Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cold deli salads at Gelson's

Posted by iris_gal (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 17:25

A friend brought home 3 deli salads from Gelson's deli case.

The Arrugula Quinoa combo was excellent with a few small size edamames tossed in, but the sweet corn kernals did nothing for me. Could not taste the dressing. Definately one to play with. I thought toasted slivered almonds might be nice. Maybe some halved red grapes?

The Super Asian Coldslaw (name may be incorrect) seemed to be dressed with a sweet'n'sour rice vinegar & sugar mix. No oil was apparent. About equal parts shredded cabbage and carrots, some lg.slivers of red and green Bell peppers, a few sliced sugar peas (blanched I think) and some chopped green onion with a bit of the top. Refreshing taste. The pea pods were a bit tough.

A broccoli mandarin combo was so simple. Fresh broccoli small florets, mandarin orange segments in tiny !!! bits (was nice), a few cashews, and generous amount of small cherry halves. The cherries didn't appear to be reconstituted dried. Can't figure them out. Golden raisins would substitute. Dressing was typical vinegar-sugar-mayo mix used on coldslaw. Maybe using rice vinegar.

Weather hot and muggy here. Any refreshing combos you've found?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cold deli salads at Gelson's

Try going to your local Farmers' Market and get some of the fresh fruit that is overflowing at this time of year. We went to the one in Mar Vista yesterday, and there were lots of stands selling all kinds of peachs, plums, plucots, apricots, dates, figs, nuts, oranges, etc., not to mention all the vegetables. I bought eggplant, asparagus, and brocolli plus a bag of Valencia oranges, since my orange tree is not producing at the moment. I do not mix fruit and vegetables in a salad, as a rule however. I also bought lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, Persian cucumbers, and avocados. Unfortunately, the farmers' markets seem to be quite a bit more expensive than regular stores, even when comparing organic items with organic items. Still, the FMs are fun to go to, but Kevin got tired carrying the oranges. I should have bought those last - next time I will remember. They also sell fish at that market. I was hoping to find cherimoya, but I think perhaps only the Santa Barbara and Hollywood markets have that on a regular basis. Sometimes it is available in Santa Monica. I bought the last one at a Japanese market. The ones on my tree won't be ready for another three months or so.

Lars

o

Lars, get Kevin one of those dinky shopping trollies! There are some very fashionable ones here and they're becoming quite trendy.

o

This is my new "go to" kale salad, from the "Smitten Kitchen" blog. Quinoa, ricotta salata, almonds and kale. Could easily add some type of bean. I make it with goat cheese because I am mildly lactose intolerant and fresh cheeses are the worst for that. Also loving Greek style potato salad with olives, artichokes and goat feta, vinegar and oil dressing with Greek seasoning (oregano, green onions, chives, could also add dill). Could add tomatoes too. Lastly, coleslaw with honey mustard poppyseed dressing, bottled. Easy peasy and I get raves when I serve it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kale and quinoa salad with almonds

o

I do frequent farmers' markets. Only place to find delicious apricots.

Thanks for the ideas LPink. Love honey mustard & hadn't thought of that for coldslaw. Hooray for Smittenkitchen's site. Great.

o

The honey mustard poppyseed dressing is good on that broccoli salad too. Anything in the "mustard" vegetable family, like kale, cauliflower, etc That would be "brassicaceae" for all you science geeks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here