Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Farberware for induction? (vs Tramontina perhaps?)

Posted by northcarolina (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 15:40

Hi --

I'm getting a new induction range which will be delivered this week. I will need some new pots since my old Farberware and my husband's old Revere won't work with induction. I was looking at cookware in BB&B today (wanted to see what all the fuss was about with All Clad) and I saw some Farberware Classic that looks just like mine but with glass lids. I thought "what a shame it won't work with induction," tried my magnet on the bottom anyway, and... the magnet stuck. Well now. So the new generation of Farberware Classic is indeed induction compatible, black resin handles and all.

I also swung through Tues. Morning and saw some Tramontina, and it is certainly good-looking cookware. I know a lot of people on GW say that Tramontina works very nicely with induction. The pots they had in stock wouldn't do for me, because I need to be able to hold my small pots with one hand and all these had the short double handles, but I know I can order others online.

So has anyone tried the newer Farberware Classic on induction, and can you tell any difference in performance between that and other induction-compatible cookware? There is a difference in look, I realize. Do I want clad sides or just bottoms? I am thinking just bottoms, but I haven't cooked on induction so I don't know. How about handle length? I do like the shortish handles on my existing Farberware and Revere (easier to pick up full pots and fit well in my lazy susan corner cabinet); are Tramontina handles much longer?

I think that's all. I don't really need the pots to be oven-compatible, because I use my cast iron for that. I don't need a set, because I rarely use any skillets other than my cast iron ones. I actually don't mind spending some money on good pots since I don't need many and I will use them for years -- but the All-Clad handles weren't comfortable for me anyway and I don't mind NOT spending lots of money either (ha). My old Farberware is in great shape after 20+ years, so I have no fears about the durability of the new edition even though its price is so much lower than AC.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Farberware Classic on farberwarecookware.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Farberware for induction? (vs Tramontina perhaps?)

Nobody seems to know about Farberware and induction. :(

I got an induction range last December and love it. Didn't need to buy much new cookware because most of what I already had was Al Clad or LC. Biggest bummer is that I can't use my copper anymore but I was getting tired of polishing that stuff after 30 years anyway and had already divided most of it up between my DD and DDIL.

I love my All Clad and would buy it again if I needed another pan. Reason? It is Made in America and I like to support American jobs. I don't know where Farberware is made but if it is made in China that would negatively influence my decision? I think All Clad's small electrics are made in China (I don't own any.) I try to keep China out of our kitchen.

/tricia

o

I have 36-year old Saladmaster Stainless Steel Cookware which works on my induction hot plate (which I use nearly exclusively for cooking), and I purchased 10-inch and a 12-inch Faberware non-stick skillets to use on it and love these heavy pans which have stainless steel bottoms.

I am using a Max Burton Induction hot plate which came with an interface disk and it allows me to use non-induction cookware on induction surface (like my non-stick griddle). You might want to check into getting an interface disk and get cookware as needed.

-Grainlady

o

I bought an 8" Tramontina omelet pan yesterday because my mother has one, and it was perfect for making omelets each day for DF, DB, and me. Another plus is that it is made in USA (Texas), and it does not weigh too much. Normally I am not a fan of teflon, but I make an exception for omelet pans, partly from Julia Child's recommendation, but mainly because they work so well for making French omelets.

Lars

o

I don't think Farberware Classic works on induction. Farberware Millennium does. Millennium sold today is not quite equal the quality of 3-4 years ago. I have an older piece which is my go-to pot for my induction cooktop. But I love my Tram. triply 8 inch frypan, too.

Tramontina tri-ply definitely works on induction, was recommended by ATK as almost equal in quality to AC, and happens to be on sale right now. 8 pc. set is $110 and the 10 pc. set is abt. $200.

The 8 pc. set consists of 1,2,3 and 5 qt. pots with 8 and 10 inch frypans. The 10 pc. set is 1,2,3,5 and 12 qt. pots and 10 and 12 inch frypans.

Tramontina is clad all the way up and Farberware has a clad disc bottom only. The jury is out on the merit of each but pricey Demeyere says that disc clad pots are better for braising and soups, and clad sides are better for delicate sauces. I like both. Disc bottoms are cheaper.

I am a pot-aholic.

o

Tricia - I'm glad you like your induction range! I am not sure where Farberware is made either. Like so many things now, it might be designed one place, have components made somewhere else and final assembly done yet elsewhere.

Grainlady - excellent point about the interface disk if I don't find pots I like right away. I have heard good things about Saladmaster and I see that it is still being made, so I will check it out.

Lars, thanks for the recommendation. I don't have an omelet pan now; I make them (not very often) in cast iron and they don't stick, but I can't do the Julia flip with my iron skillets. I probably couldn't do it with an omelet pan either, haha -- would have to take a pan of dry beans outside to practice, as she suggested. I have been thinking it would be a good idea to have a slope-sided pan so I will take a look at the Tramontina one while I am out looking.

Westsider -- I didn't think so either, but this new set of Classic does say it works on induction, and the magnet does stick. It must be a recent improvement. I need to go look at Millennium, thanks for the reminder about that. And more Tramontina too.

Thank you all for weighing in! The hunt is actually pretty fun, especially knowing that I can always use an interface disk for a while -- or go to IKEA for their $10 five-piece set until I decide, and then donate it to charity later. (Those are small pots but I already have big ones that work anyway.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Possibly the least expensive induction cookware in existence? (Ikea)

o

BBB had the Tramontina omelet pan here for $16, and using a $5 off coupon, the price was $11! It's definitely worth it, as it makes making omelets so easy that they are fun.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: Julia Child omelet show

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here