Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WHAT causes this smell?

Posted by arlinek (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 17:59

I've searched and searched and can't find the answer. SOME brands of yellow corn tortillas have a very strong, offensive odor - similar to ammonia. I've been told it's not the white corn ones, only the yellow. I even called a company that had it in theirs and he briefly explained that normally only "high-ql'ty" ones have this but I didn't get "why". They both (white and yellow) clearly have lime in them but why don't ALL yellow corn tortillas have this odor? It's so bad that we cannot eat them or even get near the package if it's one of "those".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WHAT causes this smell?

You're not going to like this answer. That taste (or smell) your getting is lye. Don't hold my feet to the fire, but, I vaguely remember something about lye being used in processing the corn. Maybe someone else can enlighten us on the subnject.

o

Bumping this back up ...

o

"My grandparents own a tortilla manufacturing company and I know from experience and personally preparing the mixes that the bleach smell comes from a dough conditioner called PZ-44. It's used to make the dough more pliable and easy to work with."

Did you find this answer? And the link below. Maybe this is why.

Here is a link that might be useful: PZ-44

o

Many years ago I lived in Ireland for most of my junior year in college. I lived on brown bread. The recipe was disarmingly simple (can't remember it now), but when I made it at home, back in CT, it reeked of ammonia. I never tried again.

Jo

o

Jo, welcome back.

o

I bought a box of El Paso taco shells once, opened them up and threw them out immediately. They smelled awful....so artificial, and chemically.

I had a store-brand box in the cupboard and they have no smell at all. Not only cheaper, but better tasting.

o

For clarification, Jasdip, et al: I'm only referring to FRESH ones. Sorry didn't think to mention that. Will ck. your link, Barnmom; thanks.

o

Oh, sorry arlinek. I mis-read. I was talking about the taco shells. And boy do they ever stink. Probably the same effect as the fresh tortillas.

I haven't noticed any smell with my tortillas that I use....again, just a no-name, store brand. I'll be watching though!

o

The lime in tortillas isn't citrus lime, it's mineral lime, calcium hydroxide. It can be a bit uhhh tangy? I don't know why some smell more than others.

o

I think it's a dough conditioner. Not the one I listed but ammonium sulfate used as a dough conditioner. It says it has no odor but how can that be?

Here is a link that might be useful: Food additives.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here