Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need a summer dessert idea

Posted by mabeldingeldine (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 18:13

I'm in a bit of a cooking funk these days. I am looking for ideas for a desert to take to a get together tomorrow, maybe a fruit based dessert. One complication is my host is lactose intolerant. I have fresh Meyer lemons, fresh but a little un-ripe yet plums, and frozen blueberries, peaches or strawberries. Does anyone have an idea for me? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need a summer dessert idea

Blueberry pie...peach pie...Summer tort with either peaches or blue berries or both.

Summer Torte by Marion Burros
1 stick butter, softened (I always use unsalted)
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup flour; sifted
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
pinch of salt
fruit of choice; sliced into wedges (I used about 7 plums. Peaches, nectarines,strawberries all work great and in combination)
cinnamon sugar for top
Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and add sugar. Beat well. Add eggs and beat. Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to batter. Mix. Spoon globs to greased 9 or 10 inch springform. Use a knife to spread batter to cover entire pan. Arrange fruit on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (amount depends on the sweetness of the fruit).
Bake for 45 min.

o

Here is something easy, showy, and decadent.

Stack six or so sheets of phyllo dough, with melted butter brushed between sheets, rotating each sheet relative to the previous. Peel apple. Core apple. Place apple in center of stacked sheets. Fill core with sugar and cinnamon powder. Gather sheets at top of apple and crimp prettily, using more melted butter to glue if needed. Bake until fork easily enters apple and phyllo is browned.

There is fruit in there, somewhere.

o

I'd make blueberry crisp or a peach cobbler, maybe both. the crisp is wonderful warm with some vanilla ice cream but it's equally good all by itself.

Annie

o

For something light, make fruit snow. Fruit puree mixed with stiff egg white, add sugar if necessary.

o

These are all super ideas. I was rooting around in the freezer and discovered some puff pastry, too. I may just go ahead and try that fruit torte which seems so popular -- the ingredients are similar to an old recipe I have kicking around for Berry Pudding, which is delicious but not very pretty. I need to get motivated but being awake at 3:30 this morning will not help the situation I suspect.

o

Thanks for the ideas, I ended up making a Plum Cake Tatin (Ina Garten recipe), which disappointed, as even with unripe plums and less sugar, it was too sweet. It was very pretty, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: In Garten Plum Cake Tatin

o

For what it's worth mabel, I have never had a dessert that was too sweet. I don't even understand the concept that well!
Dessert is supposed to be achingly tooth sweet.
I hate bready, unsweet desserts (plain biscotti)- I feel I've been cheated.
My favorite dessert is a praline or two.

So, hopefully, someone loved it!

o

Well...I agree with Beez...too sweet, to chocolatey and too garlic-ey are not concepts I understand.
But when you saw a recipe for a 9 inch pie pan with a cake and fruit AND 1 3/4 cups of sugar....didn't you have a clue that it would be very very sweet?
Next time make that Summer Torte...all the people on this forum who have given it raves can't be wrong....but I bet I would have loved it!!

o

LOL, yes, I knew it would be sweet, but I wanted it to look pretty and it did! Everyone at the party o0oed and aaahd, and they ate it right up.

o

...*sigh*....and you didn't save a piece for me!
Best I save that sickeningly sweet recipe....just in case I want a dessert that makes my teeth ache!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here