Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with fingerling potatoes

Posted by girlsingardens (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 08 at 16:09

I got some good looking fingerling potatoes at the farmer's market on Saturday. Now I am trying to figure out what to do with them. I already have 2-3 pounds of new potatoes besides the pound and a half of fingerling potatoes. Does anyone have any ideas for cooking and serving these cute potatoes. Hopefully nothing to heat up the house because it is 100+ outside.

Stacie
girlsingardens

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with fingerling potatoes

SORRY -- But these WILL heat up the house...

Haricot Vert and Roasted Fingerling Potato Salad
with Rosemary Vinaigrette

Serves 8 to 10

Ingredients

3 pounds red fingerling potatoes
2/3 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic
cup red-wine vinegar
1 Tbs fresh rosemary leaves
(or 1 teaspoon crumbled dried),
plus rosemary sprigs for garnish
1 medium red onion, halved lengthwise
and sliced thin lengthwise
2 pounds haricot verts, cut in half crosswise
24 Kalamata or Nioise olives, pitted and halved

Directions

Halve each potato crosswise, unpeeled.

In a large roasting pan, heat 1/3 cup of the oil in the middle of a preheated 425F. oven for 5 minutes, add the potatoes, tossing them to coat them with the oil, and roast them, stirring them every 10 minutes, for 30 minutes, or until they are tender.

Let the potatoes cool in the pan.

In a blender puree the garlic, the vinegar, the rosemary leaves, and salt to taste, with the motor running add the remaining 1/3 cup oil in a stream, and blend the dressing until it is emulsified.

In a small bowl of ice and cold water let the onion soak for 5 minutes, drain it well, and pat it dry.

Into a kettle of boiling salted water, toss in the beans and cook for 5 minutes, or until they are crisp-tender. Drain them in a colander. Immediately refresh the beans under cold water and pat them dry.

In a very large bowl, combine the potatoes, the onion, the beans, and the olives, add the dressing, and toss the salad gently. Serve the salad, garnished with the rosemary sprigs, at room temperature.

Roasted Mixed Baby Vegetables

Serves 6-8

Ingredients

pound baby beets (red or gold or candy striped), peeled
pound baby carrots
pound fingerling potatoes, cut in half if large
pound cipollini onions
olive oil
salt
several sprigs of thyme

Toss the vegetables with enough olive oil to just coat.

Spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and add the thyme sprigs.

Roast, covered, at 375F until easily pierced with a knife (about 50 minutes, depending on size of vegetables).

Toss with another touch of salt.

Serve warm or cold.

Honey-Dijon Roasted Fingerlings

Serves 6-8

Ingredients

2 lbs fingerling potatoes (any kind or mixed)
2 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs Kosher salt
1 Tbs fresh ground black pepper
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
1 Tbs honey
1 Tbs chives, fresh, chopped

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425.

Wash fingerling potatoes in cool water, pat dry, and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl toss together olive oil, salt, pepper, mustard and honey.

Add fingerlings to mixture and coat each potato well. Transfer fingerlings to a
13 x 9 baking dish.

Place in center of oven and bake fingerling potatoes uncovered 25 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork.

Garnish with chopped chives and serve immediately.

Joe

o

You can either cut in half or leave whole, wash and prick once or twice with a fork, and microwave 3-4 minutes, then pan sear them, cut side down in some EVOO and butter, little kosher salt and black pepper is all they need, until tender. Or for a little extra flavor, a good sprinkle of Parm. If they are whole, just shimmy and shake them in the pan.
Gives you a bit of a "roasting" flavor without the oven on. You can also do them sorta like above in foil packets on the grill.

o

ROASTED POTATOES WITH ROSEMARY

*1 pounds small new potatoes or can slice or dice up larger potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil and/or butter or a mixture of the two
4 cloves freshly chopped garlic
cup finely chopped sweet yellow onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste

Pierce potatoes with a fork. Heat the oil/butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook potatoes until almost tender, about 25 minutes. Add the garlic onion and rosemary. Reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking until very tender and brown, about 10 minutes. Instead of cooking this on top of the stove, it can be baked in the oven.

*Fingerling potatoes can be substituted.

o

I love making my regular potato salad with fingerlings cooked whole, when cut up into chunks. They cook through very quickly and the texture is just right.

o

I'm along the lines of the ones above. I just wash them up, coat with olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic and roast at high temp until done. I'm sure any fresh herb that you like would be wonderful added on at the end (oregano, rosemary, thyme, etc.)

I like the idea of using for potato salad. I bet they would be good using a combo. of them and red baby potatoes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here