick, it worked like a charm for Elery. Didn't work for me. (sigh) I broke two egg yolks and gave it up.

Annie

o

How about this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: snotty nose separator

o

Sherry!!! I'm so glad to see you again! Even if you do have a snotty nose, LOL.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here