SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacy3_gw

YOWEE!! Salsa verde is too hot!

stacy3
15 years ago

I am making this recipe from a june 07 issue of bonappetit - and the salsa verde is just cooking. the store only had 2 lbs of tomatillos so I scaled the recipe down a bit and used one jalapeno and it's still SOOOO hot! And I like hot. I have some green tomatoes in my garden and that's the only thing I can think of to remedy it - am I totally off base? Will cooking it a bit longer tone it down any?

What do you think? The flavor is good, but heck, I don't want to set us all on fire.

Salsa Verde

Makes about 4 cups.

3 pounds tomatillos, husked, rinsed

2 large jalape chiles, stems removed

5 small garlic cloves, peeled

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 1/2 bunches fresh cilantro, thick bottom stems trimmed

3/4 cup loosely packed fresh Italian parsley leaves

1/3 cup (packed) fresh mint leaves

1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Mix first 2 ingredients in large saucepan. Cover with water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer until soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes. Drain.

Coarsely chop tomatillo mixture, garlic, and cumin in processor using on/off turns. Add next 3 ingredients; blend until herbs are chopped and salsa is chunky.

Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add salsa and simmer until slightly thickened and reduced to 4 cups, about 10 minutes. Stir in salt.

Stacked chicken enchiladas with salsa verde and cheese

Bon Appétit : June 2007

These easy enchiladas have a bright, lively flavor thanks to lots of tomatillos, fresh herbs, and two kinds of chiles.

Makes 6 servings.

Roberto Santibañez

Rosa Mexicano

2 poblano chiles* (8 ounces total)

6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided

12 (5- to 6-inch-diameter) corn tortillas

4 cups salsa verde, divided

2 cups shredded roasted chicken, divided

3/4 cup sour cream, stirred to loosen, divided

6 ounces grated Emmenthal, Muenster, or Mexican Chihuahua cheese (about 1 1/2 cups packed)

3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Pickled red onions

*Fresh green chiles; available at some supermarkets and at specialty foods stores and Latin markets.

Char chiles directly over gas flame or in broiler until blackened all over. Enclose in paper bag; let stand 10 minutes. Peel and seed, then cut into 2x1/2-inch strips.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tortilla to skillet; cook until slightly softened, about 15 seconds per side, turning with tongs. Transfer tortilla to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining tortillas, adding oil to skillet as needed.

Comments (14)