Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flan for a Group

Posted by jeri (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 17:57

I've made the individual ramekins for a small gathering with great success. Now, I would like to make Flan for a party of 30. I was thinking of using 10" glass pie plates - would you agree with this approach? Do you think one 10 inch pie plate for would provide 10 nice slices?

The big question I have is the syrup that pools around the bottom of the flan after it is inverted. Serving individual ramekins means there will be plenty of this syrup for everyone. How does one insure this with a pie plate? Can you make extra syrup somehow and ladle a bit over each slice of flan on the plates?

As always - Thank you for all the help!

Jeri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flan for a Group

What about this? You could just make the extra caramel and pour, but I also thought this was an especially nice presentation for a crowd.

edited to change link. original one went with the photo, but directions seemed to make only a pie pan's worth. Here's one to bake in a 2 qt dish like the fluted one pictured:

Here is a link that might be useful: Party Flan

This post was edited by olychick on Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 14:13

o

I think a round cake pan would be preferable to a pie plate.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Flan

o

I just saw a recipe somewhere...for flan in a souffle dish. I think I can find it later, let me know if you want it. The one pictured above is gorgeous!

o

You certainly could make straight custard flan without the surrounding caramel sauce. Then, separately make the caramel sauce and refrigerate. Pour over each serving as presented or pour over the entire inverted custard . That's how a local "gourmet" store sells it: custard with the separate sauce poured over.

o

Here, we make big crème caramels! Use a souffle dish or a pretty one like above.

For 4-6 people :
5 fl oz milk
1/2 pint cream
4 large eggs
1 1/2 oz soft brown sugar
1 tbls water
4 oz white sugar
vanilla essence
Put the white sugar in a pan and heat until it melts and becomes a uniform brown colour. Take the pan off the heat and gently add the water. Pour into the base of your dish.
Put milk and cream into a pan and heat gently while you whisk together the eggs, brown sugar and vanilla in a bowl.
When the milk/cream is steaming, pour it onto the eggs whisking then pour over the caramel. Place dish in roasting pan and pour cold water round the dish. Bake at 150°c for about 1 hour. Chill.

o

Thanks everyone!

Wow OlyChick! That sure is a good looking Flan!

I ran a test with a pie plate - I wanted to make it 3 days in advance to be sure that would work too. We just enjoyed it last night. The good news was there was plenty of sauce to go around! I guess this should not surprise me as I used the same recipe I had for the individual flans, so there should be the same amount of sauce, but I just didn’t think it through I guess.

The pie plate was less than ideal because it was too shallow. This made it difficult to get into the water bath and made a mess when inverted.

For this event, I will be going with the suggested cake pan even though I’m sure a souffle dish would work too. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here