SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klseiverd

college/dorm cooking advice!?!

anoriginal
11 years ago

Have seen this topic pop up on a few sites recently.

PLEASE don't slam me, but if you're sending a kid away to college who doesn't have BASIC kitchen survival skills... ya dropped the ball somewhere??

I went to college in 1492 and it still bugs me when I think about all the $$ in dininghall food that didn't get eaten. Back then, NO mini-fridge or microwave in rooms. Most had a hot pot and a "stinger"... that hadda be HIDDEN... NOT allowed!

IF you have a kid who is going off to college... what "tools" would you suggest they take along? I'm a yard saler, so would be looking for CLEAN stuff that looked barely/rarely used. Coffee maker, toaster oven, electric skillet, small crock pot, maybe stand-alone electric burner. Maybe an CHEAP non-stick skillet and sauce pan with a few wooden/plastic/silicon tools.

Would advise kids to scrounge (NOT STEAL) whenever possible... extra S&P, mayo/mustard/ketchup/hot sauce packets, napkins?!?

Would proably look for a simple cookbook on dorm food... imagine they're out there... like 100 ways to cook with Ramen noodles?

If your kid has an electric skillet, some S&P, and a package of (inexpensive) chicken legs... should easily be able to have dorm mates drooling at his/her door!

My Jr year, lived in a big old converted house with 15 other girls. MOST were relatively CLUELESS in kitchen... at TWENTY years old?? Remember my Dad sending me back from a weekend home with 2 lbs of frozen beef short ribs, a BIG tomato & bell pepper, and large can of tomato-something (sauce, puree, whole?). Limited cooking stuff, but room-mate, a few others and I ate like QUEENS... cuz I knew a little something about cooking.

Spent student teaching semester in a REALLY nice 3 BR apartment with 5 other girls... NONE knew much about cooking basics. Dinner was pretty much Monday-Thursday... everybody went home to family/boyfriends. Established early that if ya COOKED, ya didn't have to CLEAN!! THAT worked for me!

When god-daughters were in college they'd get 2-3 care packages during the school year. Think dollar stores have pretty much eliminated the need for that??

When niece heads off to colleg (fall 2014), gonna make her up a care package of "tools" and a cookbook!

Comments (11)