SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Carbonara,----- and Sayonara

In the past, a few people had come to me and asked me to give them ideas to plate their food for various competitions, including auditioning for the Master Chef TV show.

I got to think, while I have been flattered that people trusted me, but what if I was really no good, and have been giving people useless suggestions and messed up their opportunities?

I decided I needed to try it out and find out for myself. So I entered into a competition sponsored by a food forum which has 50,000 members.

The theme of the cooking competition is "Pasta"

The pasta dish I had originally planned failed. It did not come out the way I thought it would (I will post that failed one sometime).

In the last remaining few hours, I noticed lobsters were on sale for $4.79 a lb. So I made smoked lobster carbonara, submitted just minutes before the entry time deadline.

This morning, I got an e. mail from that forum, my entry won the first prize!! Hahaa!

The recognition award is a brand new Thermapen!

Thanks to my carbonara, I can say sayonara to my 6 year old $3.00 digital thermometer! :-)

dcarch

Smoked Lobster Carbonara (To prevent cheating, the label "Freedom" is a required code word to make sure that the dish has been created just for this competition.)

Comments (21)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

Congratulations!

Aw, you doubted our true admiration for your work. Dang. We tried so hard to let you know we like it. Now you know it's not false praise. You go!

• ritaweeda
    10 years ago

Wow that's drop-dead professional-looking! And - I'm soooo glad you didn't decide to use one of those dreadful, snooty, elitist square or rectangular plates, too!!

• User
    10 years ago

Congrats!! So when is your next competition.

• User
    10 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by CLBlakey on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 18:27

• jimster
    10 years ago

Excellent! This will give your cooking some much deserved exposure.

You would be a tough contender in any cooking contest.

Jim

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

Congratulations - nice job!

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone. It was kind of fun to enter, even more fun to win. LOL!

That forum sometimes give out great prizes for their competitions. I was told one time they gave a smoker worth $1,000.

Is this some kind of Karma?

I am philosophically against buying a Thermapen. It is an excellent thermometer, but not at close to $100.00.

As I said, my digital thermometer which served me well for 6 years and is still going strong only costed less than $3.00.

I said to myself, I am never going to own a Thermapen!

Now, I am forced to have a Thermapen! LOL!

dcarch

• KatieC
    10 years ago

Happy to relieve you of the burden of owning a Thermapen, dcarch :)

Pretty food...

• annie1992
    10 years ago

I agree, I'd never pay $100 for a thermometer, no matter how well it works. Elery would love to have one, though, go figure.

Congratulations on the contest, carbonara is one of the pasta dishes I actually like. And, of course, it's so bad for me, go figure. Lobster is good for you, so that makes up for it, maybe.....

Annie

Original Author
    10 years ago

katiec, Thanks, and thanks for the offer. Karma being what it is, I have a feeling that when it arrives, my 6 year old $3.00 job will immediately retire, and I would be forced to use that Thermapen against my will :-).

Thanks Annie, Yes, carbonara is definitely comfort food, all that bacon and egg yolks.

dcarch

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    10 years ago

Good job! I am not at all surprised that you won. To me part of the appeal of this forum is your food art. A Thermapen too!

• Islay_Corbel
    10 years ago

Wonderful!

• sally2_gw
    10 years ago

Way to go, Dcarch! And, I'm so happy you're not going. I was a bit worried when I saw your title.

Sally

• Solsthumper
    10 years ago

Not at all surprised that you won DC. Congratulations!
    Competitions are always fun, especially when you win.

While true artists don't need every tool known to man, in order to create a masterpiece, they're still nice to own, so enjoy the prize and the praise :)

Sol

• tami_ohio
    10 years ago

Congratulations! And it looks great.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

I want a thermapen but would never buy one. Recently surprised by the gifting on the web!
    Congrats on the win. Seems it is a new era for bloggers and such. Enter before it slides away.
    I won an ipod...gave it to my nephew.
    What i noticed immediately is your swirl of the noodles. In your creative mind and experience, you did what others may not think of. I would have overlapped the limes on the other side of the plate from the lobster swirl, for balance. Critics like a simple white plate.
    (don't take me too seriously, but i am an artist and like visual balanced construction)
    Again congrats on the win. Keep doing that! Food is art and visually stimulating.

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

Fantastic but not surprising!!! Had I known you were seeking validation for your plating, I would have reached out with the numerous awards that I have bestowed on you from my den.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you again everyone. I think I have shown how much fun you can have with cooking, besides the enjoyment of eating.

sleevendog, you have a great artistic eye. In fact, I was having doubts about balance of the plating. I might have done things a little different if I had more time.

The problem was the size of the lobsters, they were bigger than they were supposed to be. The store ran out of chicken lobsters, they had to give me the largest size ones at the same price. Even I used a 14 inch platter, the plating still look crowded.

dcarch

• Teresa_MN
    10 years ago

Like others I am not surprised by your well deserved win! Congrats!

"I have a feeling that when it arrives, my 6 year old $3.00 job will immediately retire." dcarch

I seriously doubt that. I have a feeling you are going to take that 6-year old thermometer and pair it with a hair dryer, a bird bath, some string and who knows what else. And you will come up with a tool that no one has heard of and it will serve multiple, magical purposes!

Teresa

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

The MacGyver of the Cooking Forum. HA! Teresa, you just made me spit out my drink.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hahaa, Teresa & Rob!

Yes, I do have a bad habit of re-purposing junk.

dcarch

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville