SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Do apples ripen after being picked?

Lars
14 years ago

Or rather, do they ripen after after having fallen off of a tree? Instead of the wonderful citrus and fig trees I had in Venice, I now have a Fuji apple tree, along with a puny plum tree that only yielded about 12 plums. Those plum trees are going to get replaced!! When I can afford it, I will replace the ornamental peach tree, which is taking up valuable real estate. I could have a large avocado tree there instead.

Anyway, back to apples. I almost never buy apples, although I do like to cook with them from time to time, and I like to eat apple slices drizzled with aged Balsamic vinegar. The apple that fell from my tree is mostly green with just a bit of rosy color showing up on the bottom. I'm sure it's not yet ripe, since the pictures I have found showed fully red apples. I have no desire to eat an apple that is not yet ripe.

I might leave the apple tree in the yard, depending on how much work it ends up being to maintain. It looks like it might need a lot of pruning, but I know nothing about it. I prefer to stick with trees that I know, like lemon, lime, orange, avocado, etc. I won't plant another fig tree here because the yard is too small for that plus all the citrus that I want. It really hurt me the other day when I had to buy limes at the grocery store. They were 50¢ each! I won't be planting another mango tree either, since they use way too much water and take up a huge amount of space.

I'll try to post some photos later, possibly today, now that I am getting a bit caught up.

Lars

Comments (8)