Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For Tricia

Posted by Lindac (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 15:40

Salt cod cakes.
This takes planning ahead!!
After dinner, put the dried cod to soak in a bowl of water....before bed change the water, when you get up in the morning, change the water, change the water again at noon....and when you are ready to prepare dinner, drain the cod, put peeled and chunked idaho potatoes into a pan covered with water to boil. Put a small chopped onion into a pan with 1/2 stick of butter to cook....don't brown!!! Your goal is to have roughly the same quantity of potatoes as cod. Put the cod into a pan cover with water and bring to a boil and simmer until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
Drain the fish and mash the potatoes, pull the fish apart with a fork and mix with a roughly equal amount of mashed potatoes, add an egg and a yolk and the cooked onion with the butter...one egg and a yolk for a pound of fish.
Shape into flat patties....about 8, dredge with fine bread crumbs, chill.....and fry in a pan in about 1/2 inch of oil....but bacon grease is better.
Serve with tomatoes that you have peeled and seeded and simmered with some chopped celery, an onion and parsley leaves.....sweeten with a little sugar if it seems sour, salt to taste and thicken with torn up with bread!

And then there is taramosalata and baccala....yummy stuff all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For Tricia

Serve with toms, huh? OK, will be trying this again in the next few weeks.

Here I thought the whole purpose of the salt cure was to keep the darn stuff but you can't keep it if it blows you out of the house! Quite obviously it was stored outside.

Thanks, Linda. I'm sure I never would have tried again if this had not come up on the "Most Missed" thread. Now, I'll give it another go - I can hardly wait to see the look on DH's face when I tell him!

/tricia

o

When I was a kid, it came in a wooden box....I don't think my mother used it all at once....but what she did with the rest...??
I think I have a box some where....my father used one for his "stuff" in his dresser drawer.....wonder how he got the smell out???

o

We made it, make it like Linda except that we just coat the patties with flour instead of crumbs. They're damp enough that the flour that sticks to them is enough. I like that crust better than the bread crumbs and it's how Nonna made them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here