Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I use previously frozen milk and cream for making ice cream?

Posted by gellchom (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 17:44

My incredibly generous friends gave me a Cuisinart ice cream maker and the Jeni's cookbook for my birthday last month. Fun! So far I've made vanilla ice cream and watermelon-lemonade sorbet (heavenly!), and I just made a batch of Gravel Road (salty caramel with smoked almonds), my favorite. My friend had put a post-it on that page.

Anyway, I have leftover heavy cream and whole milk, neither of which I anticipate using anytime soon. Can I freeze them and thaw them (I know it takes days) and then shake them up and use them to make ice cream?

I've frozen skim milk before, but (maybe I didn't shake it well) it didn't seem quite the same. Would it matter for making ice cream?

Thanks in advance! I did google the question, but I know you all will give me the best advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I use previously frozen milk and cream for making ice cre

Never done it....b ut it you can mix the stuff and make ice cream with it why couldn't you freeze it before mixing with the ingredients for ice cream?

o

I've never done it either, but I agree with LindaC, I don't see any reason why you couldn't. My only question would be whether it would make a good custard base and I think that would be OK too, although I've never done it.

Annie

o

I can tell you that previously frozen cream will do fine as a custard base. I accidently let a quart of cream freeze. I moved it to a different part of the fridge to let it thaw. When it thawed, I made creme brulee. It worked fine.

The only thing I discovered was it needs to be shaken vigorously to re-distribute the butterfat, or whatever it is. May not hurt to hit it briefly with the immersion blender.

o

Okay, I know how ignorant this sounds, but when you all talk about "custard base," are you referring to the base I use for the ice cream? I think of eggs when I think of custard.

o

Some folks, like my mom, only make ice cream with a custard base. Mom thinks anything else is not worth eating. I, being the modern, cutting-edge, foodista (that's a joke folks!), have made ice cream with such exotic ingredients as Greek yogurt, eschewing a cooked custard base.

Below is a cooked custard recipe from The Kitchn:

Basic Custard Ice Cream Base

3 cups dairy (whole milk, heavy cream, or a mix)
1 cup sugar
8 egg yolks
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)

Have a strainer in a bowl ready over an ice bath.

Bring the dairy to a simmer in a medium pot over medium-high heat--about 5 minutes. Watch it carefully so it doesn't boil over. Remove from heat as soon as you see bubbles forming and let sit until it's cooled to room temperature--about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, beat the eggs, sugar, and pinch of salt into a thick paste. When the dairy has cooled, stream it in while stirring the egg mixture.

Once combined, return everything to the pan and cook over medium-low heat. Stir gently in an "S" shape, being sure to scrape the bottom of the pan.

The sauce is ready when it looks silky, has thickened so it coats the back of a wooden spoon, and has reached a temperature of about 170-degrees. Strain it into a bowl set over an ice water bath and stir in the vanilla.

When cooled, freeze mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Custard Base for Ice Cream from The Kitchn

o

Some folks, like my mom, only make ice cream with a custard base. Mom thinks anything else is not worth eating. I, being the modern, cutting-edge, foodista (that's a joke folks!), have made ice cream with such exotic ingredients as Greek yogurt, eschewing a cooked custard base.

Below is a cooked custard recipe from The Kitchn:

Basic Custard Ice Cream Base

3 cups dairy (whole milk, heavy cream, or a mix)
1 cup sugar
8 egg yolks
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)

Have a strainer in a bowl ready over an ice bath.

Bring the dairy to a simmer in a medium pot over medium-high heat--about 5 minutes. Watch it carefully so it doesn't boil over. Remove from heat as soon as you see bubbles forming and let sit until it's cooled to room temperature--about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, beat the eggs, sugar, and pinch of salt into a thick paste. When the dairy has cooled, stream it in while stirring the egg mixture.

Once combined, return everything to the pan and cook over medium-low heat. Stir gently in an "S" shape, being sure to scrape the bottom of the pan.

The sauce is ready when it looks silky, has thickened so it coats the back of a wooden spoon, and has reached a temperature of about 170-degrees. Strain it into a bowl set over an ice water bath and stir in the vanilla.

When cooled, freeze mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Custard Base for Ice Cream from The Kitchn

o

Jeni's recipes are made with starch (cornstarch or other starch) cooked with dairy (milk, cream), somewhat like a pudding. There are no eggs.

I think you can make the cornstarch/dairy base and freeze it, then defrost and add flavorings before churning your ice cream. I imagine you could freeze the milk and cream and use that to cook with the starch as well.

Cheryl

o

Happy belated birthday! I'm sorry the GW gremlins didn't work, your name didn't pop to the top :-(

Sounds like a GREAT gift, though, enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here