Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corned Beef Hash-tell me about yours

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 15:33

I was craving corned beef hash so I stopped at the deli counter and had them slice me up two very thick slices of corned beef. (the only other option was canned corned beef...ugh!)

When I got home I cut it up and tossed it in the FP and chopped it fine. Fried it up in some butter and oil with some chopped, cooked potatoes and chopped onion, a sprinkle of seasoned salt and S&P.

Topped it witha poached egg and that was dinner. It was good, but not as flavorful as I had hoped. Maybe I am just comparing it to that salty Mary Kitchen canned stuff, I dunno.

Anything I could have/should have added that would have kicked up the flavor a bit?

How do you make your corned beef hash?

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corned Beef Hash-tell me about yours

I only make it when I have leftover corned beef from the night before. It has plenty of flavor because I add extra spices. I don't think deli corned beef has much flavor to begin with.
To pump up the flavor of deli CB you would have to add more seasonings, garlic, onion, thyme, and a little allspice.Maybe even a dash of hot sauce. S+P of course too.

Nancy

o

Always made it with leftover corned beef I have cooked. I take the leftovers from a boiled dinner and run it through the food grinder, with a little added raw onion.
Perhaps the difference is that the potatoes have been cooked in the broth from the corned beef and have a lot of salty spicy flavor.

o

I've never made my own corned beef. I think I tried it once decades ago and it came out tough and chewy, awful....never tried it again.

Linda

o

Simmer it....just under boil, covered with water....with onions and add potatoes and carrots about 40 minutes before you plan to eat.
I have cooked a ton of them that way...over the years, easily 150....and never had one that was tough and stringy.

o

I also make corned beef hash when I have corned beef left over. I've been known to cook a corned beef just to make hash, it's the best part of a corned beef dinner!

I dice some fresh potatoes, I like reds with the skins left on. Mince some leftover roast beef and an onion. Start the onions in some butter, add the potatoes and corned beef. Stir to sautee, then add some homemade beef broth and put the lid on. When the potatoes are done, the hash is done, let any remaining broth simmer away and brown the potatoes, then serve.

Elery never liked corned beef hash until he had mine. I never had a recipe, Grandma made it that way, so that's how I do it. There are no proportions, we just used as much as we had. More people, more potatoes!

Annie

o

We love Yankee Red Flannel Corned Beef Hash but use the leftovers from a boiled dinner & include the cabbage plus add beets.

Yankee Red Flannel Hash (approximate ingredients - use whatever leftovers you have)

1-1/2 cups chopped corned beef
1 cup chopped cooked beets
1 cup chopped cold boiled potatoes
1 cup leftover chopped cabbage
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed or finely chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream (or whole milk)
2 tablespoons butter

Heat butter and saute onion and garlic until soft. In a large bowl mix together corned beef, beets, potatoes and greens with the cream or milk. Stir until well-coated. Add mixture to onion/garlic saute in pan. Stir ocasionally until it is heated thoroughly. Continue to cook until a brown crust forms underneath. Serve with fried eggs.

/tricia

o

Linda (doucanoe) - Just to clarify, though I could be wrong, I'm pretty sure everyone's talking about cooking corned beef as in buying corned beef and simmering it for dinner, not actually corning a brisket from scratch.

o

I agree, FOAS. I have never even attempted to make corned beef from scratch. The time I bought the seasoned brisket and cooked that up (I don't recall the method, it was eons ago) it was like shoe leather.

I may try it again now that I have people that can hold my hand along the journey! LOL

Linda

o

Linda, I do corned beef in the crockpot, 8 hours and it falls apart into shreds.

I have made my own corned beef brisket from scratch. Twice. It was so not worth it, so once a year for St. Patrick's Day I buy a corned beef brisket. I like the flat instead of the point, and it's one of the very few cuts of commercially produced beef that I actually purchase because I only make it once a year. It's enough.

Annie

o

I simmer my corned beef with ginger ale, makes it much less salty.
Anyway, I always cook extra potatoes, carrots and cabbage in anticipation of corned beef hash. Chop up an onion and fry it in some butter, then add small cubes of corned beef, potatoes, carrots and cabbage. Fry until a crust forms on the bottom (mix this in and cook some more to get more crusty bits. DH's favourite part is the crusty bits :-)
Oddly, DD never liked the original corned beef dinner but she loved the hash.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here