Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with leftover cream cheese frosting?

Posted by aptosca (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 7, 09 at 16:44

I made a homemade carrot cake, with my own home grown carrots but I digress, yesterday for my DS's 25th birthday. I have about one cup or so of cream cheese frosting leftover. I put it on as thick as I could on the cake but ended up having some left. What can I do with it?

BTW, the cake was great. It was also quite good for breakfast with a cup of coffee. It had everything you need for a healthy breakfast; fruit, vegetable, grain, dairy, eggs and lots of fiber. LOL I got the recipe from here I think. I looked through all my cookbooks and not one had a recipe for carrot cake. I thought that was strange since it has been popular, at least with me, for over 30 years. I had lost my old recipe.
Thanks.
Clare

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with leftover cream cheese frosting?

Cinnamon rolls?

Snack by the spoonful?

Yummy, nothing better than carrot cake!

o

Spread between graham crackers and freeze! Yummy "ice cream" sandwich! I used to make these for a quick treat when all my kids were at home. Good for an "oops, no dessert" night.

Cinnamon rolls is a great idea.
Freeze the frosting for use later.
Fill a chocolate, pumpkin, zucchini or carrot roll with it.

Not a bad problem to have!! :)

Deanna

o

Is this a trick question?

:)

o

Freeze it....use it for the next time you make cinnamon rolls...or cup cakes.
But it will keep for a couple of months in the refrigerator...if you can keep the spoon out of it!
Linda C

o

"Leftover cream cheese frosting" is a self-canceling oxymoronic phrase. Ain't happening in this house!

o

"self-cancelling oxymoronic" is a repetitive redundancy.

If you're in Aptos, Clare, I'm only a 4-hour drive from you.

I'll have the coffee pot going and some biscotti to dip into your frosting!

Joe

o

Sandwich between chocolate chunk cookies and freeze. Awesome!

Lori

o

Heck, buy some cinnamon raisin bagels or bread...toast, spread, mmmmmm.

Core strawberries, pipe it in, and plug the ends with chocolate chips.

o

All your suggestions sound yummy. I was thinking of cinnamon rolls or filling for cookies or icing for cupcakes. Maybe I will freeze it and save it for something after we finish this cake.
Clare

o

I've found that leftover cream cheese frosting tastes great on my fingers ;-).

o

Sorry, Joe, I'm closer, only about 30 minutes away. ;-)

o
RE: What to do with leftover +

That reminds me riverrat...

Emily Post, queen of etiquette, stated once, "French fries should never be eaten with the fingers. The fingers should be eaten separately."

And YEAH, sushipup -- but do you have the coffee and biscotti waiting????

Joe

o

I can't add much to what's been posted so far. My group loves it on cinnamon rolls...then there is the spoon and fingers.

David

o

I was wondering - would it be good on the summer torte? I am making a fresh peach one tomorrow for breakfast. Could just put a dollop of it on the torte when serving. Or would the frosting be a bit much?
Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: summer torte

o

In the old days, my mom always spread left over icing on graham crackers, topped it with another gramham cracker, and stores them in the refrigerator for snacks. With 4 kids in the family, they did not make it through the day.

With left over pie crust, she baked stickies--rolled out the remaining dough, buttered it, sprinkled it with light brown sugar and a little cinnamon, folded the dough in half and sealed the edges and baked. These stickies never had a chance to cool completely before they disappeared.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here