Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peaches too juicy for pie?

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 16:15

I made a passable peach pie this weekend but the peaches were exceedingly juicy. I had to drain out the pie before baking it! I tried my usual tricks of baking it on the bottom rack of the oven and also par baking the bottom crust for seven minutes. I baked it at 400 for half the baking time and 350 for the remainder. (basically 25/30 min.) The crust was still a bit soggy though. Perhaps that was inevitable. I seem to have mastered getting my filling to set up, so it wasn't super runny, but the peaches were just wet, that's the way they were. Any other tips for keeping pie crust crusty? Perhaps when the fruit is that juicy I should just do cobbler or crisp. I could have let the fruit macerate a while and then thickened the drained juice but I'm not sure if that would be worth the trouble. I should have made jam, yummo! The pie is not bad, but I'm always in search of the perfect pie. I've managed to master the art of getting fruit filling to set well, but still working on the crust part.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peaches too juicy for pie?

I think you hit upon your own solution by macerating the peaches and then thickening the drained juices. That is really not that much trouble. I do something similar with strawberries, which I prefer to peaches.

Have you tried the Vodka pie crust recipe? The Vodka evaporates during cooking and helps prevent the crust from getting soggy, but I've only done it with apple pies, since I have an apple tree.

Lars

o

A restaurant here in California, Marie Calendars has a delicious fresh peach pie. They have killer pie crust, of course, bake it, and pile it high with fresh cut peaches tossed in some kind of peachy clear glaze. Then comes the whipped cream. It's delish!!

We have a peach tree, but ours got brown rot this year. It's a cling peach, so not fun to slice, but what we tasted was good. I had the pie crusts all made, but we didn't get around to the spray program. We summer pruned, so hopefully, next year.

I make my crusts with sourdough starter, and they are so tender and flaky, they melt in your mouth. Our apple tree produces so many apples, I have enough frozen pie filling to last till next harvest. Anna Apple ripens in June.

Suzi

o

This bottom crust was just really soaked in peach juice, I can't imagine any water evaporating during the cooking on the bottom crust. Top crust was fine. I think also that I should have used a metal pie pan. I used a ceramic one, not as good heat transfer to the crust part. When I pre-bake the bottom crust though, the top crust doesn't stick to it very well. I guess I could go for a crumb crust for really juicy pies, and par-bake the bottom crust more. My other peach pie recipe (peaches and cream pie) has a oatmeal crumb crust. This was a recipe Annie posted, for ginger peach pie. It was delish!

How do you do a sourdough pie? Sounds intriguing!

o

We recently watched an episode of Cooks County on PBS. They made peaches and cream pie. They roasted the peaches first to get rid of excess moisture and concentrate the flavors. I haven't tried it yet but it certainly makes sense.

This is from their website: "Time and again the juicy peaches wrecked watery havoc on our custardy pie filling. Roasting them on the upper-middle rack for about 45 minutes evaporated their excess liquid, and a dusting of granulated sugar encouraged a complementary caramelized coating."

So, for what it's worth.....

o

Another thing to try is the recipe for the tart base in the link below. It's super quick and tasty and you can put any fruit, however juicy on top after. It's very light and crisp and stores well - un-topped!

Here is a link that might be useful: tart

o

Somewhere I saw or read mention of putting a sheet pan on the bottom rack in the oven while preheating & baking the pie on the sheet pan to help brown the bottom crust. I usually bake my pies on a sheet pan to prevent spillover, but so far I forget to put it in the oven while preheating, so I don't know how well it works.

o

I used an aluminum sheet pan under the pie pan. That was a necessity with a pie that juicy! Thank heavens all that sugary juice didn't spill onto my oven! Maybe I should have upped the oven temp. I have seen recommendations for as high as 425. I used a store bought pie crust, which is what I almost always do or else I would never eat pie! I don't even have my Cuisinart, rolling pin or tool for cutting in butter at my house now. Knowing my limitations I guess I should have gone for the cobbler! But anyway, there will be a next time because peaches are just about my favorite fruit and the season is fairly long in MI. Unless we get a frost with all this new polar vortex talk!

o

Oh, and Islay thanks for the almond tart crust recipe! I'm always looking for ways to use up the pound of ground almonds I bought!

o

Perhaps this is a sacrilege, but with particularly juicy fruit, I sprinkle a tablespoon (more or less, depending on the amount of juice) of minute tapioca in the bottom of the crust before adding the filling. It absorbs much of the juice and once baked it has disappeared into the fruit in flavor and texture.

o

It's pretty standard to thicken your filling with either tapioca or cornstarch or flour. For cherry pies I use tapioca (about 3 Tbs). For peach pie I use flour mixed in with the sugar (probably 3-4 Tbs). When the filling is thickened that way, it does not sog up the bottom crust.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here